The popularity of QuickBooks Desktop has grown multifold over the recent years, but its frequent bugs make it difficult to manage finances. Users of QuickBooks have been antagonized due to different update issues. One such error is Payroll Update Error 15103 which comes up as:
|Unable to open the update program.
What is QuickBooks Error 15103 and why it occurs?
This error comes in 15xxx series and may occur due to wrong configuration of the Internet Explorer, or out to date digital signature certificate for Intuit. Besides, these, various other factors may result in such an issue. It shows certain signs of its arrival, including, slow system operation, frequent system lags, sudden restarts, and appearance of error message describing the cause of this error code. To know more, read this full segment. In this discussion, we will be uncovering all the facades of QuickBooks payroll error code 15103, including the various causes and diversified solutions to tackle this error once and for all. Thus, keep read on!
What are the main reasons behind QuickBooks update error message 15103?
This issue can be traced to different sources, but the major ones are:
- The configuration of Internet Explorer got changed by the user, or due to some other conflicting program.
- Digital signature certificate for Intuit is out to date.
- The network connection is very slow, resulting in timeout during the QuickBooks update.
- The QuickBooks installation done previously was not done to completion.
- Entries in the Window registry are damaged.
- Virus could be causing this error
- There might be some Internet connectivity issues.
- Files related to the Microsoft components are damaged.
Symptoms of error code 15103 in QuickBooks when it occurs?
Some of the common symptoms of this error include:
- The error message 15103 appears on the screen.
- Your computer may slow down and perform sluggishly.
- System will also freeze or not respond.
- The mouse cursor and keyboard inputs might not respond.
You may check also; How to Fix Backup Company File Issues in QuickBooks Desktop?
DIY Methods for Resolving QuickBooks Update Error 15103 [When Updating Desktop or Payroll]
There are several methods to resolve QuickBooks error 15103 efficiently and effectively. Below mentioned methods explain and guide you through detailed steps you need to take to fix this error.
Method 1: Running Reboot.bat
Reboot.bat is a batch file in QuickBooks folder. When this file is run, all the .dll and .ocx files in QuickBooks are de-registered. Subsequently, when QuickBooks is run one more time, these files are registered automatically again.
- End all QuickBooks operations and make an exit from the program.
- Hit a right-click on the icon of QuickBooks Desktop.
- Select Properties and opt for the Open File Location option.
- Scroll down and search for the file named reboot.bat.
- Now locating the file by hitting a right-click on it and then tap on Run as Administrator.
- Once finished, relaunch QuickBooks to try the update process once again.
Method 2: Install Intuit Digital Signature Certificate
- Start the method by doing the search QBW32.exe in C:\Program File\ Intuit\ QuickBooks and find the window.
- After that right-click on it and tap on the Properties tab.
- Next, head towards Digital Signature and make sure Intuit Inc. is chosen.
- Now, move to the Details tab
- Following that hit a click on View Certificate.
- Now proceed by installing the certificate by selecting Install Certificate.
- Hit on Next and then hit a click on the Finish tab.
- Upon installing the certificate, reboot the computer.
- Lastly, open QuickBooks Desktop and try the process to update the software one more time.
Read it Also: How to Troubleshoot QuickBooks Error 1310?
Method 3: Add QuickBooks as a trusted site in the Internet Explorer settings
Addition of QuickBooks or Intuit URLs as Trusted sites can fix different installation errors, including such errors. The steps to get this process done are:
- Open Internet Explorer and navigate to the Gear icon.
- After that hit a click on Internet Options.
- Proceed ahead by clicking on Security.
- Thereafter, proceed to Trusted Sites and then follow up by clicking on Sites.
- For US version of QuickBooks: add “*.quickbooks.com” or “*.intuit.com”.
- For Canadian version of QuickBooks: add: “*.quickbooks.ca” or “*.intuit.ca”.
- After adding the sites, hit a click on the Close button.
- Save the changes by clicking on Apply and hit on OK tab.
- Incorporation of QuickBooks/Intuit site to the trusted sites list has resolved Error code 15103 in many cases. Hopefully, it should work for you as well.
Method 4: Change Firewall and Antivirus settings
- At first, you need to hit a click on the Start button.
- After that type “QuickBooks Database Server Manager” in the search box and launch it.
- Next, Select the Port Monitor option.
- Also copy the port number separately, as this will be required in port exceptions.
- Now, open the Firewall settings and add the port numbers for QuickBooks.
- Move ahead by clicking Next tab.
- Next, choose Allow Connection and again select Next tab.
- Make sure all profiles are marked if prompted, and select Next tab.
- Proceed by clicking on Create a Rule and name it.
- When the process is done, select Finish.
See it Also: How to Troubleshoot QuickBooks Error 2107?
Method 5: Update QuickBooks in Safe Mode
- Initiate the process by clicking on the Start menu and typing Msconfig.
- This will open the System Configuration window. Herein, checkmark the box beside Selective Startup and load services.
- Then, hit on Apply and restart the system.
- Keep tapping the F8 key continuously to reveal the Advanced Boot Options screen.
- Take the cursor to Safe mode with Networking and hit Enter key.
- When the desktop loads up, try updating QuickBooks desktop manually. For that, navigate to the website of Intuit, choose your QuickBooks version and year, and download the updates.
- Double-click on the downloaded .exe file to install the updates manually in safe mode.
Method 6: Use Quick Fix My Program within QuickBooks Tool Hub program
QuickBooks Tool Hub program is a composite haven of tools to fix different QB issues. These tools, specifically “Quick Fix My program” and “Install Diagnostic Tool” can be used to fix such errors. The steps are:
- Download and Install the QuickBooks Tool Hub from Intuit.
- After that start it by setting up the QuickBooks Tool Hub from Intuit, and then run the tool.
- After that run the tool and navigate to the Program Problems option.
- Now, go to Quick Fix My Program.
- Once it is complete, launch QuickBooks and try updating the program again.
Method 7: Uninstall and reinstall QuickBooks (Clean Install)
If you notice major issues in QuickBooks apart from QB payroll error code 15103, then it is time to go for clean install process. For this, the steps are:
- Access QuickBooks folder, then Programs and Features needs to be opted.
- After that hit a click on QuickBooks and go for Uninstall/Change, then again click on Uninstall tab.
- When done, rename QuickBooks folder to QuickBooks.old
- Then, go for a fresh installation of QuickBooks and register and activate the product.
- Try the update process again.
Method 8: Disable User Account Control (UAC)
Turning off UAC has resolved the installation issues in QuickBooks in many cases. To get it done, perform the steps:
- From Start, search for UAC. With this the option to Modify User Account Control Settings shall be available in the results. Simply click on it.
- Now, shift the slider to Never Notify, then choose Ok tab.
- Final step is to try the update process again.
Check Also: How to Resolve QuickBooks Error Code 15270?
Method 9: End QuickBooks Processes in the Task Manager
It is a prudent move to end all the QuickBooks processes visible in the Task Manager, and then try the update process once again. The process is:
- Initially, you need to press Ctrl + Alt + Delete keys, then Open Task Manager.
- Then go for Processes tab, choose all the QB processes and one by one, End them by individually right-clicking on them, and then choosing End Task option.
- Finally, run QB and proceed again with the update.
This article has unfolded all the useful methods that should come in handy for fixing QuickBooks payroll error code 15103. If these strategies fixed your issue, well and good. If not, then, you can directly contact our QuickBooks payroll error support expert through the helpline i.e., 1-800-615-2347 for help.
Other helpful articles: