Steps you need to apply when you are not able to open your QuickBooks desktop:
You are likely to be familiar with the QuickBooks desktop won’t open error. But did you know using this error message can disturb the smooth processing of the QuickBooks company files? So, in this post, I want to help clear up some of the confusion around why QuickBooks won’t open error happen, how it is different, and how you can fix the issue. You can experience this issue when you try to open the QuickBooks desktop or a company file but failed to do. It comes up on the screen with an error message that reads QuickBooks desktop won’t open or doesn’t start. As a result of such an error, you might have issues with the system as well.
So, when you work on QuickBooks and see QuickBooks desktop won’t open error, read on to find out what this means and how you can fix them. Whereas, if you do not want to rectify the error manually, then connect with our tech support professionals right away using our support line.
An overview of the QuickBooks desktop won’t open error
Error name: QuickBooks won’t open
Error description: “QuickBooks already has a company file open. If you want to open another company file, close this one first”.
Signs of QuickBooks won’t open error: QuickBooks freezes, windows run slowly, if the system hangs every now and then, system responds slowly, unable to open QuickBooks, etc.
Quick fix: Use Quick fix my program
This post will brief you on some of the reliable solutions to get rid of the QuickBooks desktop won’t open error. Thus, you can read this article carefully till the end, in order to get rid of the issue.
What Causes QuickBooks desktop won’t open error?
Let’s see what constitute the most common causes of QuickBooks desktop won’t open error.
- One of the basic reasons is a corrupted hard disk.
- Another trigger can be if the company file name is too long
- You can also experience similar issue if you are using an outdated operating system
- If the installation of the QuickBooks desktop is incorrect, then experiencing such an error is probable.
- Damaged or missing QBWUSER.INI file
QuickBooks Desktop won’t open error – Symptoms
- QuickBooks Desktop freezes while you use it.
- The QuickBooks version you are using is outdated.
- Your computer lags and freezes sometimes.
- Your system registers and responds slowly to the commands through mouse and keyboards.
- QuickBooks company file isn’t opening on your screen.
Essential tips before fixing QuickBooks Desktop doesn’t start or won’t open problem
Before you perform the set of steps, make sure to keep certain facts in mind.
- You need to update your QuickBooks software to the latest version.
- Another step is to turn off hosting on the workstations.
- Change the name of the .tlg and nd files for the company file.
- Repair the QuickBooks installation.
Methods to Deal with the QuickBooks Won’t Open or doesn’t start error
You can perform the below measures to fix QuickBooks won’t open error successfully.
Procedure 1: Close QuickBooks desktop installation
- Right-click the QuickBooks desktop icon
- Hit the ctrl key and choose open
- Tap and hold the Ctrl key till no company open window appears on the screen.
- now, launch QuickBooks.
Procedure 2: Make a new windows admin user
- Under this procedure, you need to hit on the control panel and head to it.
- You are then required to double-click the user account and then choose the manage user tab.
- Hit the add tab.
- Enter the name as well as the domain of the admin and also tap on the OK tab.
- You now have to choose admin.
- Push the finish tab which will direct to the user accounts and conclude the process by hitting on the OK tab.
Procedure 3: Alter the name of the QBWUSER.ini file
- Herein, access the folder where ini file is saved.
- Hit on the QBWUSER.ini file and also choose Rename tab.
- Enter in insert.old in the last name and alter the name of ECML.file
- Inspect if the issue resolved.
Procedure 4: Run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
If there are certain installation errors, the QuickBooks program can stop working. To resolve such problems, use the QuickBooks install diagnostic tool. To fix the problem, adhere to the guidelines below.
- Open the Tool Hub for QuickBooks.
- In the QuickBooks Tool Hub, select the ‘Installation Issues’ tab.
- Next, click it to start the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool. However, it can take some time to complete the process.
- Once the utility has finished scanning, you must restart your computer.
- Finally, check to see whether the QuickBooks Desktop won’t open Error still occurs by opening your company file in the QuickBooks software.
Procedure 5: Use a different folder location to open the file
Use this step if your file folder is damaged or corrupted. Follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Press Windows and E keys simultaneously
- Find the data file with the .qbw file extension
- If you are looking for a location on a network server, check the network drive where the file is stored.
- After spotting the file, right-click on it and copy it (ctrl+c)
- Head for C drive and make a new folder
- Give a new name to the folder, for example, QBTEST
- Now, access the newly created folder and paste (ctrl+v) there
- Find Open or Restore and Existing Company and check QBTEST in C drive
- Access the company file in the QBTEST folder
Procedure 6: Run Quick Fix my Program from the QuickBooks Tools Hub
- The very first step is to make an exit from QuickBooks.
- And then, the user needs to download the QuickBooks tool hub file. Also, save the file where it can be accessed easily. (such as the downloads folder or the windows desktop).
- After that, access the file downloaded earlier i.e. QuickBooksToolHub.exe
- Also, follow the on-screen steps to install and agree to the terms and conditions
- The last step is to, double-click the icon on the windows desktop to open the tool hub when the installation concludes.
The Quick fix my program will automatically shut down any open background processes QuickBooks uses. It will also run a quick repair on the program.
- For this, tap on the program problems in the QuickBooks tools hub.
- And also, hit on the Quick fix my program
- Lastly, launch the QuickBooks desktop and open the data file.
Unable to deal with the QuickBooks won’t open error?
QuickBooks won’t open error can be extremely exasperating and it’s not always clear what are the causes that trigger this issue. But with a little digging around, and reading the steps mentioned above, you can get to the root of the problem and quickly implement a solution.
But if in case you are unable to fix the error even after performing the set of steps listed above, then contact our QuickBooks error support professional is recommended. Use our support line and let our technical professionals handle the issue for you.