Learn how to Fix Error 3371: Could not initialize license properties
QuickBooks is a premier choice of small and mid-sized business owners in the USA, Canada, and the rest of the world. The software assists business owners in taking care of a host of complicated tasks that otherwise require professionals. Along with saving money on hiring more employees, QuickBooks also saves valuable time and makes almost no errors in creating invoices, preparing taxes, monitoring expenses and many other tasks that require expert employees or agencies. However, a few errors and issues that may appear while activating or opening QuickBooks desktop may hold back users from meeting their business and financial goals.
In this article we are going to discuss the reasons behind the occurrence of Error 3371: Could not initialize license properties or QuickBooks could not load the license data so that you can avoid it from recurring. You can also get the top solutions that will help you Fix QuickBooks Error 3371 like a professional.
You may see also: Install multiple QuickBooks Desktop versions on one computer
Why QuickBooks could not load the license data error occurs?
One of the most common error that appear when a user tries to activate or open QuickBooks desktop is “Could not initialize license properties. Error 3371: QuickBooks could not load the license data“. This error may be caused by missing or damaged files. No matter you are new to QuickBooks or have been using the software for years, this error may show up any time. It’s simple to identify this error as a message with the error code along with possible reasons shows up on the screen. When you activate or open QuickBooks desktop, you see one of these error messages:
- Could not initialize license properties. Error 3371: QuickBooks could not load the license data. This may be caused by missing or damaged files.
- Could not initialize license properties. [Error 3371, Status Code -11118] QuickBooks could not load the license data. This may be caused by missing or damaged files.
- Could not initialize license properties. [Error: 3371, Status Code -1] QuickBooks could not load the license data. This may be caused by missing or damaged files.
The message may read – “could not initialize license properties: QuickBooks could not load the license data.”
Note: This error oftentimes occurs when a QuickBooks file is damaged or missing. This error type may hold you back from meeting your deadlines and be very frustrating. Thus, we will learn the ways to get rid of this bug. Let’s first discuss the reasons for this annoying error.
What Causes Error 3371: Could not initialize license properties?
One or more of the following reasons may cause Error 3371: QuickBooks could not load the license dat:
- QuickBooks Stopped working appears when you try to copy the company or computer data on C:/ drive to a hard drive.
- You may face this issue if Qbregistration.dat file goes missing. The file consists of your license information.
- Your MSXML component is damaged and since it is required for running your computer (as the component is provided by Microsoft).
- Anti-virus program blocks QuickBooks desktop, which stops the sync with the important windows components needed by QuickBooks.
- Failed or incomplete windows updates can also keep the windows components outdated, which can lead to more problems for QuickBooks desktop like:
Signs to Error 3371: Could not initialize license properties
Below can be the signs and symptoms of Error 3371: Could not initialize license properties.
- One of the most common sign can be if you are unable to open the company file in QuickBooks.
- If the system gets hanged somehow or QuickBooks crashes.
- You can also spot the issue if you get notified for a mysterious HTML file.
- Or at the time of cloning process from C:\ drive to another new hard drive.
Methods to Fix Error 3371: Could not initialize license properties
You can try the following solutions to get rid of Error 3371: QuickBooks could not load the license data:
Method 1: Delete the .ecml file
- Open Run command (press “Windows key + R” keys) on your keyboard).
- Find “.ecml file” and “Delete” it.
- Try to Run QuickBooks normally and register the product.
Method 2: Update your Windows OS to latest
If the issue persists after trying solution 1, continue to the next step.
- Click the “Start” button on your keyboard or on the bottom left of your computer screen.
- Click “All Programs” and go to Windows update.
- Check for updates.
- Download all the available updates and reinstall the software.
Most probably, the issue should be fixed after trying the above two solutions. On the off chance that the problem continues, you can try the following troubleshooting steps.
Method 3: Manually delete EntitlementDataStore.ecml file
This solution includes deleting the EntitlementDataStore.ecml file
- Close QuickBooks Desktop and make sure that no QuickBooks related is running.
- Open Task Manager (Press “Ctrl+Shift+Esc” keys on your keyboard and choose “Task Manager“).
- Choose the “Processes tab“.
- Select the “Process Name header” to sort the processes alphabetically.
- Find and select all instances of “QBW32.EXE.” and click “End Task“
- Go to the “entitlement data” folder for your Windows operating system and version of QuickBooks software.
- Open run command (“Windows +R keys”).
- Copy and paste or manually type “C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v8 (or v6)” and hit “Enter” key.
- Delete the EntitlementDataStore.ecml file.
- Select “Yes” when prompted to delete the file.
- Open your company file and register for the application.
Method 4: Use QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
This troubleshooting step includes fixing the Microsoft .NET Framework, MSXML, and C++ issues.
- Download QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool from the internet or use it via tool hub.
- Save the file for the tool on the desktop.
- Close all open Windows and QuickBooks programs.
- Run the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool.
- Restart your computer.
Related article: How to Fix QuickBooks Error 6000, 83 (Company File Error)?
Method 5: Perform a clean install of QuickBooks
This step in includes uninstalling QuickBooks and reinstalling it using clean install.
Step 1: Uninstall QuickBooks
- Click “Start Menu“.
- Go to “Control Panel“.
- Open “Programs and Features” and then click on “Uninstall a Program“.
Step 2: Uninstall QuickBooks Desktop.
- Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop.
Method 6: Use QuickBooks tool hub
Step 1: Run Quick fix my program using QuickBooks tool hub
- Close QuickBooks desktop.
- Download the QuickBooks tool hub and run the downloaded file.
- Accept and agree to the Intuit’s license agreement.
- After tool hub successfully installed on the system, click on finish tab
- Double click on QuickBooks tool hub icon.
- Select Quick fix my program
- Click on ok tab.
- Finally open QuickBooks desktop.
Step 2: Run 3371 error fix from tool hub
- Double click the icon on the windows to open tool hub.
- Select the installation issues tab
- Select the 3371 error fix
- Click on ok tab and start QuickBooks and open the file.
We hope that you find this article helpful in fixing Error 3371: QuickBooks could not load the license data or Could not initialize license properties. If you need any more assistance, you can contact us at our 24×7 QuickBooks error support line.
More helpful articles: