Easy steps to find your company file if you are facing ‘Company File is Missing or cannot be Found’ issue:
Are you unable to find the company file? At times, you might come across a warning message that states “The company file you selected could not be found“. You can try one of the following:
Choose the open or restore company ..” command from the file menu to look for this file in a different directory.
You might come across such an error when your company file is either moved or renamed. Moreover, in case your system is disconnected from the path where the QuickBooks file is located or the QuickBooks file has been deleted from the system. To get a better brief about this error and ways to rectify it, scroll through the post carefully till the end.
What actually is QuickBooks company file?
Company file is basically the place where all the data is stored, especially the financial data. You can easily spot the company file with .QBW file extension. It is a single file and isn’t decomposed into multiple files. You can easily open, copy or move the company file. This file can also be imported from one version of QuickBooks to another. However, you might face certain error like the one we are talking about in this segment.
What triggers QuickBooks company file not found error?
The error that states QuickBooks company file not found can be triggered due to a handful of factors, which include the following:
- Just in case a QuickBooks company file is moved to a new location.
- Another reason can be if you try to open a QuickBooks company file using the incorrect option.
- You might face similar issue in case of accidental deletion of QuickBooks company file locally, or on the server.
- If the QB company file isn’t found in multi-user mode due to unstable network connectivity.
You may read also: How to Fix QuickBooks Web Connector Error QBWC1085?
Solutions steps to fix the QuickBooks company file is missing or cannot be found issue
So as to fix the QuickBooks company file not found error, you can perform the below methods one by one.
Case 1: If you are accessing the QuickBooks file saved locally on the same system
Process 1: Look for all the company files
You might have to head to the server system and then perform search for all company files by typing one of the following into the search bar. Also note that, you need to ensure to include the Asterisk, before the extension type to ensure the search works correctly. The file extensions include:
- *.qbw (Working files)
- *.qbb (Back up files)
- *.qba (Accountants Copy Files)
- *.qbx (Accountant Transfer Files)
- *.qby (Accountant changes files)
Process 2: Opening the file in QuickBooks
Step 1: Herein, you would have to open the company file or an accountant’s copy
- From the file menu, choose open or restore company.
- You are then required to choose open a company file and hit next tab.
- Pick the company file.
- And choose open tab.
Step 2: You are then required to restore the backup of .qbb file extension
- You would have to select open or restore company from the file menu.
- Choose the restore a backup file and hit next tab.
- You need to select the local backup.
- And select the company file and hit next.
- You would have to select the location where the restored file is to be saved.
Step 3: Restore an accountants copy transfer file
- You would then have to select open or restore a company from the file menu.
- Choose the convert and accountant’s copy transfer file and hit next.
- After select the next tab, if what the accountant’s copy can and can’t do window is displayed.
- Finally, choose the transfer file and open it.
Case 2: If you are not accessing QuickBooks file over the network
Process 1: Verify network connectivity
- You need to first identify the name of the server system
- Press windows + R keys tab and this will open up the run dialog box.
- Type in CMD and click on enter in order to open the command prompt window.
- Type ipconfig/all and click on enter tab.
- Note the server names.
- Type in ping and then name of the server in the next window and then click on the enter key.
- See a reply for each pocket
- If you get any packet loss, then it indicates that there are some issues with the network connection. You should use QuickBooks file doctor to remove the issue.
Process 2: Choose the right way to open the file in QuickBooks
You are required to open the company file in the right way irrespective of the type of QuickBooks you use. You can use the steps below:
Step 1: Opening a backup file
- At first you need to head to the file menu and select open or restore company.
- Choose the option restore a backup file and hit next.
- Look for the QuickBooks backup file and the qbb extension.
- Choose the company file and click on next tab to open the backup file with ease.
Step 2: Opening the company file
- You need to click on the open or restore company from the file tab.
- And then tap on open a company file and tap on next.
- Browse the company file by adding .qbw extension and select open option.
Step 3: Open the accountants copy transfer file
- You will have to head to the file tab and choose the option open or restore a company.
- Select the convert an accountant’s copy transfer file and click on next tab.
- Hit the next tab on the what the accountant’s copy can and can’t do window.
- Select the particular file that has .qbx extension and then tap on open tab.
- Once done, save the file on the system by selecting save tab.
Process 3: Finding the QuickBooks company file
- Under this process, you need to use windows feature to look for the file type.
- Click on windows start tab and type the extension of the company file along with an asterisk sign in the search programs and files search box.
- Once you have found the file right click on it and select the open file location tab.
- Lastly, open the file from the right location to remove the error message QuickBooks file is missing.
That was all you need to know about resolving QuickBooks company file not found issue. As always, if you need any query or concerns, feel free to contact our 24/7 QuickBooks error support team is readily available to help you round the clock. We are here to ensure that our clients from all across the globe have access to effective and affordable accounting services.
More helpful topics: