Learn easy ways to Fix QuickBooks Error 3371: Could not initialize license data.
QuickBooks users may come across various technical issues time and again. Error code 3371 is one such error in QuickBooks which can be attributed to system reconfiguration. This issue can also occur due to issues evoking from damaged license data. Other major cause of this error is damaged data in the Company files, which could in turn be associated with different Company file related error codes belonging to the 6000 series. These factors, either in isolation, or in consonance, transpire into this error when opening or activating QuickBooks Desktop. To get a full insight into QuickBooks Error 3371 and the ways to fix it, read this blog till the end.
In this article, we are shall discuss the various reasons behind the occurrence of Error 3371: Could not initialize license properties or QuickBooks could not load the license data to avoid it from recurring in the future. You will also get to know the top solutions that will help you Fix QuickBooks Error 3371 like a professional.
You may see also: Install multiple QuickBooks Desktop versions on one computer
Different forms in which Error 3371 may show up
It’s pretty simple to identify this error as it appears as an error code on the screen. When you activate or open QuickBooks desktop, you see one of these error messages:
- Could not initialize license properties. Error 3371: QuickBooks could not load the license data. This may be caused by missing or damaged files.
- Could not initialize license properties. [Error 3371, Status Code -11118] QuickBooks could not load the license data. This may be caused by missing or damaged files.
- Could not initialize license properties. [Error: 3371, Status Code -1] QuickBooks could not load the license data. This may be caused by missing or damaged files.
The message may read – “could not initialize license properties: QuickBooks could not load the license data.”
Note: This error oftentimes occurs when a QuickBooks file is damaged or missing. This error type may hold you back from meeting your deadlines and be very frustrating. Thus, we will learn the ways to get rid of this bug. Let’s first discuss the reasons for this annoying error.
What enforces QuickBooks Error 3371?
Some of the major causes of this license error in QuickBooks are:
- QuickBooks Stopped working appears when you try to copy the company or computer data on C:/ drive to a hard drive.
- The first major cause could be damaged license file namely “Qbregistration.dat”, or corruption of the license related data.
- Your MSXML component is damaged and since it is required for running your computer (as the component is provided by Microsoft).
- Firewall may have labeled the license ECML file as a potential threat
- The QB files got accidentally deleted.
- ECML or Entitlement file got damaged
- Anti-virus program blocks QuickBooks desktop, which stops the sync with the important windows components needed by QuickBooks.
- Failed or incomplete windows updates can also keep the windows components outdated, which can lead to more problems for QuickBooks desktop like:
Signs related to QuickBooks Error 3371: Could not load the license data
Below are the major signs and symptoms related to Error 3371:
- One of the most common signs can be if you are unable to open the company file in QuickBooks.
- If the system gets hanged somehow or QuickBooks crashes.
- You can also spot the issue if you get notified of a mysterious HTML file.
- Or at the time of the cloning process from C:\ drive to another new hard drive.
Methods to Fix Error 3371: Could not initialize license properties
You can try the following resolutions to get rid of Error 3371: QuickBooks could not load the license data:
Method 1: Delete the .ecml file
Deleting the ECML file is considered the most effective measure to rectify this error related to license data. Although renaming the same is also an alternative, as it prevents QuickBooks from accessing this file, it is preferable to get it deleted. Upon restarting QuickBooks, a new ECML file shall be automatically created, which may also root out Error 3371 in QuickBooks. Afterward, you will need to register the product once again.
- Access the Run command (hit the “Windows key + R” keys on your keyboard).
- Find the .ecml file and soon after Delete it.
- Try to Run QuickBooks normally and register the product.
Method 2: Update Windows OS to the latest if you could not load the license data
If the issue persists after trying the previous method, continue to the next step.
- Hit the button with the Windows symbol on your keyboard.
- Then, tap on All Programs and visit the Windows update section.
- Now, proceed to Check for updates.
- Download all the available updates and restart the PC to proceed with the installation of these updates.
The issue should probably be fixed by now. On the off chance that the problem continues, you can try the following method.
Method 3: Manually delete EntitlementDataStore.ecml file
This solution includes deleting the EntitlementDataStore.ecml file
- Close QuickBooks Desktop and make sure that no QuickBooks related is running.
- Launch the Task Manager (Hit on the “Ctrl+Shift+Esc” keys on your keyboard and choose “Task Manager“).
- Choose the “Processes tab“.
- Tap on the “Process Name header” to sort the processes alphabetically.
- Find and opt for all instances of “QBW32.EXE.” and hit on “End Task“
- Now, visit the “entitlement data” folder for your Windows operating system and version of QuickBooks software.
- Launch the run command (“Windows +R keys”).
- Copy and paste or manually type “C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v8 (or v6)” and hit the “Enter” key.
- Delete the EntitlementDataStore.ecml file.
- Opt for “Yes” when prompted to delete the file.
- Access your company file and register for the application.
Method 4: Use QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
This troubleshooting step includes fixing the Microsoft .NET Framework, MSXML, and C++ issues.
- Download QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool from the internet or use it via the tool hub.
- Save the file for the tool on the desktop.
- Close all open Windows and QuickBooks programs.
- Launch the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool.
- Restart your computer.
Related article: How to Fix QuickBooks Error 6000, 83 (Company File Error)?
Method 5: Perform a clean install of QuickBooks
If all the previously discussed methods fail to resolve the error, then one viable approach is to clean install QuickBooks. An elaborate yet effective method, it requires users to uninstall the QuickBooks Desktop software and, after that, rename the QuickBooks folder. Subsequently, set up the accounting application on the system once again. Apart from the manual procedure, users can also conform to the QuickBooks clean Install Tool. This process requires uninstalling QuickBooks and reinstalling it using clean install.
How to clean Install QuickBooks manually?
For your clear understanding, we have split the procedure into three steps. Follow the below-given instructions to go for a clean installation of QuickBooks.
1st Step: Uninstall QuickBooks
- Important Note: Before proceeding with the uninstall process, open QuickBooks, press the F2 key, and in the Product Information Window, take note of your license and product keys. You will require them during the re-installation of the product. When you are done, you can move to the next step.
- To kick start, hit the “Start Menu“.
- From the Start menu, head for the “Control Panel“.
- Access “Programs and Features” and then pick the option to “Uninstall a Program“.
2nd Step: Rename the QuickBooks folder.
- Navigate to the QuickBooks folder by right-clicking on the QuickBooks icon, following the Properties option, and then clicking on the option to Open File Location.
- Right-click the QuickBooks folder and then choose the Rename option,
- Change the folder name of the QuickBooks folder. It is recommended to add ‘.old’ at the end for your easy recognition in terms of differentiating this folder from the original QuickBooks folder.
3rd Step: Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop
The last step demands re-installing QuickBooks. For this, you can use the original CD/DVD or download the .exe file from the official website of Intuit.
Method 6: Use the QuickBooks Tool Hub
Follow the step-by-step walkthrough below for setting up the Quickbooks Tool Hub and use it to resolve license data issues in QuickBooks.
1st Step: Run Quick fix my program using the QuickBooks tool hub
- Close QuickBooks desktop.
- Download the QuickBooks tool hub and run the downloaded file.
- Accept and agree to Intuit’s license agreement.
- After the tool hub is successfully installed on the system, hit on the finish tab.
- Double-click on the QuickBooks tool hub icon.
- Choose the Quick fix my program.
- Hit on the ok tab.
- Finally, launch QuickBooks desktop.
2nd Step: Run the 3371 error fix from the Tool Hub
- Double-tap the icon on the Windows Desktop to open the tool hub.
- Hit on the installation issues tab
- Choose the 3371 error fix
- Click on the ok tab and launch QuickBooks to access the file.
We hope that you find this article helpful in fixing Error 3371: QuickBooks could not load the license data or Could not initialize license properties. If you need further assistance, contact us at our 24×7 QuickBooks error support line, i.e., 1-800-615-2347.
More helpful articles: