Learn how to troubleshoot the QuickBooks Desktop or Payroll Update Errors
QuickBooks Desktop and Payroll are innovative accounting software that are easy to use and don’t require users to go through any training or technical proficiency. And what makes it even better are some features that help simplify the business and help you pay your employees very quickly. The drawback of this software is the errors you might bump into when using it. However, users may receive common QuickBooks payroll errors while updating the software. Many of the reported QuickBooks Desktop and Payroll errors start with numbers 15xxx, such as 15103, 15104, 15105, 15106, 15223, 15240, etc. If you encounter error codes that start with 15xxx, here is how you can fix them.
In this segment, we will be discussing some of the common QuickBooks desktop payroll errors, along with their causes and fixes to the same. For further information, all you need is to stay tuned to this segment and scroll through it carefully.
Common QuickBooks Desktop payroll errors
Some of the common QuickBooks desktop payroll errors that trouble users time and again include the following:
- Intuit QuickBooks payroll error 15102
- QuickBooks payroll error code 15240
- QuickBooks payroll update error 17337
- Payroll error PS033, PS038
- QuickBooks error 30159
- QuickBooks Error PS032
- QB payroll update errors
- Payroll error PS085
- QuickBooks Error PS077
What reasons contribute to common QuickBooks payroll errors?
There can be several reasons that can trigger the QuickBooks desktop payroll errors. These issues include the following:
- Just in case the tax table file in the payroll folder is damaged.
- Due to an invalid employer identification number (EIN).
- Another reason can be if your billing information is incorrect.
- When the QuickBooks payroll is updated to the latest version.
- You might face a similar issue if the employer identification(EIN) number is invalid.
Solution steps to Resolve most common QuickBooks payroll errors
Every error has its solution, and so is the case with QuickBooks payroll-related issues. You can implement the below-stated steps to tackle the error without difficulty.
Method 1: Renaming the CPS folder in the system
One of the viable approaches to solving common QuickBooks payroll errors is altering the CPS folder. The steps for the same are as under:
- You need to initially update the QuickBooks Payroll tax table.
- Furthermore, you would have to access my computer and visit the local drive C:\ProgramFiles\Intuit\QuickBooks 20XX\Components\Payroll\CPS.
- The XX here denotes the year of the QuickBooks version, like QuickBooks desktop 2022, QuickBooks 2021, QuickBooks 2020, QuickBooks 2019, etc.
- The next step is to rename the CPS folder to CPSOLD and check if the issue is fixed.
- Finally, update the QuickBooks payroll tax table to check if the issue is resolved.
Method 2: Disable the user account control
Another noteworthy solution for fixing payroll errors in QuickBooks is by disabling the User Account Control.
- Under this method, you should tap on the Win + R keys, which will launch the run window.
- Furthermore, type in ‘control panel’ and opt for the Ok tab.
- Tap on the user accounts and hit the user account classic view tab.
- At last, head back to the change user account control settings tab and choose the never notify tab.
Method 3: Uninstall and reinstall QuickBooks
If the first two methods didn’t work for you, then, in that case, you can execute the following methods:
- At first, you are supposed to tap on the Microsoft Windows Start tab and then opt for the control panel.
- You need to further manually remove the following QuickBooks installation folders:
- C:\Program Files\Intuit
- C:\Program Files \Common Files \Intuit
- C:\Documents and Settings\ All users\ Application data\Intuit
- C:\Documents and settings \All Users\Application data\Common files\ Intuit
- C:\DOuments and Settings \ All users\ documents Shared documents\ Intuit
Method 4: Run a repair on QuickBooks to rectify common QuickBooks payroll errors
In case none of the first three methods worked for you in tackling the payroll errors, then we suggest you run a repair on QuickBooks. The steps you would have to follow are as follows:
- Initiate by hitting on to the start tab and visiting the control panel.
- Furthermore, you would have to double-tap the add or remove programs.
- Afterward, hit on the QuickBooks program.
- And opt for the change or remove the program tab.
- Now, in the QuickBooks installation window, hit on the next tab.
- Furthermore, in the QuickBooks maintenance window, choose repair, hit on to the next tab, and tap on the repair tab.
- Finally, select the finish tab in the QuickBooks maintenance complete window.
Method 5: Run Reboot.bat
Running the Reboot.bat can also help in a situation wherein users get entangled in common QuickBooks payroll errors. This batch file can be located in the QuickBooks folder. The steps given below will help you out.
- Close QuickBooks Desktop/Payroll.
- Find and open the folder where the reboot.bat file is saved.
- Run the file as an Administrator.
- A DOS command window will pop up. Let the file utility complete, and the window will close down on its own. Don’t close that manually.
- Restart your computer.
- Now, launch the QuickBooks Desktop and see if the issue is fixed.
More often than not, the above-mentioned steps shall fix the error. If the error persists, you can move on to the next steps.
Method 6: Verify Internet Explorer Settings
If your computer is connected to the internet but cannot update your QuickBooks Desktop, you should consider configuring Internet Explorer in your system.
- Set Internet Explorer as your default browser.
- Also, check if the date and time on your computer are correctly set.
- Verify the Cipher Speed.
- Visit Tools and proceed to the Internet Options to update settings.
Method 7: Close all the QuickBooks processes
Closing the QuickBooks-related processes in the Task Manager can also rectify common QuickBooks payroll errors. The simple steps for the same are given below:
- Make sure you have an active subscription.
- After that, reset the QuickBooks Desktop update.
- Soon after, check the accuracy of the payroll service key.
- Restart your system.
- Proceed to Task manager by hitting the Ctrl + Alt + Delete keys and then move to the Processes tab. Now, opt for Qbwebconnector.exe and then click on the End process option.
- If the issue still exists, move on to the next solution.
Method 8: Configure firewall and Internet security settings
Perform this method if you know how to configure firewall, antivirus, and other third-party programs. In case you need assistance, refer to Intuit’s official website or speak to your IT team.
Method 9: Uninstall and reinstall QuickBooks Desktop in Selective Startup
Uninstalling and reinstalling QuickBooks, a method termed the Clean Installation, can be performed to resolve payroll-related errors in QuickBooks. The walkthrough for the same is given as under:
- Open the Run command (by pressing the Windows and R keys together).
- Within the Run command, type MSConfig and then hit the Ok button.
- Tap on the General tab, then proceed to the selective startup and Load system services.
- Open the Services tab and then opt for hiding all Microsoft Services.
- Now, Disable all.
- Uncheck the Hide all Microsoft Services checkbox.
- Verify the Windows Installer checkbox is clicked. Hit on the OK button.
- Opt for Restart on the System Configuration window.
- Once your computer is back on, you can install, uninstall or reinstall QuickBooks Desktop through clean install.
You may see: How to Disable Merchant Services in QuickBooks MAC?
Method 10: Install a digital signature certificate
Some errors within the digital signature certificate can also provoke QuickBooks payroll errors. The same can be rectified by either updating the certificate or by installing a fresh one, the process for which is described as under:
- Firstly, navigate to C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks.
- Within the QuickBooks folder, look for the QBW32.exe file.
- After locating the same, hit right-click on it.
- From the drop-down options, choose Properties.
- Now move to the Digital Signature tab.
- Ensure that Intuit is selected in the signature list.
- After that, select the Details option.
- Choose the option to View Certificate option in the Digital Signature Details window.
- Now, choose the option to Install Certificate.
- Keep hitting Next until the Finish message is displayed on your computer screen.
- After that, choose the Finish button.
- Reboot your computer.
- Once the system reboots successfully, open QuickBooks Desktop and re-download the payroll/QuickBooks update.
Method 11: Downloading the updates in Safe Mode can fix common QuickBooks payroll errors
Some conflicting programs in the background can be a potential cause of payroll errors while updating QuickBooks. Users should try updating the accounting application after opening Windows in Safe Mode to check this.
- The first step is to Open your computer in Safe Mode by restarting the computer and pressing the F8 key.
- Choose Safe mode with Networking and then hit the Enter key.
- After that, Re-download the update. The significant difference between running windows in the safe mode and the Normal mode is that the safe mode obstructs any background programs from working. This will give a straightforward indication of the cause of the payroll issue.
- Once the QuickBooks download process culminates successfully, reboot your computer in Normal Mode.
- Finally, try to re-download the update in normal mode.
Some QuickBooks payroll errors like 15xxx errors require additional resolutions
Below you will find a few 15xxx series errors and their solution steps:
How to troubleshoot QuickBooks payroll error 15223?
- Initially, visit Internet Explorer.
- Tap on the Gear icon and select Internet Options.
- Tap on the Advanced tab.
- Head to Security and find Use TLS 1.0, TLS 1.1, and Use TLS 1.2.
- Verify that the Use TLS 1.0 box is unchecked and that TLS 1.1 and Use TLS 1.1 boxes are checked.
- Hit on Apply and then tap on OK.
- Retry the update.
- If the error still appears, uninstall and install QuickBooks Desktop in Selective Startup and retry the update.
If the issue still exists, follow these steps:
- Consider registering .dll files.
- Access Internet Explorer and clear the SSL state.
- You may have to configure Firewall and Internet security settings.
Steps for Fixing QuickBooks update error 15240
- In the inception, launch QuickBooks as Windows Administrator.
- Verify your computer’s date and time settings and compare them with the current time to check if they are currently set.
- Include Windows permissions to the installation folders of QuickBooks.
- Open and verify the Internet Explorer settings.
- Check your firewall.
See Also; How to Get Rid of QuickBooks error 9999?
Solution Steps for QuickBooks payroll update error 15271
- Turn off the UAC (User Account Control) in Windows. If this step doesn’t fix the issue, move on to the next step.
- Close and reopen QuickBooks Desktop/Payroll.
- In case the QuickBooks Update Service message window pops up, select Install Later.
- Next, update QuickBooks Desktop to the latest release.
- Close and reopen QuickBooks Desktop.
- If you receive a prompt to install an update, click Install Now. After the installation is over, wait for the QuickBooks desktop to open. Select Yes if you are prompted to restart the system.
- Ensure that your payroll tax tables are updated.
- If the error persists, install or uninstall QuickBooks Desktop in Selective Startup.
Solution Steps for QuickBooks error code 15205
- Check the internet connection and also double-check QuickBooks settings.
- Ensure that the date and time are correct.
- Then, verify the Cipher Strength.
- Also, change the settings using the tools and Internet tab.
- The last step is to set internet explorer as the default browser.
Solution Steps for QuickBooks payroll error 15218
- First of all, log in to the system as Administrator.
- And then, right-click the Net mortal and open it.
- Once done, move to the net choices from the right-hand corner at the highest of the net browser.
- The next step is to add two essential websites to the list of Sites: QuickBooks.com and Intuit.com.
- And the last step is to reboot the system.
We hope you find this blog post helpful in fixing issues received while updating QuickBooks desktop or payroll. As always, for any queries, comments, and concerns, connect with our 24/7 QuickBooks error technical support team ensures you get quick and precise solutions to all your QuickBooks-related issues. You can call us at our dedicated helpline at 1-800-615-2347!