Learn how to create a portable version of your company file that you want to move:
Want to share accounting data or move it to another system? Well, this is possible to create a portable company file. Portable company file is basically a compact version of company file that’s small enough to send in an email or put on a USB or hard drive. You can easily create the portable files for QuickBooks and transfer it to other devices and open or restore it quickly.
In order to unleash the process to create and open portable company file in QuickBooks desktop, go through the segment carefully.
You may read also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 80029c4a: Can’t Load DLL?
Steps for creating and open a portable company file to quickly move the data or fix issues
You can perform the below steps to create and open a portable company file to quickly move to the data or fix issues.
Step 1: Update QuickBooks desktop
- Under this, you need to open the QuickBooks program and choose help tab.
- Further, select update QuickBooks desktop.
- The next step is to select the tab update now and further select reset updates to clear all the previous updates.
- You are then required to click on get updates and wait for QuickBooks to finish downloading and installation.
- Moreover, reboot the QuickBooks to save the new program.
You can also set the QuickBooks to download the latest software automatically. And follow the same process as and click on options tab. Select the dots to yes against the automatic update and shared download.
Step 2: Creating a backup file
- Herein, you need to open QuickBooks software.
- And click on files and switch to the single user.
- You are then required to click on files and create local backup.
- Moreover, click on local backup and hit next tab.
- You are then required to browse and navigate to the locations to save the backup file.
- Finally, the system will check the files and you will have to click on ok tab to save it now and hit next.
Step 3: Create a portable company file
- You can further open QuickBooks and log in as an admin.
- And further move to the file menu and select create copy.
- Choose portable company file and hit enter tab.
- You are further required to assign a name to the file.
- Select a location to save the portable company file and pick somewhere that’s easy to spot like windows desktop.
- Lastly, you would have to select save and hit OK tab.
Step 4: Opening a portable company file
After you have created the file, you would have to perform the steps below:
- Herein, you will have to open QuickBooks and log in as an admin.
- Further, you would have to head to the file menu and select open or restore company.
- Choose restore a portable file and hit next tab.
- You are then required to choose the portable company file and select open tab.
Keep a note that don’t use the same name for the portable company file and regular company file. In case you save them in the same folder, then the portable file will overwrite the regular one. You can either rename the portable company file, or save it to a different folder.
- And also, read the notes on the where do you want to restore the file page and hit next tab.
- End the process by selecting save tab.
When you open the file, QuickBooks will automatically re-index the data.
Also see: How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 12029?
That was all you need to know the process to create and open portable company file in QuickBooks desktop. As always, for any queries or concerns you can call us at our helpline 1-800-615-2347. Our QuickBooks desktop support representatives are ready to help you 24/7, 365 days a year!
Other helpful topics: