Here is how you can configure firewall settings for QuickBooks to set up multi-users in QuickBooks:
Firewall and security settings often seem one of the trickiest settings, when it comes to QuickBooks accounting software. Firewall is basically a must to have as an application as it saves the system from different threats including malware, viruses, and unwanted programs. Often firewall blocks the internet access needed to run QuickBooks desktop and the company file. You can experience such an error when using QuickBooks desktop in multi-user environment.
This segment is going to throw some light on how to configure firewall settings for QuickBooks and all the relevant procedures involved in configuring the security settings. Thus, if you are interested in finding out what it takes to configure firewall and security settings for QuickBooks, scroll through this segment carefully. For expert advice, give us a call using our QuickBooks technical support line.
You may read also: QuickBooks Multi User Mode Not Working – How to Fix it?
Procedure to configure firewall and security settings for QuickBooks desktop
You are suggested to perform the below set of steps for configuring firewall and security settings for QuickBooks accounting software.
Step 1: To configure firewall settings for QuickBooks, initially, set up the QuickBooks Tools Hub
So as to use the QuickBooks tool hub program, shutting down QuickBooks software is the first and foremost step. Moreover, while opting for Tool Hub on Windows 10, 64-bit is believed to be the best choice for a seamless experience.
- Kick start the procedure by closing QuickBooks.
- Head forward by downloading the recent version of the tool hub.
- Make things easy by saving the file to a folder therefrom it can be easily accessed in future.
- Most importantly, in case you have installed the tool hub previously, then you can spot the version you are using. Head to the home tab and you will be able to find the version at the bottom.
- Opt for and open the file downloaded in the previous step.
- Performing the steps that pop up on your screen would take you further in the process.
- After the installation process concludes, double-tap the icon on the Windows desktop to open the tool hub.
Mark that, if you are unable to spot the icon, search for the same in windows and choose the program.
Step 2: Run the QuickBooks File Doctor tool
- Under the QuickBooks tool hub, you need to opt for Company File Issues.
- Tap on Run QuickBooks File Doctor.
- The file doctor tool might take a couple of minutes to open.
- You need to note that if the tool doesn’t open up, then look for the QuickBooks file doctor tool and open it manually.
- Once it opens up, you need to tap on the company file from the dropdown menu.
- In case identifying the file becomes difficult for you, then you are suggested to hit on Browse and search to find your file.
- Head for Check your file and network and then Continue.
- Fill in the QuickBooks admin password.
- Hit next.
One of the most important points to note is that the scan time depends on your file size. Often, it can take up to 5 minutes. When the scan finishes, you need to open QuickBooks and your company file. The scan may say it was unsuccessful even if it fixes your issue.
Step 3: Updating and configuring the firewall manually
You need to check that QuickBooks is in the latest version. If not, then ensure to update the firewall.
Adding firewall port exception for QuickBooks
- Initially, head to the windows start menu.
- Afterward, enter the windows firewall and also hit on windows firewall and open the same.
- Head to the advanced settings tab.
- Then, right-click on the inbound rules and opt for the new rule.
- Tap on port and hit the next tab.
- Ensure to hit on TCP.
- Insert the ports needed for your QuickBooks year version
- QuickBooks desktop 2021: 8019, XXXXX
- QuickBooks desktop 2020: 8019, XXXXX
- QuickBooks desktop 2019: 8019, XXXXX
- QuickBooks desktop 2018: 8019, 56728, 55378-55382
- QuickBooks desktop 2020: 8019, 56727, 55373-55377
The point to be noted here is that QuickBooks desktop 2019, 2020, 2021 and upcoming versions use dynamic ports. These are firewall ports mentioned during installation. The format of the port for QuickBooks desktop 2019 and later version is said to be 8019, XXXXX.
Steps to get the dynamic port number
Perform the below steps to get the dynamic port number. The steps are easy to follow, the only prerequisite is that you follow them sequentially.
- At first, head to the windows start menu.
- Type in QuickBooks database server manager and also hit on the QuickBooks database server manager and open the same.
- Now, tap on the port monitor tab.
- Search for the QuickBooks version.
- Provide the port number.
- Use this for the firewall port exception.
You need to change the port number by hitting on the new tab. Find out the scan folder tab and also opt for the scan now tab. This will basically reset the firewall permissions, but you can only upgrade ports for QuickBooks 2019 and later versions.
- Once you are able to enter port no., you need to hit on the next tab.
- Then, choose to allow the connection, and later on, hit the next tab.
- Check mark all profiles and then hit on next.
- Create a rule and name it as QBPorts
- Hit the finish tab.
For creating outbound rules, perform a similar set of steps. Move to QuickBooks desktop and switch to multi-user mode. Open QuickBooks on the network from one of the host systems.
Steps for creating windows firewall exceptions for QuickBooks programs
- Initiate the procedure by heading to the windows start menu.
- Type in ‘windows firewall’ and double-tap on the windows firewall to open the same.
- Then, hit on the advanced settings.
- Right-click on the inbound rules and tap on the new rule.
- Furthermore, choose the program option and head to the next tab.
- Head to the program path and also opt for the browse tab.
- Look for and tap on one of the executable files on the chart above.
- Hit the next tab.
- Opt for allow the connection option and hit on the next tab.
- Ensure that all the profiles should be marked and also tap on the next tab.
- Generate a rule and later on assign a name to it.
You are required to create outbound rules and also repeat the steps for outbound.
|AutoBackupExe.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|Dbmlsync.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|DBManagerExe.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|FileManagement.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|FileMovementExe.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|QuickBooksMessaging.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|QBW32.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|QBDBMgrN.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|QBServerUtilityMgr.exe||C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks|
|QBCFMonitorService.exe||C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks|
|QBLaunch.exe||C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks|
|QBUpdate.exe||C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate|
|IntuitSyncManager.exe||C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\Sync|
|OnlineBackup.exe||C:\Program Files\QuickBooks Online Backup|
In case you can notice program files, then it indicates that you are using the 64-bit operating system. You need to move to QuickBooks desktop and also switch to multi-user mode.
Check your antivirus or firewall settings
In case you configured the firewall but continue to land into similar issues, then checking the antivirus settings would be the best-recommended solution. You are also required to ensure that QuickBooks has general permissions. This ensures that it is not blocked. However, the procedure might be different. You can have a look at the procedure to set up permissions for your antivirus software.
Add QuickBooks ports exception on your antivirus or firewall
Are you still experiencing the same issue when opening the file over a network or in multi-user mode? A solution to that is to add port exceptions for the executable files listed in the table above.
Ascertain that the TCP is opted right and also type in the ports required for the QuickBooks version. The port numbers are mentioned in the step related to configuring the firewall manually. Also, keep in mind that if you are using different or multiple versions of QuickBooks desktop, then adding each year’s ports is recommended.
Restart your computer
A couple of programs demand rebooting the system, so as to save the changes. After you are done with the procedure above, you need to reboot the system and try opening QuickBooks now.
Also see: How to Resolve QuickBooks Error 6000 82?
Still unable to configure firewall settings for Quickbooks?
Having explored the steps mentioned above, you should be able to configure firewall and security settings for QuickBooks. However, if that isn’t the case, all you need to do is to get on a call with our QuickBooks technical support professionals using the support line. Our customer executives will be more than interested in answering your queries associated with this accounting software.