Learn how to tackle the Error: Failed or Error: Restore Failed while restoring a backup copy in QuickBooks Desktop
None of us like to face issues when performing important activities on QuickBooks desktop. And one such error can be QuickBooks restore failed error. This is basically a technical glitch that you can experience when restoring a backup copy of the company file in QuickBooks.
To get a better understanding of fixing such an error, going through this piece of writing would definitely work for you. However, if you require any sort of assistance in tackling the same error, then connecting with our tech support line.
A gist of the QuickBooks Restore Failed Error
QuickBooks users face issues when they try to restore data from QuickBooks backup files, during which the process fails with one of the following messages:
- Error: Failed or Restore invalid
- Restore Failed. This is an Invalid Format of a Post QuickBooks 2007 Backup File
- Error: Restore failed. Can’t remove log file
This means that the restoration has failed and various reasons can be responsible for this failure.
Software: Intuit QuickBooks
Signs: unable to Backup is restoring the file which already exists, unable to restore the backup through USB flash drive, incorrect backup file being restored, etc.
Quick solution: Copy backup file to a new folder
Symptoms of Restore Failed error while restoring a backup copy of QuickBooks company file
- Backup is restoring the file which already exists
- You are able to restore the backup through USB flash drive
- Wrong backup file is being restored
- Backup was done with the latest or different version of QuickBooks.
Why you land into QuickBooks restore failed issue?
Experiencing this technical glitch is most probable due to the below factors:
- One of the most common reasons can be if the company file is compromised or company file name includes special characters ( / < > ! $).
- Another reason can be if the backup was restored over an existing company file.
- If the company file has a special character, then experiencing similar issue is probable.
- You can also experience such an error if the backup was restored from a USB flash drive to a network drive (Error 6189, -816).
- If the backup was made in a newer version. (For instance: Backup was created in QuickBooks 2022 but you’re restoring it in QuickBooks 2020)
- The file you are trying to restore is not the correct backup file.
You may read also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 80029c4a: Can’t Load DLL?
Solution steps to fix QuickBooks Error: Failed or Error: Restore Failed when restoring a backup
Performing the below set of steps can be of certain assistance in dealing with QuickBooks restore failed issue. Let us explore:
Procedure 1: Eliminating the special characters from the company file name
- In this procedure, you are supposed to look for the location of the company file.
- Right click the file name and then choose rename tab.
- Conclude the procedure by creating a file name that has no special character.
- Hit enter key and you are done.
Procedure 2: Avoid overwriting and existing file
- In order to start this procedure, you are suggested to browse to the standard location for saving the file, when you are on the window that asks where you wan to save the file.
- Furthermore, if the file is the same as another file in this folder, you will see a message that reads “The file name exists. Would you like to overwrite this file”.
- Hit no tab.
- Edit the name of the file to be different from the existing file.
Procedure 3: Copy the backup from flash drive or network drive
It is recommended to restore a backup to and from the local system, as it is simpler than using a flash drive or network drive. It is also advised to copy the backup to the desktop before restoring it.
Procedure 4: Copying the backup to a new folder before restoring it
Under this procedure, you are supposed to copy a backup to a new folder and ensure it is not in the folder that might be damaged. You can use windows explorer, by copying and pasting the file into a folder in a different location.
Procedure 5: Use the same or newer version of QuickBooks when restoring the backup
You can try to restore the backup to a newer version of QuickBooks desktop, but avoid switching to an older one due to file structure changes between versions.
- You may restore a backup from QuickBooks desktop 2018 in QuickBooks 2019.
- Don’t restore a backup from QuickBooks 2019 in QuickBooks 2018.
Procedure 6: Repair the company file
You can perform the necessary steps to resolve data damage in QuickBooks and try resolving the issue.
- Go to QuickBooks File menu > Utilities > Rebuild Data.
- After this, go to QuickBooks File menu > Utilities > Verify Data.
Still unable to deal with the error?
Can’t deal with restore failed error in QuickBooks desktop even after performing the set of steps discussed earlier in this segment. Well, we have a solution for that as well. You can get on a call with our 24×7 QuickBooks error support personnel using our dedicated helpline number. Thanks for your valuable time. We hope that reading this blog post might have helped you.