Learn how to fix data damage on your QuickBooks desktop company file:
Data issues or company file issues are often one of the most frustrating errors to handle. As a result of these errors, you might not be able to open QuickBooks company file. Though company file issues are often sensitive, fixing these issues are possible by performing some set of steps. You can find the steps listed below or if you are not interested in manually performing the steps, then talking to our support professionals using our helpline is suggested.
Important point to remember
Points to consider before you start troubleshooting the QuickBooks Company file issues:
- First of all, make it very sure the issue has occurred with the Company File and not the program. Also, make sure that the QuickBooks has been updated so that it can function better. You can do this in this way:
- Click and hold the ‘Ctrl key‘ and double-click the ‘QuickBooks Desktop icon‘
- If the program is not starting, then try another method.
Note: When you are doing this, ensure that you do not release Ctrl key until the No Company Open window opens
- Ensure that company file is hosted by only one computer. If it is being hosted by other computers as well, turn it off. You can do the same by following steps:
- In QuickBooks, go to ‘File > Utilities‘
- Now, choose to ‘Stop hosting multi-user access‘
Note: If you see anything else apart from Stop hosting multi-user access, that means that multi-user hosting has already been turned off.
- Now move on to the next steps
- Make sure that the QuickBooks Desktop is not corrupted. While opening a sample file, if you find an error, then troubleshoot the QuickBooks Desktop Installation.
Steps to Resolve Common QuickBooks Company File Issues
Below we have shared few methods to resolve most common QuickBooks desktop company file issues.
Solution 1: Open QuickBooks company file
When you find that the issues you are facing with QuickBooks continue to grow, at that time, moving Company File to Windows Desktop cam help with folder permission problems.
Step 1: In QuickBooks, go to File and Open or Restore the Company.
Step 2: Find the correct radio button for the file you are opening.
Final Step: Browse to the file location and open it.
Note: You will get a notification of where you want to restore the file if you are opening a .QBX, .QBB or .QBM file.
Solution 2: Preventing QuickBooks desktop windows from opening automatically
An error occurs wherein when you try to open the company file, many windows open. In this case, you can follow the steps below:
- Choose the company file on the No Company Open window
- Click and hold the ALT key and Open QuickBooks.
Note: If you get a login window, enter your password, click and hold the ALT key and Click OK button. Till the time company file starts completely or the error text pops up, do not release the ALT key. If the company file opens and no error pops up and proceed with the steps below:
- Go to Edit > Preferences
- Press the Desktop View > Don’t Save the Desktop
- Press OK button.
Solution 3: Rename .TLG and .ND extensions on the QuickBooks company files
If you find that the TLG and ND files are corrupt, then you can stay up to the old ones. This will now help you open your file.
Step 1: Open the folder where QuickBooks company file is saved.
Step 2: Right-click on the transaction log file and rename to OLD.qbw.TLG
Final Step: Open company file, this will enable QuickBooks to build new .TLG and .ND files.
- When you delete .TLG files, then you are not assisted as they can recover your lost data.
- Copy the transaction log file with company file so that error does not take place again.
Solution 4: Copy QuickBooks Company File to New Location
If you notice that your company file is placed in network drive, then you must copy it to the local drive. If local file open, then resolve your network configuration. Also, try to download and run file doctor to help you.
Step 1: Create a new folder in C: drive
Step 2: Open folder where company file is
Step 3: Click and hold Ctrl key. Select the company file and corresponding .TLG of company file
Step 4: Right click and Copy
Step 5: Open new folder, Right click and select Paste option.
Solution 5: Download and run file doctor tool
Step 1: First of all download QuickBooks file doctor and open qbfd.exe.
Step 2: Once the tool is installed on the system, it will open up automatically.
Step 3: Next step is to select run QuickBooks file doctor. It can take up to one minute for the file doctor to open.
Step 4: In QuickBooks file doctor, you need to select the company file from the drop-down menu. In case you are unable to spot the company file, then it is recommended to select browse and search to find your file.
Step 5: After that, you need to check the file and then continue.
Step 6: The last step is to enter the QuickBooks admin password and then click on Next.
Solution 6: Repairing the company file using rebuild data tool
- Head to the file menu and move to utilities tab
- Choose rebuild data
- Select ok on the QuickBooks information window
- Perform the onscreen steps to save a backup
- Let the tool fix the file. This might take some time
- QuickBooks might seem stuck, but as long as you can move the mouse, the tool is working
- Once the tool finishes, choose ok tab
- Head to the file menu and hover over the utilities tab
- Choose verify data
- Let the tool check the file for any sort of issues
- In case there are no issues, then choose ok tab and continue using your company file.
- Or else select rebuild now, if QuickBooks finds an issue with the company file.
In the worst case, if after following all the above steps you are not able to resolve basic QuickBooks desktop company file issues and still errors persists, then you can speak to our QuickBooks error support team. Here you can connect with our experts, share your concern and get it troubleshoot in the least time possible.