Learn how to fix QuickBooks error 20 while printer activation:
Have you recently faced the QuickBooks Printer not activated error 20? The chances are you have been using the print your files from QuickBooks options wrong. Reasons like your operating system not aligning with the QuickBooks existing version create such problems while printing. In this post we are going to discuss about the solution of QuickBooks printing problems. If you are running your QuickBooks 2009 on Windows 10, this obviously shows the evidence of automatic notifications of updates have stopped working like the QuickBooks does not update on it’s own. In comparison to Windows 10 which you will find updating itself twice on an average in a month, QuickBooks automatically updating itself since May 2012. Therefore, technical compatibility issues are one of the reasons for QuickBooks error code 20.
Reading this blog post till the end, will help you to learn the simple procedures to get rid of this QuickBooks printer not activated error 20. However, for further details, you can reach out to our tech professionals using our support line. Our team of certified professionals will help you to fix the bug in no time.
Major Reasons for QuickBooks Error Code 20
- Compatibility between Windows 10 and QuickBooks downloaded version in your desktop.
- QuickBooks not updated to the latest version.
- The printer device itself isn’t working to support the QuickBooks printing system.
- Issues, grown from the QuickBooks Windows Registry.
- Your Application Key needs to be the latest and updated, which it’s not.
Read Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error H505?
Solutions to Fix Printer Not activated (Error Code -20) in QuickBooks Desktop
First of all, you need to ensure that you do have the administration access in your desktop, otherwise, the solutions explained below will not be able to fix the QuickBooks printer not activated error 20.
1st Solution: Create a Registry Backup and System Restore Point
- Go to the Search tab and type ‘Regedit’ and right-click it to hit the option Run as Administrator.
- After that go the Computer section, click the file, and save it.
Now to create a System Restore Point in your Desktop (These steps majorly work for Windows 7, 8, 10 and the other versions of the latest windows.)
- Once done with that, hit a right-click on This PC icon on your desktop window screen and then select Properties.
- You now have to opt for System Protection from the left pane on the screen of the Properties popped-up window.
- In the next step just choose the System Protection divider on the new pop up window and you will then see the option to Create new restore points. Then click on it.
- Type in the Description of the desired restore point and again click Create. It will take merely a minute or two, depending upon the network connection and the processing speed of your operating system.
2nd Solution: Use Configuration of User Permission
- Follow the same procedure as earlier, and find Regedit on the search option on your Windows PC.
- After opening it with the Run as Administrator option, double-click on the HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG folder on the left side window pane under the drop-down menu of the computer section.
- Now, right-click on the Software folder to find the Permissions option to choose from the given menu.
- When the window pops up, allot “Full Control” to the “Users” if in case it’s not already assigned and after doing so, simply click OK to move ahead.
See Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Abort Error?
3rd Solution: Check the QuickBooks PDF Capabilities with QBprint.qbp File & Repair It
- Search the Control Panel from the Windows search and go to Programs and Features under it.
- Scroll down the list of the programs installed on your desktop and find QuickBooks.
- Right-click it to select Change option and initiate the repairing only to follow the lead by the given set of instruction to the end.
- After the QuickBooks Repair, restart the computer device. Let the updates take place at a faster speed.
- Now, try printing a document or save it as a PDF from the QuickBooks software you have installed or have been using till now. This probably will solve the notorious QuickBooks printer not activated error code 20 that hampers seamless printing of your important documents on time.
4th Solution: Check and Configure Print Spooler Service
- Hit the Windows + R keys at the same time and type MSC in the window that pops up named Run Box.
- Try the right-click option on the Print Spooler Service from the list of services shown to select the option of Properties later on.
- Click on the Stop button to stop the Print Spooler Service.
- Wait a few seconds and then pick the Start button to initiate the services again.
- Close all the window pop-ups now and try printing a document or saving a PDF to print directly from the QuickBooks. Hopefully, QuickBooks Error Code 20 resolved.
Read Also: How to Troubleshoot QuickBooks Error 6123?
5th Solution: Update Your Windows or/and Install QuickBooks Once Again
First of all, keep a note of your QuickBooks license and product number before carrying the steps mentioned below.
- Go to the Control Panel and hit on the Programs and Features option.
- Scroll down the list of the programs installed that you see and find QuickBooks amongst them.
- Tap on Uninstall QuickBooks
- Follow the remaining instructions while the uninstalling procedure runs.
- Now, you have to download and install the windows updates, after which you will need to restart the computer.
- After all that is done, insert the CD in the system or find the already installed extension file of the QuickBooks software to initiate the installation of QuickBooks again.
- Follow any steps mentioned. You would need to follow these steps while you are re-installing the QuickBooks software. Also, keep in mind it will take a few minutes. So avoid running any other applications in the background.
- Finally, when you should be able to print the necessary files after your software has been reinstalled as it resolves many errors automatically with the re-installation.
6th Solution: Checking the Microsoft Document Writer (Windows Pre-Installed Component)
Microsoft Document Writer facilitates Windows capabilities to support QuickBooks in saving information in any format like PDF. However, if this window component is not found, you will face trouble like QuickBooks Error Code 20 when you want to print a document from the QuickBooks software installed on your desktop. Here’s how you ensure you don’t face that problem:
- Find the QuickBooks icon on your main window screen and right-click it to choose Open File Location.
- Get to the Temp folder and look out for the folder matching the version of your current QuickBooks software.
- Browse the cursor along that folder to further open the Third-Party folder inside.
- Find the Exe file, double click it for installation.
- Now, head back after the installation is done. Go to the main QuickBooks software and open it to register the license.
- Though, if any case, the installation stops in the middle, you can start it again, there’s no issue with that.
- Once everything said is done, try printing your desired documents from QuickBooks itself. You wouldn’t be facing the QuickBooks Error Code 20 anymore.
Solution 7: Fix Microsoft Document Writer
- First of all, right-click the QuickBooks icon and then opt for Properties.
- Hit on the Find Target option.
- The next step is to double click the Install Application, or exe, to install the PDF converter.
- Now, hit ok after the installation process finishes.
- Moving ahead, tap on the Windows Start button and then choose Run or search.
- Then, enter the Control Printers, pick the printers window, and hit OK.
- Next step in the process is to right-click the Amyuni Document Converter and hit on print properties if you are a windows 7 user. Or Windows XP users can tap on the Amyuni Document converter and then hit on Rename.
- The last step in the process is to depend on the QuickBooks version and release installed, followed by entering the correct name and hitting Enter.
8th Solution: Allow the Usage of Powershell Script
- You need to update the registry key editor manually by offering authority to use the PowerShell script.
- Tap on the start tab and type in cmd.
- Choose the run as admin tab and hit on cmd.
- Type in PowerShell in the command prompt and hit enter tab.
- Ascertain to copy and paste the code in the command prompt.
PowerShell.exe -NoProfile -NoLogo -NonInteractive -Command “$key = [Microsoft.Win32.Registry]::CurrentConfig.OpenSubKey(‘Software’,[Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKeyPermissionCheck]::ReadWriteSubTree,[System.Security.AccessControl.RegistryRights]::ChangePermissions); $acl =$key.GetAccessControl(); $rule = New-Object System.Security.AccessControl.RegistryAccessRule (‘Users’,’FullControl’,’ObjectInherit,ContainerInherit’,’None’,’Allow’); $acl.SetAccessRule($rule); $key.SetAccessControl($acl);”
9th Solution: Use QuickBooks Print and PDF Repair Tool
- Download the PDF and print repair tool or use it from QuickBooks tool hub.
- Run the tool in admin mode.
- The application will run with a red background and will let you find the solution.
- Ascertain that the QuickBooks version is updated.
- Make sure that the printer is printing out of your QuickBooks desktop.
- Reboot after running the tool.
- Make sure that all other applications running are closed.
Read Also: How to Fix QuickBooks error code 80070057?
This article is created after consulting certified experts to help you troubleshoot the QuickBooks Printer not activated error 20. If in a rare case, none of the solution tasks mentioned above work, you must contact a professional for assistance. Our QuickBooks 24/7 error support experts boast years of experience and cutting-edge tools and technology in fixing a wide range of QuickBooks-related issues. You can contact us and expect quick and precise solutions for your accounting-related issues.