The Payroll update error in QuickBooks usually arrives when the paychecks would be stuck as “Online to send“, and you try to send paychecks via online mode. You won’t be able to process the payrolls if any paycheck is stuck in your system. Therefore, you would compulsorily need to resolve QuickBooks payroll error PS038 as soon as possible.
Basic troubleshooting can be a preliminary method to fix this technical glitch. Still, the critical payroll data of the employees ask for better attention than troubleshooting to avoid any sort of data loss. In this article, you will find different effective troubleshooting methods to get rid of this QuickBooks payroll error PS038.
You might see also: How to Repair Fix QuickBooks Update Error 12031?
Step-by-Step Procedure to Rectify the QuickBooks Error PS038
Below are the reliable and quick solutions to troubleshoot QuickBooks payroll error PS038. Follow the steps in the given sequence for a quick resolution.
1st Step: Update the latest version of QuickBooks Desktop software
Before initiating the first step, you need to make sure that you have updated the latest version of QuickBooks Desktop software. After that, depending on your payroll services, you will have to choose one of the following options under the “Employees” segment:
- My Payroll Service
- Send Payroll Data
If any of these two options runs successfully, you can attempt this way to get payroll updates in the future. However, if you still get the QuickBooks PS038 error message, you would have to proceed to further steps. Also, for the failure of the sending, you can contact the concerned payroll services for their support.
2nd Step: Inspect if some paychecks got stuck in QuickBooks
You’ll have to identify whether any of your paychecks have been stuck on the QuickBooks online mode. If yes, you don’t require deleting or editing those stuck paychecks. You can just check and make a note of the total number of matches by opening the Find window at the bottom right corner. Also, you would have to ensure to take notes of both the newest and oldest stuck checks for further reference.
To identify the stuck paychecks and to resolve QuickBooks payroll error PS038, you would have to go through the following step-by-step procedure:
- Head to the Edit option and then opt for the Find option.
- After that, tap on the Advanced tab option.
- Also, there would be a “Choose filter” option. There you can check the filter list, and you have to choose the Detail Level option.
- After that, hit on “Summary only”.
- Then, move to the “Choose filter” section, and hit on the Online status option from the Filter list.
- Then choose the Online option to send the payroll from the drop-down menu.
- After that, opt for the Find option to check those paychecks that haven’t yet been sent for intuition.
- Lastly, you would have to Run the verify of data to check whether any paychecks are still stuck.
If you are still unable to resolve QuickBooks payroll error PS038, you would have to undergo the next step to fix the issues.
3rd Step: Verify & Rebuild the data
Before undergoing the 3rd step, make sure that you have created a backup of your company file related to QuickBooks Desktop. After that, firstly, verify the data, and if it still shows stuck paychecks, then you would have to run the rebuild data check. Follow the steps:
- Initially, launch the QuickBooks Desktop and move to the File menu, and then Utilities.
- Afterward, opt for Verify Data.
- Now, close all open windows by hitting on OK.
- Tap on OK if QuickBooks detects no issues with your data.
- Go for the File menu and then move to Utilities.
- Hit on the Rebuild Data option.
- Now, hit on the OK tab to create a backup, and then hit on Save.
- Once the rebuild gets finished, go for View Results.
The rebuild data would show that it had already fixed the paychecks. However, suppose the rebuild data cannot eliminate all the stuck payrolls, and you are still receiving the QuickBooks PS038 error notification during the download of payroll updates. In that case, the probable causes for such glitches can be:
- Your paychecks have crossed the oldest billing date. However, in this case, you would not get the PS038 error notification.
- Maybe you have utilized the condensed data tool earlier in the QuickBooks desktop file for the particular dates that consist of the stuck paychecks.
- Even an accountant copy can be pending.
If the 3rd cause is relevant to your payroll error issues, you can merge the changes in the accountant’s copies or even cancel the copy for further proceedings. However, canceling this copy would need a new one to be immediately made if your accountant is still undergoing some alterations.
If the QuickBooks Payroll Error PS038 occurs even after following Step 1, 2 & 3
Step 1: Send payroll data
If even after following all the above-mentioned steps, the error still comes back, then again, depending on your payroll services, you will have to select one of the following options under the “Employees” segment:
- Under the Employees menu, choose My Payroll Service, and then Send Usage Data. Or,
- Under the Employees menu, choose the Send Payroll Data option.
Step 2: Make sure that Net pay and taxes are unchanged
If you can do that successfully, try getting the payroll updates again in this way. However, if the error notification is still popping up, proceed to the following steps –
- After creating a backup of your company files, firstly select the Edit option and then go to the find option. Then go to the “Advanced tab” option.
- In the “choose filter” section, from the “Filter” list, either select “Detail Level” and “Summary only” consequently or select the “Online to send” option.
- After that, choose the “Find” button to check the paychecks that haven’t yet been sent to rebuild in the desktop version of QuickBooks.
- Record the descriptions of all those paychecks and then send them to Excel and save the files.
- After that, open each paycheck and choose the “Paycheck detail” option. A “Net Pay Locked” notification would appear. After that confirm the Net Pay and taxes haven’t changed and select the OK and Save and Close options simultaneously.
Therefore, to eliminate the issues occurring at QuickBooks Payroll, repeat the above-mentioned steps for every paycheck present in the Online results to send the status. After completion, you would have to try sending the usage data once more. Also, you can delete the stuck paychecks and can even recreate them. However, it would require extra reconciliation.
Have you tried any of these strategies? Our team has a couple more options for you to assist you in fixing the QuickBooks error PS038 without falling out. Get on the phone with us at 1-800-615-2347, and we would be happy to help you.
Our QuickBooks payroll error support team work round the clock to provide the best possible services to users across the globe.