QuickBooks, no doubt, has led to an astonishing boom in the accounting industry. Due to its promising features, it has attained a remarkable and unfathomable feat in small and medium-sized businesses. However, with an ever-dynamic technological landscape and an intricate build-up of QuickBooks, this program keeps facing different sorts of issue and technical challenges. One such issue pervading within this composite accounting program is QuickBooks Payroll Error 12, 0.
The main instance when this error is typically observed is while making attempts to open the company files. Users should delve into this comprehensive piece of writing to fully master the skill of troubleshooting QuickBooks error code – 12,0 While opening company file. Thus, keep reading ahead!
You may check also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error 404 (Page Not Found)?
What is QuickBooks Error Message 12 0?
This error is affiliated to the group of Company file related error codes. Talking about the major source of this error, insufficient admin privileges related to the Window components and crucial resources mandatory for uninterrupted QuickBooks operations are the noteworthy causes. The error message that provides a description of this error states “We’re sorry, QuickBooks encountered a problem Error codes (-12 0)”
Main factors behind Error Code (-12 0) in QuickBooks
Some of the notable causes of this Company file error are enlisted below:
- Permissions: Insufficient permissions to proceeding with certain QuickBooks operations.
- Windows Registry issues: Corruption in the Windows registry keys can be a direct contributor to this error.
- Incomplete QuickBooks installation: The last QuickBooks installation was incomplete due to a sudden power failure or some unrecoverable error.
- Incompatibility: The QuickBooks version may not be compatible with the Windows Operating System.
- QB Database Service: The QuickBooks Database Service may be disabled.
- Company file issue: The specific company file may be fraught with technical issues or corruption.
Signs and Symptoms of QuickBooks Error Message 12
Some of the commonly encountered signs and symptoms related to QB Error code 12 0 are:
- The error message providing a description of the error appears on the screen when running QuickBooks, or while opening the Company files. This error message shows up “QuickBooks has encountered a problem and has to close”.
- System performs extremely slowly to the user inputs.
- QuickBooks experiences frequent shutdowns and technical glitches, especially upon opening the Company file.
Methods to Fix QuickBooks Error Code (-12 0)
By now, readers should be well versed with the various causes and signs corresponding to the Error 12, 0 While Opening Company File. It is now time to visit the methods that are effective in fixing this error.
Method 1: Check for QuickBooks Compatibility
Some QB users ignore the compatibility check of QuickBooks and the Operating system. This could be a potential cause of the ongoing error. In case of an incompatibility, the current version of QuickBooks should be uninstalled, and the compatible version downloaded.
- Run QuickBooks Desktop with admin privileges (Click on Run as Administrator upon right-clicking on the QuickBooks icon).
- When the accounting program loads up, press the F2 key.
- The F2 key will immediately open the Product Information Window.
- Scroll down this window and carefully check the details to note the version of QuickBooks.
Method 2: Allowing Folder Access Permissions
To enable the folder permissions for fixing QuickBooks Error code 12-0, go through the following procedure:
- Start by opting for Properties after right-clicking the Service name.
- Thereafter, choose “Everyone for Group or User Names” available under the Security tab.
- Provide Full Control to QuickBooks.
- Now, head to the Permissions for Everyone column, and therein, opt for Full Control.
- Hit on Apply.
- In the end, click on Ok.
Method 3: Enabling QBdatabaseserviceuser23 service
This error could also be caused due to the service related to the QuickBooks Database Server Manager being disabled. The steps to enable this service are:
- The service corresponding to the QuickBooks Database Manager is named “Databaseserviceuser23.0”.
- The user is required to right-click QBdatabaseserviceuser23 and subsequently, clicking on Properties.
- If the service shows a Start service option, click on this option.
- Once done with that, run QuickBooks and make an attempt to open the Company file.
Method 4: Use the QuickBooks File Doctor
If the (Error -12, 0) is caused due to a corruption or damage in the Company file, the user should scan the company file via the QuickBooks File Doctor tool. The tool can be accessed via the QB Tool Hub.
- The inceptive step is to download QuickBooks Tool Hub and following that, install this Intuit tool.
- Now, run the Tool Hub, and opt for the Company File Issues tab.
- From here, opt for the option to Run QuickBooks File Doctor and use the tool to scan the Company file upon browsing for the file.
- Afterwards, click on Check your file and hit on Continue.
- Now, tap on Next and wait for the process to end.
Method 5: Update Windows and QuickBooks Desktop
The steps for updating Windows are:
- In the Start menu, search for “Update” and open the Windows Update Window.
- Click on Check for Updates and proceed with the Update process.
- Once done, opt for a system restart, and then, without interrupting the process, let these updates get installed automatically.
- When the Desktop loads up, proceed with updating QuickBooks Desktop.
Update QuickBooks Desktop
The procedure to update QuickBooks Desktop is:
- At the start, right-click the QuickBooks icon and opt for Run as Administrator option.
- Now, within QuickBooks, click on the Help tab, and following that, tap on Update QuickBooks Desktop.
- In the new window, checkmark the Reset Update option, and move on with the update process by clicking on Get Update tab.
- When done, restart QuickBooks and click on Yes on the onscreen prompt asking for permission to install the updates.
- When all is done, just run QuickBooks and make another attempt to run the Company file.
Method 6: Restore Windows
In case updating QB and Windows fails to fix the issue, in that case, there is a high possibility that some conflicting program might have made changed that incited QuickBooks Error message 12 0. To roll back these changes, users should go for a System Restore. The steps are:
- In the start menu, search for “Restore”.
- Now, run the System Restore tool and opt for the recent Restore Point.
- Finally, proceed with the restore process. This will roll back the system state to an earlier state in which the change was being made, without affecting the other system files.
Method 7: Run System File Checker Tool
To fix any system related issues that led to such error, the SFC/Scannow command should be used in the Command prompt. Follow the steps below to get started:
- Access the Command Prompt from the Start menu by searching for “cmd” and double-clicking on the icon.
- When the Command Prompt loads up, type the command “SFC/scannow”, and then press Enter.
- This action will start a series of operations that will diagnose and fix any system file issues.
- When the process culminates, go for a system restart and then, try to access the Company file again in QuickBooks.
The main endeavor of this write up was to embolden our readers with the information that would help them fix QuickBooks Error code 12,0. If you are facing any sort of issues when running QuickBooks, the best walkway would be to share the issue with our certified QuickBooks payroll error support professionals at Axpertadvisors by calling at the helpline i.e., 1-800-615-2347.