Learn how to troubleshoot the QuickBooks Desktop or Payroll Update Errors
QuickBooks Desktop and Payroll are innovative accounting software that are easy to use and don’t require users to go through any training. And what makes it even better, are some of the features that help in simplifying the business and help you to pay your employees very easily. The drawback behind this software can be the errors you might bump into, when using it. However, while updating the software users may receive some errors. Many of the reported QuickBooks Desktop and Payroll errors start with number 15xxx such as 15103, 15104, 15105, 15106, 15223, 15240, etc. If you too have received issues that start with 15xxx, here is how you can fix them.
In this segment, we will be discussing some of the common QuickBooks desktop payroll errors, along with their causes and fixes to the same. For further information, all you need is to stay tuned to this segment and scroll through carefully.
Common QuickBooks desktop payroll errors
Some of the common QuickBooks desktop payroll errors include the following:
- Intuit QuickBooks payroll error 15102
- QuickBooks payroll error code 15240
- QuickBooks payroll update error 17337
- Payroll error PS033, PS038
- QuickBooks error 30159
- QuickBooks error PS032
- QB payroll update errors
- Payroll error PS085
- QuickBooks error PS077
What reasons can be behind the occurrence of QuickBooks payroll errors?
There can be a several reasons that can trigger the QuickBooks desktop payroll errors. These issues include the following:
- Just in case the tax table file in the payroll folder is damaged.
- Due to invalid employer identification number (EIN).
- Another reason can be if your billing information is incorrect.
- When the QuickBooks payroll is updated to the latest version.
- You might face similar issue just in case the employer identification number is invalid.
Solution steps to Resolve most common QuickBooks desktop update or payroll errors
Every error has its solution, so is the case with the QuickBooks payroll related issues. You can implement the below stated set of steps, so as to tackle out the error with much ease.
Method 1: Renaming CPS folder in the system
- You need to first have to update QuickBooks payroll tax table.
- Furthermore, you would have to open my computer and head to the local drive C:\ProgramFiles\Intuit\QuickBooks 20XX\Components\Payroll\CPS.
- Now, the XX here denotes the year of the QuickBooks version like QuickBooks desktop 2022, QuickBooks 2021, QuickBooks 2020, QuickBooks 2019 etc.
- Next step is to rename the CPS folder to CPSOLD and check if the issue is fixed.
- Update QuickBooks payroll tax table to check if the issue is resolved.
Method 2: Disable the user account control
- Under this method, you are supposed to press hold Windows + R keys and this will open the run program.
- Furthermore, you need to type in control panel and click on OK tab.
- Click on the user accounts and select the user account classic view tab.
- At last, head back to the change user account control settings tab and select never notify tab.
Method 3: Uninstall and reinstall QuickBooks
If the first two methods didn’t work for you, then in that case, you can perform the following methods:
- At first, you are supposed to click on to the Microsoft Windows Start tab and then select the control panel.
- You need to further manually remove the following QuickBooks installation folders:
- C:\Program Files\Intuit
- C:\Program Files \Common Files \Intuit
- C:\Documents and Settings\ All users\ Application data\Intuit
- C:\Documents and settings \All Users\Application data\Common files\ Intuit
- C:\DOuments and Settings \ All users\ documents Shared documents\ Intuit
Method 4: Run a repair on QuickBooks
In case none of the first three methods worked for you in tackling out the payroll errors, then we suggest you to run a repair on QuickBooks. The steps you would have to follow are as follows:
- Start with click on to the start tab and select control panel.
- Furthermore, you would have to double click the add or remove programs.
- Select the QuickBooks program.
- And click on to the change or remove program tab.
- Now, in the QuickBooks installation windows click on the next tab.
- Furthermore, in the QuickBooks maintenance window, select on repair, and click on to next tab and click on repair tab as well.
- Finally hit a click on to the finish tab in the QuickBooks maintenance complete window.
- And you are good to go.
Method 5: Run Reboot.bat
- Close QuickBooks Desktop/Payroll.
- Find and open the folder where reboot.bat file is saved.
- Run the file as an Administrator.
- A DOS command window will pop up. Let the file utility complete and window will close down its own. Don’t close that manually.
- Restart your computer.
- Now open QuickBooks Desktop and see if the issue is fixed.
More often than not, the above-mentioned steps shall fix the error. In case the error persists, you can move on to the next steps.
Method 6: Verify Internet Explorer Settings
If your computer is connected to the internet but you are unable to update your QuickBooks Desktop or Payroll or in performing any other QB task, you should consider configuring Internet Explorer in your system.)
- Set Internet Explorer as your default browser.
- Verify the date and time on your computer.
- Verify the Cipher Speed.
- Go to tools and click Internet Options to update settings.
Method 7: Close all the QuickBooks processes
- Make sure you have an active subscription.
- Reset the QB Desktop update.
- Check the accuracy of the payroll service key.
- Restart your system.
- Go to Task manager > Processes tab > Qbwebconnector.exe > End process.
If the issue still exists, move on to the next solution.
Method 8: Configure firewall and Internet security settings
Perform this step if you know how to configure firewall, antivirus and other third party programs. In case you need assistance you refer to Intuit’s official site or speak to your IT team.
Method 9: Install or uninstall QB Desktop in Selective Startup
- Open Run command (press Window and R keys together) and type msconfig.
- Select OK button.
- Click the General tab, then selective startup, and Load system services.
- Open Services tab and select hide all Microsoft Services.
- Disable all.
- Uncheck the Hide all Microsoft Services checkbox.
- Verify the Windows Installer checkbox is clicked. Select OK button.
- Click Restart on the System Configuration window.
- Once your computer is back on, you can install, uninstall or reinstall QuickBooks Desktop through clean install.
You may see: How to Disable Merchant Services in QuickBooks MAC?
Method 10: Install a digital signature certificate
- Firstly navigate to C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks.
- After that hit a right-click on QBW32.exe.
- Choose Properties option.
- Now you have to move to the Digital Signature tab.
- Ensure that the Intuit is selected in the signature list.
- After that choose the Details option.
- Choose the View Certificate option, In Digital Signature Details window.
- Now choose the Install Certificate.
- Choose the Next option until the Finish message is displayed on your computer screen.
- After that choose Finish button.
- Reboot your computer.
- Once the system rebooted successfully you need to open your QuickBooks desktop and then re-download the update.
Method 11: Download the updates in Safe Mode
- You need to Open your computer in Safe Mode.
- After that Re-download the update.
- Once the download process succeed, reboot your computer in Normal Mode.
- Finally try to re-download the update in normal mode.
A few 15xxx errors may require some additional resolutions
Below you will find few 15xxx series errors and it’s solution steps:
Solution Steps for QuickBooks payroll error 15223
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Click on the Gear icon and select Internet Options.
- Open Advanced tab.
- Go to Security and find Use TLS 1.0, TLS 1.1, and Use TLS 1.2..
- Verify that Use TLS 1.0 box is unchecked and Use TLS 1.1 and Use TLS 1.1 boxes are checked.
- Click Apply and then OK.
- Retry the update.
- If the error still appears, uninstall and install QuickBooks Desktop in Selective Startup and retry the update.
If the issue still exists, follow these steps:
- Consider registering .dll files.
- Open Internet Explorer and clear SSL state.
- You may have to configure Firewall and Internet security settings.
Solution Steps for QuickBooks update error 15240
- Run QuickBooks as Windows Administrator.
- Verify your computer’s date and time settings.
- Include Windows permissions to the installation folders of QuickBooks.
- Open and verify the Internet Explorer settings.
- Check your firewall.
See Also; How to Get Rid of QuickBooks error 9999?
Solution Steps for QuickBooks payroll update error 15271
- Turn off the UAC (User Account Control) in Windows. If this step doesn’t fix the issue, move on to the next step.
- Close and reopen QuickBooks Desktop/Payroll.
- In case the QuickBooks Update Service message window pops up, select Install Later.
- Next, update QuickBooks Desktop to the latest release.
- Close and reopen QB Desktop.
- If you receive a prompt to install an update, click Install Now. After the installation is over, wait for QuickBooks desktop to open. Select Yes if you are prompted to restart the system.
- Ensure that your payroll tax tables are updated.
- If the error persists, install or uninstall QuickBooks desktop in Selective Startup.
Solution Steps for QuickBooks error code 15205
- Check internet connection and QuickBooks settings.
- Ensure that the date and time are correct.
- Then verify the Cipher Strength.
- Also, change the settings using the tools and Internet tab.
- The last step is to set internet explorer as the default browser.
Solution Steps for QuickBooks payroll error 15218
- First of all, log in to the System as Administrator.
- And then, right click the Net mortal and open it.
- Once done with that, you need to move to the net choices from the right hand corner at the highest of the net browser.
- The next step is to Add subsequent websites into the sure site’s choices .QuickBooks.com and Intuit.com
- And the last step is to reboot the system.
We hope that you find this blog post helpful in fixing issues received while updating QuickBooks desktop or payroll. As always, for any queries, comments, and concerns, connect with our 24/7 QuickBooks error technical support team ensure you get quick and precise solutions of all your QuickBooks related issues.