The QuickBooks Desktop accounting software has successfully proved its worth by benefitting businesses in streamlining their accounting operations. It has also come up as a big respite for accountants by managing their time effectively and aiding them in the timely completion of their accounting tasks. However, one technical issue that has been hindering the smooth functioning of the software is QuickBooks closes unexpectedly or keeps crashing error. This error keeps exasperating users as their accounting operations get halted due to an unexpected crashing of the software.
If you are one of the many victims of this problem and searching for various ways of getting it resolved, then it is encouraged that you visit this article till the end and perform the essential fixation steps to get this issue rectified. Another alternative is to get in direct contact with our tech support team at our helpline to let our expert guide you through the process.
How does this QuickBooks Closes Unexpectedly error manifest itself?
There are various forms in which the error may show up, before crashing the QuickBooks accounting program. The occurrence of this error could also lead to the loss of any unfinished accounting tasks in QuickBooks. These warning messages that show up are as follows:
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
In another instance, the QuickBooks program crashes without showing any error code on the screen.
What Causes QuickBooks to Crash Unexpectedly?
Among the various technical problems that may be encountered by QB users, the frequent and abrupt crashing and unwelcomed termination of the QuickBooks software is the most annoying issue. As this error may have some serious ramifications for your work progress as well as cause data damage in your system, it becomes indispensable to get rid of it at the earliest. In this context, go through the various causes below that play a major role in instigating this error.
- A damage caused to the QBWUSER.INI file can cause the QuickBooks software to crash unexpectedly.
- Issues in the QuickBooks installation files may also incite the error. This might be due to an incomplete installation of the software.
- The company name may have more characters than allowed.
- The crashing issue may also be caused due to a corrupted secondary storage device like a hard disc.
- A broken Windows operating system causes QuickBooks to fail while attempting to open a company file.
- It is possible that you are using an outdated QB program, that might be the cause of the frequent crashing issue.
- Multiple reports being run at the same time due to excessive workload may also be a major cause of the QuickBooks closes unexpectedly or keeps crashing error.
Signs that users may observe when QuickBooks Closes Unexpectedly
While your QuickBooks keeps crashing unexpectedly, there are several ancillary signs that you may observe. These are earmarked as follows:
- The QuickBooks software shuts down with an error message.
- At regular intervals, the QB application begins to freeze, and it loads very slowly than usual.
- The QuickBooks software abruptly crashes while performing an accounting task on it.
- Even after numerous tries, you won’t be able to access your QuickBooks Desktop application because of the error QuickBooks desktop closes unexpectedly.
- The operating system crashes unexpectedly.
You may also see: How to Fix QuickBooks Error 15212 – Payroll Update Failed?
Different Methods to Mend the Unexpected Closure of QuickBooks?
It is now time to familiarize you with the various solutions to get rid of the QuickBooks closes unexpectedly or keeps crashing error. Herein, you are supposed to follow each solution carefully, and once all the steps in a specific method have been complied with, subsequently check if the error got fixed.
Solution 1: Repair the QuickBooks program
- To start off the repair process, restart your computer.
- Next, you are required to opt for the Windows start menu and then proceed to the Control Panel.
- After that, choose the Programs and Features option.
- You must then choose ‘’QuickBooks’’ from the list of installed applications and then hit on Uninstall/Change.
- Now, tap on the Repair.
- Once more, hit on Next to start the repair process.
- After finishing, tap on Finish and launch QuickBooks to check if the unexpected crashing issue is resolved.
Solution 2: Altering the filename of the QBWUSER.ini file
Renaming the QBWUSER.ini file can fix the issue in some cases. It is pertinent to note that renaming the QBWUSER.INI file will also wipe out any of the company files list that you accessed recently. You will need to access them manually the next time you launch QuickBooks. Follow the procedure below to access the file and rename the QBWUSER.ini file:
- At the start, you should visit the location of the QBWUSER.ini file. This file is located in the QuickBooks directory. To visit the location, right-click the QuickBooks Desktop icon and hit on Properties, followed by tapping on the Open File Location option.
- Make sure that you reveal the hidden files and folders to ensure the visibility of all the files.
- Now, search for the QBWUSER.ini file in the Search box.
- After locating the file, you need to hit a right-click on the QBWUSER.ini file and then choose the Rename option.
- Now, add ‘’.old’’ at the end of the file name.
- You need to perform the same steps for the EntitlementDataStore.ECML file, and add .old at the end.
Read Also: How to Troubleshoot QuickBooks Error H505?
Solution 3: Avail of the Quick Fix my Program feature within the QuickBooks Tool Hub
You must launch the Quick Fix my Program from the QuickBooks Tool Hub by carrying out the procedures listed below in order to resolve the QuickBooks crashes while opening company file error.
- First off, you are supposed to shut off the QuickBooks Desktop program and also make an exit from any other programs.
- You now need to download the QuickBooks Tool Hub from the official website of Intuit.
- Now, open the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file that you downloaded previously by double-clicking on it, and then follow the on-screen directions to install the Tool Hub.
- Once the installation is complete, then, double-tap on the Tool Hub icon on the desktop to run it.
- Within the Tool Hub, you now need to choose the Quick Fix my Program feature from the Program Issues tab.
- The tool will take time to fix any issues in your QuickBooks software.
Solution 4: QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool can resolve the crashing issue
The unexpected crashing of the QuickBooks software can also be resolved by making use of the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool. One among the several excellent features offered by the Tool Hub is the Install Diagnostic Tool. This composite tool has the capability to fix assorted installation-related issues within the QuickBooks software.
- You are required to access the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool. The same can be launched via the tools hub program.
- To start off, open the Tool Hub and choose the Program Issues tab.
- Thereafter, choose the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool, and allow it to run.
- The process may take several minutes to finish.
- Once finished, you should restart your computer and again launch the QuickBooks application to see verify the resolution of the error.
Read it also: QuickBooks Won’t Open Company File – How to Fix it?
Solution 5: Suppress the QuickBooks Desktop application
Suppressing the application can aid in fixing the QuickBooks keeps crashing error. Follow the steps listed below:
- While holding down the Ctrl key, you are supposed to hit twice on the QuickBooks Desktop icon.
- Do not release the Ctrl key until you see the “No Company Open” message.
- Finally, proceed with your QuickBooks operations as usual and check if the error got fixed.
Solution 6: Run the Clean Install tool
If the repairing of QuickBooks Desktop doesn’t fix the issue, you are supposed to clean install the software. This process requires you to uninstall and reinstall the QuickBooks Desktop software. You can do it either manually, through the control panel, or by using the QuickBooks clean install tool. In either case, you will require your product and License keys at the time of re-installing the QuickBooks software, so make sure to keep them handy.
If you have misplaced your product key, then you can find it easily by launching the QuickBooks software and then hitting on the F2 key to bring up the Product Information Window. Herein, you need to note down your product key and then proceed with the clean install process.
Solution 7: Update the Windows
The older and outdated versions of the Windows operating system are fraught with several irregularities and technical issues. For that reason, new updates keep rolling out. These are equipped with features and utilities to ensure a user-friendly and error-free experience for users. Using an outdated version of windows is also one of the potential causes that could instigate the unexpected crashing issue in QuickBooks Desktop. It is thus suggested that you update your windows to the latest release:
- Initially, you are supposed to type in ‘’update’’ within the start menu.
- Herein, you need to double-click on the Windows update icon.
- Now, choose the option to Check for updates.
- Make sure that you have uninterrupted internet connectivity while you update Windows.
- Opt for all the available updates and subsequently start the process of downloading them.
- Afterward, you need to reinstall your computer and let the updates install. The process may take considerable time to complete.
- Finally, restart QuickBooks software and inspect whether the crashing issue is resolved.
Solution 8: Manually fix Windows components
The Microsoft components, like the .NET framework and MSXML, are essential for the smooth functioning of the QuickBooks accounting software. Any damage caused to these components can cause errors of various types in the software. You should, thereby, go for repairing these components through the Control Panel.
- Initially, head to the Control panel from the start menu.
- Once the Control Panel window shows up on the screen, you are supposed to move to the Programs and Features tab.
- Now, a long list of installed programs will be available on the screen. Herein, choose Microsoft .NET Framework.
- Follow it up by picking the Uninstall/change option. Then, opt for the Repair option.
- Follow the similar instructions for Microsoft MSXML as well.
- Once the repair process is finished, restart the computer and then attempt to launch the QuickBooks Desktop once again to check if the login error got ousted.
Solution 9: Installing QuickBooks Desktop in Selective Startup mode
Make an attempt to install QuickBooks in the selective startup mode. Conform to this solution if the existing troubleshooting methods don’t work for you.
- You are initially required to launch the Run command window by simultaneously hitting the Windows and R buttons on your keyboard.
- Once the Run window shows up, type in ‘’Msconfig’’ in the box and hit on Ok.
- Next, opt for the Selective startup and Load system services under the General tab.
- Thereafter, choose to Hide all Microsoft Services from the Services menu.
- Then, opt for the Disable all option.
- You also need to make sure that the checkbox labeled Hide all Microsoft services is not opted.
- Additionally, you must confirm that the Windows Installer item on the list of services is selected. Nevertheless, if it’s not, tick the box and press OK.
- Finally, in the System Configuration window, hit on Restart.
Solution 10: Restore your PC
If none of the solutions mentioned above work out for you, then restoring your system should fix the error.
- To begin with, proceed to the system restore tool from the start menu.
- Choose a restore point and then begin the restore process.
- The computer will restart during the process. Upon its completion, re-launch the QuickBooks software. If the QuickBooks software still witnesses unexpected closure, then you should contact our support Team for assistance.
Need help? Connect to our Team
The solutions enlisted within the purview of this article should be sufficient to rectify the QuickBooks closes unexpectedly or keeps Crashing error. If you still continue to face the unexpected closure of the software, then get in contact with our QuickBooks desktop error technical support team via our helpline i.e., 1-800-615-2347. We will make sure that the error gets resolved from your accounting software at the earliest.
More helpful articles: