If you are a frequent reader of our technical blogs on QuickBooks, you may have gone through an array of Error codes of the format “Error 15xxx”. Update Error 15242 is one such error encountered by users when they try to update QuickBooks or Payroll services. A peculiar aspect about 15xxx series of error codes is that though all of these errors appear while updating the program, the causes of these errors are not always the same. This error is generally associated with a damaged QuickBooks FCS (File Copy Service). This blog shall clear all your confusions related to this QuickBooks Payroll Update Error 15242 and will present multiple resolutions to fix it.
What is QuickBooks Error 15242 and how does it appears?
This error is a common issue that is faced by QB users. This error generally occurs when there are problems with your payroll update. When this error occurs it prevents users from downloading the latest updates. However, in this article you will get several effective solutions in order to rectify this QuickBooks Error code 15242. Thus, keep reading ahead!
This update error is usually observed in the form of the following error message:
“Error 15242: The update of the payroll is not completed properly. QuickBooks FCS is not responding or damaged.”
[Error 15242] The QuickBooks FCS service is damaged, so the payroll update could not complete successfully. Note the message number at the beginning of this message, and click Help for troubleshooting tips to resolve this problem.
What are causes behind QuickBooks Error Code 15242?
Some of the conspicuous causes highlighted by our experts are:
- QuickBooks FCS (File Copy Service) might be corrupted or damaged
- The source of QuickBooks update is corrupted or is unauthentic.
- QuickBooks company data file might be damaged.
- Invalid QuickBooks Service key.
- The previous installation of QuickBooks was not done properly.
- Not logged in as an administrator.
- QuickBooks File Copy Service may be disabled.
- Windows Registry might be corrupted.
- QuickBooks payroll subscription is expired.
Some Common Signs Indicating Error Message 15242 in QuickBooks
User may experience certain unexpected technical issues in the system which directly indicates this error. Some of the issues include:
- When trying to update QuickBooks desktop, user suddenly experiences the error message indicating Error code 15242.
- The system may experience sudden lags and crashes, especially when running the QuickBooks program.
- User inputs through the keyboard and mouse take significant time to process.
You may read also: How to Troubleshoot QuickBooks Error 2107?
Different Tactics to Troubleshoot QuickBooks Error 15242
This section contains all the potential solutions to root out this update error15242 in QuickBooks. So, maintain your focus and perform all the steps mentioned herein with keen observation.
Tactic 1: Check payroll subscription
- Run QuickBooks as an admin.
- Afterwards, hit on the Employees option and click on My Payroll Services option.
- Next, choose the option to Manage Service Key.
- Subsequent to that, click on View tab to check the service key status of the payroll subscription.
- The service key should be active. If it is inactive, then, hit on the Add button tab.
- Type in the correct Service key which should be available in your email received while subscribing to the product.
- Hit on Ok.
- Try updating QuickBooks Desktop Payroll.
- The error should be obliterated. If not, then move to the next tactic.
Tactic 2: Configuring the File Copy Service settings
- Open the Run Window and type COMPMGMT.MSC in it.
- Hit the Enter key.
- Go to the Services and Applications option.
- Now, advance to the Services option.
- Double-click on Intuit QuickBooks FCS.
- Hit on the properties and click on the Startup type and choose Manual opt.
- Hit on Apply and then click on Ok.
See Also: How to Fix a Subscription Error in QuickBooks Desktop?
Tactic 3: Reset previous Payroll updates
- Run QuickBooks Desktop
- Tap on the F2 key to reveal the Product information window.
- Check the QuickBooks version and hit a click on the Help tab.
- Go to Update QuickBooks Desktop from here.
- Hit on the Update now tab and then click on Reset Update checkbox.
- After that tap on Get Updates option.
- If the updates get downloaded without showing up any error, install the updates after reopening QuickBooks and once done with that, restart the computer.
Tactic 4: Reactivate the subscription
It is thus imperative that users type in the correct service key and also make sure that the QuickBooks subscription is active. Steps below should help.
- Run QuickBooks as an administrator by right-clicking on the icon and opting for Run as Administrator.
- After that open Payroll and go to the Employees tab.
- Now hit a click on My Payroll Service.
- Choose the Account/Billing Information option
- Sign in to the Intuit account by providing the correct credentials
- Check if the payroll subscription is verified on the QuickBooks Payroll Account Maintenance page.
- If the subscription is inactive, activate the subscription.
- Also, make sure that Internet Explorer is the default browser.
Tactic 5: Repair QuickBooks Desktop
An easy way of bypassing this error without getting into any technical intricacies is to repair QuickBooks. The procedure for repairing the accounting program is stated below:
- Open the Control Panel from the Start menu.
- Then, head for the Programs and Features tab.
- Now, click on QuickBooks and then click on the Uninstall/Change option.
- Now, hit on Repair.
- Wait for the process to finish and then restart QuickBooks.
Tactic 6: Clean Install QuickBooks desktop
It is required to perform a clean install QuickBooks if the above given steps didn’t work for you. The process involves a complete wipeout of the accounting program and reinstalling it. Below are enumerated the steps for the manual clean install process.
Step 1: Uninstall QuickBooks
- Click on the Start button on the extreme bottom left corner of the Taskbar.
- From there, open the Control Panel.
- Move to the Programs and Features tab.
- The next step requires clicking on QuickBooks and then clicking on Uninstall/Change tab.
- Follow the onscreen steps and get the accounting program uninstalled from the system.
Step 2: Rename the QuickBooks folder
Upon uninstalling the program, visit the local disk containing QuickBooks and then rename the QuickBooks folder.
Step 3: Reinstall QuickBooks
Use the original CD for reinstalling QuickBooks, or download the .exe file from the website of Intuit. For registration and activation of the product, use the original product and license keys provided at the time of the product purchase.
Tactic 7: Run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
If Error 15242 in QuickBooks payroll is caused due to a technical issue within the installation files, or Microsoft Windows components are damaged, then QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool can come to the rescue.
- Run the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- After that, click on the Installation Issues option.
- Therein, click on the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool and allow the tool to commence the scan process.
- Later, user can re-open QuickBooks and try to update it again.
Tactic 8: Disable User Account Control (UAC)
User Account Control (UAC) is a Windows feature that can sometimes interfere with the functioning of QuickBooks & lead to such errors. You can disable UAC account in order to rectify the ongoing payroll error.
- At first, you need to press Windows key on your keyboard.
- After that search Control Panel.
- Now open Control Panel and hit a click on User Accounts.
- Also, select Change User Account Control settings.
- Now move the slider to the down in order to disable UAC completely.
- Hit a click on OK tab and reboot your system.
- Lastly, launch your QuickBooks desktop and check if the error is resolved or not.
Tactic 9: Set up the Digital Signature Certificate
The procedure to install the digital signature certificate for Intuit is discussed below:
- Initially, navigate to the QuickBooks folder. If you are unfamiliar with the location of the installation folder, right-click the QuickBooks icon and click on Properties.
- After that, click on Open File Location.
- Now, search for the QBW32.exe file in the QuickBooks folder.
- Right-click the file and hit on Properties.
- Now, opt for the Digital Signature tab.
- Choose Intuit and then tap on the Details option.
- Proceed by clicking on the View Certificate option.
- The user now needs to click on Install Certificate.
- Hit on Next tab.
- Culminate by clicking on Finish.
Tactic 10: Configure the Firewall
- The initial step requires clicking on the Start menu.
- Then, open the Windows Firewall.
- Make a move to the Advanced Settings.
- Herein, user should proceed by Right-clicking on Inbound Rules.
- Thereafter, hit on New Rule.
- Give this rule a name and perform the same set of procedure for Outbound Rules.
- Now, hit on Port tab and then, click on Next.
- Herein, choose TCP and type in the ports corresponding to the version of QuickBooks installed on your computer. The ports for different versions of QuickBooks are mentioned below:
|QuickBooks Desktop 2020 and later||8019, XXXXX.|
|QuickBooks Desktop 2019||8019, XXXXX.|
|QuickBooks Desktop 2018||8019, 56728, 55378-55382.|
|QuickBooks Desktop 2017||8019, 56727, 55373-55377.|
- Upon entering the correct port, user needs to hit on Next tab.
- Then, click on Allow the Connection.
- Click on Next tab.
- Give this rule a name and follow up by hitting on Finish.
Tactic 11: Use Quick Fix My Program feature
QuickBooks Tools Hub program is incorporated with a multitude of features to ward off the evolving error codes encountered in QuickBooks. One such feature is the Quick fix My Program.
- Download the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Follow up by installing the tool.
- Once done with the installation, run the tool as an admin.
- Now, advance to the Program Problems option.
- The next step requires clicking on the Quick Fix My Program option.
- Allow the feature to scan QuickBooks for any existential errors and fix them.
- When the walkthrough has been followed entirely, re-open QuickBooks and try to update it again.
The different tactics to fix QuickBooks payroll error 15242 should help users in resolving the issue without much effort. If you face any un-escapable scenario in QuickBooks, just call our QuickBooks error support techies at the helpline i.e., 1-800-615-2347.
More helpful topics: