Use These Useful and Foolproof Methods to Fix QuickBooks Error 3140
QuickBooks is an innovative, fast, and easy-to-use bookkeeping and accounting software. It’s primarily built for small and mid-sized businesses to help them manage their business and meet their goals. Also, while there are seemingly infinite benefits of using this software, it isn’t really uncommon for you to encounter certain issues and glitches while using the software.
In this blog, we are going to throw light on one of the common QuickBooks errors, the QuickBooks Error code 3140. This error oftentimes arises when the QuickBooks users try to sync data or if the software goes corrupt during the downloading process.
You may also read: How to Resolve QuickBooks Error Code 1321?
You may see the following error message on your desktop screen:
When does the QuickBooks Error 3140 Show Up?
It is pertinent to know why the problem exists and what the effective ways are to resolve this annoying issue.
You can face this issue when starting up or shutting down your PC. You may also encounter the problem when conducting the Windows operating system. It is recommended to make a note of how and when this error is appearing to guide you in troubleshooting this error code.
What Causes QuickBooks Error 3140?
- The QuickBooks error code 3140 occurs when the program installation is incomplete or the download is corrupted.
- Another reason is recent changes in QuickBooks software that corrupt the Windows registry.
- Due to Malware infection or virus-infected computer system which damages the important files of Windows and QuickBooks.
- Additional, new or old programs removed the QuickBooks-related files by mistake.
Effects of QuickBooks Error 3140
You may face multiple problems when the error 3140 occurs on your screen.
- The active program functioning on the windows crashes.
- The desktop on which the software is being utilized crashes with the error message 3140.
- Windows and hardware devices like the mouse and keyboard also respond slowly. There is a lag time between the input and the output.
- The periodic screen freezes occur for a few minutes or seconds at regular intervals.
- Sometimes, you may experience a continuous starting up and shutting down of Windows.
You may also read: How to Access QuickBooks Desktop Remotely?
Latest Steps to Fix the QuickBooks Error Code 3140
The troubleshooting process of resolving QuickBooks error 3140 is time-consuming. Following the below-mentioned steps will help you resolve the error and related issues.
Step 1: Repair Registry Entries Associated With Error 3140
Find all the Registry entries related to QuickBooks error code 3140 and repair them. Take aid from your IT professional if you are not comfortable performing this step on your own. Below are the steps to create a backup of QB-related registry entries.
- You need to first hit on the Start tab and type in ‘Command’ in the Search box without pressing the Enter key.
- Furthermore, hit the Ctrl + shift keys and tap on the Enter key.
- Now, opt for Yes on the permission dialog box.
- You will see a black box with a blinking cursor.
- Heading forward, you need to type in ‘Regedit‘, and tap the Enter key.
- In the registry editor, you are suggested to choose the error 3140 related key that you need to Create a backup.
- Pick the Export option in the File menu.
- Now, you need to choose the folder to Save the backup from the save-in list.
- Provide a name to the Backup file in the file name box.
- Ensure that you have marked the Selected branch in the Export range box.
- Opt for the Save option and Save the file with .reg file extension.
- End the process, by saving the Backup of registry entries related to QuickBooks.
Step 2: Conduct a Malware Scan of Your Computer
Malware attack is one of the most common reasons for the QuickBooks error code 3140 occurs. It is important to check whether the system is infected with Malware or virus by performing an in-depth scan through Anti-virus software.
Read also: How to Resolve QuickBooks Error 15263?
Step 3: Perform a System Clean-up Check
You can use the Disk Cleanup (cleanmgr) to remove all the unwanted junk files from the temporary files and folders and clean up your computer. You need to clean system junk files:
- Initially, head to the Start tab.
- Now, on the Search bar, insert ‘CMD’ on the keyboard.
- Press and hold the Ctrl + Shift keys and hit on the Enter tab.
- When you got a pop-up dialog box on the screen, then you need to opt for the Yes tab.
- On your screen, a black window will open, insert ‘cleanmgr’ and hit on the Enter tab.
- When the process is completed, a Disk cleanup box will initiate with checkboxes on the screen. You need to opt for the checkboxes that you need to clean.
- Finally, hit on the OK tab.
Step 4: Update your System Drivers
Update your computer system’s drivers to the most recent version.
- You need to hit on the Settings tab and choose the Update and security option.
- Furthermore, opt for the Windows update and hit on the Check for updates option.
Read Also: How to Solve QuickBooks Error 15241?
Step 5: Restore Previous Setting
Utilize Windows System Restore to “Undo” Recent System Changes by setting set the windows system to a specific restore point so that you can undo any changes that take place.
Step 6: Uninstall and Reinstall the QuickBooks Program
You can ensure that all the applications and files related to QuickBooks software are working in pristine condition by uninstalling and reinstalling them again. The process to uninstall and reinstall is also called the clean installation of QuickBooks desktop software.
You may read also: Fix Error 1712 when installing QuickBooks for Desktop
Step 7: Check for Errors Using the Windows System File Checker (“sfc /scannow”)
- Initially, reveal the Run window by hitting on the Win + R keys.
- Subsequently, type in ‘cmd‘ to show the command prompt.
- Run the process of File Checker on the Windows system by typing “sfc /scannow” in the Command prompt window.
- Hit the Enter key and let the process finish scanning and rectifying your PC for any errors.
Step 8: Install Windows Updates
Keep the Windows Operating System updated to the latest version and with security patches. To update your Windows to the latest version, follow the below-given directions:
- Hit on the Start menu and type in ‘Update’ in the Search box.
- After that, pick the Windows Update option.
- Afterward, opt for the Check for updates option and mark all the relevant updates that show on the screen,
- Start the process of downloading these updates.
- Once completed, restart your PC and let these updates install successfully on your computer.
Read Also: Steps to deal with QuickBooks Error PS107
Step 9: Perform a Clean Installation of Windows
Perform a complete and clean installation of the Windows Operating System.
Need assistance? Our team is accessible 24/7 to help you out.
The above-mentioned method should help you resolve the QuickBooks error code 3140 issue without any hassle. Now, this error shouldn’t appear again, but if it does, you can contact our 24X7 QuickBooks error support team and speak to certified technicians. They will take care of the issue and ensure that the error gets rooted out from your computer.
More helpful topics: