Learn the easy way of creating a portable version of your company file that you want to move:
Want to share your accounting data or move it to another system? Well, creating portable company file in QuickBooks is an easy job if you stick to the steps mentioned in this article. A portable company file is basically a compact version of the company file that’s small enough to send in an email or put on a USB or hard drive. You can easily create the portable files for QuickBooks and transfer them to other devices and open or restore them quickly. This lucid article shall apprise you of all the necessary information you need in this context.
To upskill your technical hold on the process to create and open portable company files in QuickBooks desktop, make sure that you go through this concise segment carefully.
You may read also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 80029c4a: Can’t Load DLL?
Steps for creating and opening a QuickBooks portable company file
We assure you that by following the easy steps mentioned in this section, even if you aren’t adept in the technical complexities of QuickBooks, you will still be able to get this error fixed in no time. Just make sure that you follow the guidelines in the same pattern and order as have been depicted below. You can perform the easy-to-comprehend steps to create and open a portable company file to quickly move to the data or fix issues.
Step 1: Update QuickBooks desktop
- You initially need to open the QuickBooks program and choose the help tab.
- Further, choose the update QuickBooks desktop option.
- The next step is to hit on update now and thereafter hit a click on reset updates to clear all the previous updates.
- Afterward, hit on get updates and wait for QuickBooks to finish downloading and installing the updates.
- Before you proceed ahead, don’t forget to reboot the QuickBooks software.
You can also set QuickBooks to download the latest software automatically. And follow the same process as above and hit on the options tab. Choose the dots to yes against the automatic update and shared download.
Step 2: Create a backup file
- Herein, you need to open the QuickBooks software.
- Afterward, choose the files and switch to the single user.
- Then, choose the files and create a local backup.
- Also, choose the local backup option and then hit on the Next tab.
- You are then required to browse and navigate to the locations to save the backup file.
- Finally, the system will check the files and you will have to hit on the OK tab to save it now and hit on Next to conclude.
Step 3: Make a portable company file
- Launch the QuickBooks software and log in as an admin.
- And further, head to the File menu and opt for the create copy option.
- Choose a portable company file and hit on the enter tab.
- You are additionally required to assign a name to the file.
- Choose a location to save the portable company file and prefer the Windows desktop to save the file (as it is easily accessible.)
- Lastly, hit on save and click on the OK tab.
Step 4: Open a portable company file
After you have created the file, you would have to perform the steps below:
- You will need to open QuickBooks and log in as an admin.
- Further, proceed to the File menu and choose the open or restore company option.
- Choose to restore a portable file and hit the Next tab.
- You are then required to opt for the portable company file and click on the open tab.
Make sure not to employ the same name for a portable company file and a regular company file. In case you save them in the same folder, then the portable file will overwrite the regular one. You can either rename the portable company file or save it to a different folder.
- And also, go through the notes on where you want to restore the file page and hit the Next tab.
- End the process by hitting on the save tab.
When you open the file, QuickBooks will automatically re-index the data.
Also see: How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 12029?
Concluding the article, but not our indomitable support for you!
That was all you need to know regarding the process to creating and opening portable company file in QuickBooks desktop. Still have any queries or questions unaddressed? No worries, as our experts feel privileged to assist you.
Our team comprises professionals with unfathomable experience and expertise in the field and can solve your issues through a mere phone call. Just call our helpline at 1-800-615-2347. Our QuickBooks desktop support representatives are ready to help you 24/7, 365 days a year!
Other helpful topics: