The Payroll Error code 12029 in QuickBooks is primarily a result of an internet connection with inadequate connectivity, causing a network timeout issue. This issue might appear in the QuickBooks Desktop software for internal and external reasons. You can resolve this by examining your internet connectivity. It is pertinent that all the incomplete updates be finished to eliminate the root causes of this problem. In this article, we will be discussing the causes and the various fixes to this QuickBooks error 12029. However, for expert assistance, you can make call our support line and consult with our technical support team anytime.
There are other ways of resolving QuickBooks error code 12029 as well. We shall be getting across all of them in this article. Just make sure that you visit each solution carefully. So, without wasting any time, let us proceed toward the causes leading to this error.
Your screen might show a similar image when the issue occurs:
What Leads to QuickBooks Payroll Update Error 12029?
The QuickBooks update error 12029 may be caused due to several reasons. We have provided a list of potential reasons which provide impetus to this error. These include:
- The server connection may be disrupted by firewall or internet security settings.
- Internet Explorer is not being set as the default browser.
- The SSL settings may be incorrect.
- Your internet plans might have expired.
- Due to the blocked server, the error 12029 may also get triggered.
- Additional connection problems or timeout issues may cause payroll update errors.
These were a few of the external triggers, whereas there are a few internal causes as well, which might cause this type of error. The internal causes of error 12029 are as follows:
- QuickBooks connectivity failures
- Connection issues
- QuickBooks update timeout
- When QuickBooks is blocked from accessing the server
You’ll also like: How to Resolve QuickBooks Payroll Error PS032?
Updated Steps to Troubleshoot the QuickBooks Error 12029 Like a Pro
There are several roundabouts for fixing the error code 12029 in QuickBooks software. All you need to do is perform the steps mentioned in this section very carefully. If any step fails to fix the error, jump to the subsequent troubleshooting method.
Roundabout 1: Downloading Updates by Using the Reset Update Feature
The QuickBooks Error code 12029 can also be instigated by an outdated version of QuickBooks. This problem can be resolved by manually updating QuickBooks. To do this, adhere to the following steps:
- Close QuickBooks after exiting your company file.
- Now, you need to right-click the QuickBooks Desktop file icon on the desktop and then choose the ‘Run as Administrator‘ option.
- Afterward, hit on the ‘Help‘ tab, followed by choosing the ‘Update QuickBooks desktop‘ option while the ‘No Company file‘ window is open.
- Hit the ‘Mark all‘ option under the ‘Options‘ tab.
- Subsequently, choose ‘Save.’
- Proceed to the ‘Update Now‘ tab.
- Follow it up by choosing the ‘Reset Update‘ option.
- Hit on ‘Get Updates‘ tab.
- Close the QuickBooks software after completing the Update. Then, reopen it and choose the ‘Yes‘ option on the installation window that shows on the screen.
- Moving to the next step, wait till the QuickBooks installation completes.
- And the final step is to Restart the system.
Roundabout 2: Remove QuickBooks From the Firewall Settings
One of the potential causes of QuickBooks payroll update error 12029 on your system is Internet Explorer. To do this, take the following actions:-
- Hit the ‘Start‘ menu and type ‘Firewall‘ into the ‘Search‘ box.
- From the list of apps, double-click on the Windows Firewall.
- Hit on ‘New Rule‘ by right-clicking on the ‘Inbound Rules‘ under ‘Advanced options.’
- Choose ‘This Program Path‘ from the ‘Programs section.’
- Choose the location of the QuickBooks file. Subsequently, hit on ‘Next‘ tab.
- After choosing ‘Allow the Connection,’ hit on ‘Next.’
- Before proceeding to the next step, check mark all the boxes.
- Type a name for this rule. Afterward, hit on ‘Finish.’
- Follow the same procedure after opting for the Inbound rules.
- Also, ensure to select the Outbound installed of Inbound.
Related article: How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 80029c4a?
Roundabout 3: Starting Windows in Safe Mode
- First of all, head to the Control Panel from the Start menu and then open the Settings.
- After that, search for the Update & Security option and then hit on the same.
- The next step is to opt for the Recovery option.
- Now, visit the Advanced startup option.
- Followed by, tapping on the Restart now option.
- After the above step, the system will restart and then an option screen will appear.
- Now, hit on Troubleshoot and Advanced options respectively.
- The next step is to choose the Startup setting and then hit the Restart button.
- After that, permit the system to restart. Once it restarts, choose 5 from the list of options for using the system in the Safe mode with networking.
- And the last step is to check whether the the ongoing error is rectified or not.
Roundabout 4: Check your Internet Settings as it may Cause the QuickBooks Error 12029
One of the potential causes of such errors on your system is the erroneous settings related to Internet Explorer. To solve this, take the following actions:
- Close the QuickBooks Desktop software.
- Launch Internet Explorer
- Choose ‘Internet Options‘ from the ‘Tools‘ menu.
- If you don’t find any tools, hit on the ‘Alt‘ key.
- Head to the ‘Security‘ tab. Verify that the security level is not higher than ‘Medium-high.’
- On the ‘Connections‘ tab, choose ISP if you are not using the system’s dial-up node (DUN).
- On the contrary, if you use the DUN, hit on the ‘Never Dial a Connection‘ option.
- Hit on the ‘OK‘ button now.
- Ensure that the ‘Use a Proxy Server‘ box is not selected under ‘LAN settings.’
- Afterward, hit the ‘Automatically detect settings‘ option.
- If the ‘Use a Proxy Server‘ option is checked, note the Full IP and port.
- If the port is other than 80, do not uncheck the ‘Use a proxy server’ box.
- In case the port is 80, ‘Uncheck‘ it.
- Hit on the ‘OK‘ tab.
- From the ‘Advanced‘ menu, choose ‘Restore Advanced Settings.’
- Subsequently, navigate to ‘Settings,’ afterward checkmark the ‘TLS 1.2.‘
- Hit on the ‘OK‘ option now.
- Restart your computer after closing Internet Explorer.
You may read: How to Solve QuickBooks Multi-User Mode Not Working?
Roundabout 5: Configure SSL Settings for Internet Explorer in QuickBooks
- Initially, verify that the Use SSL 2.0 and Use SSL 3.0 are verified.
- Then, choose the Connect tab and also hit the OK tab.
- Furthermore, close QuickBooks and reboot.
- Opt for the Help menu and then tap the Update now tab.
Configure SSL settings internet explorer outside QuickBooks.
- You need to open the Microsoft Internet Explorer browser.
- Head to tools and also tap on the Internet options.
- Then, hit on the Advanced tab.
- Choose the SSL 2.0 and SSL 3.0 checkboxes in the security option.
- You need to hit Apply tab and also tap on OK to close the current window.
Roundabout 6: Reconfigure QuickBooks Payroll and Reboot the Updates
- You need to initially Unplug the wireless router or the internet switch and then wait for around 10 seconds.
- Now turn on the wireless router or the Internet switch and also Check the internet latency now.
- Now, launch the QuickBooks and then the company file.
- Hit the Ctrl + K keys and tap on the Edit tab.
- Also, un-check the open payroll setup.
Roundabout 7: Install or Update QuickBooks Desktop Security Certificate
- You need to right-click on the QuickBooks icon on the desktop and hit on the Properties tab.
- Furthermore, choose the Open file location under the shortcut tab and also hit the OK tab.
- Right-click on the QuickBooks.exe file and opt for the Properties tab.
- Go for the QuickBooks option from the list and also hit on the Details tab present under the Digital signatures tab.
- Proceed to the View certificate option and also choose the Install certificate option from the General tab.
- Authenticate to set the current user, as the store location, under the Certificate import wizard window and also hit on Next.
- Tap on the Next tab and also the Finish option respectively.
- End the process by hitting on the OK tab.
Roundabout 8: Install the QuickBooks Software in Selective Startup
It’s possible that an additional program or set of files is interfering with your work and causing this problem. To cleanly install QuickBooks in the selected startup, adhere to these steps:
- Initially, make a backup copy of your Company file.
- Note down the product details, including your license.
- Make the ‘Run‘ window appear on the screen by hitting the ‘Win + R’ keys.
- Type ‘MSConfig‘ and hit on ‘OK.’
- From the ‘General‘ tab, choose ‘Selective startup and Load system services.’
- Afterward, on the ‘Services‘ tab, check on the ‘Hide all Microsoft Services‘ option.
- Hit on ‘Disable All.’
- Clear the ‘Hide all Microsoft services‘ checkbox.
- Ensure that the Windows Installer checkbox is chosen in the list of services. If it isn’t, check the box.
- On the system configuration window, click ‘Restart‘ after hitting on the ‘OK‘ tab.
- After restarting your system, install the QuickBooks Desktop software.
- Hit on the ‘Win + R‘ keys once more to launch the ‘Run window.’
- Type in ‘MSConfig‘ and hit on ‘OK.’
- Proceed to the ‘General‘ tab and choose the ‘Normal startup‘ option.
- Hit on the ‘Ok‘ button.
- Restart your system now and check if the error 12029 got ousted from your computer system.
See Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error 15103?
A Brief Closure!
In this article, we have covered all the viable and effective methods for resolving the QuickBooks Error code 12029. We threw some light on the several factors that caused this issue and apprised you of the various methods to fix the error.
However, If you experience difficulty while reading or implementing the methods mentioned in this article, we highly encourage you to call our helpline i.e., 1-800-615-2347 to reach out to our experts. Our QuickBooks error support team is available day in and day out to get all your QB-related problems solved. Our team of experts and certified professionals will ensure to provide you with the best possible support.
QuickBooks Error 12029 is a common error that occurs when QuickBooks is unable to access the internet or there is a connection issue, network timeout, or firewall blocking the internet connection.
Yes, misconfigured Windows Firewall settings can cause QuickBooks Error 12029. Windows Firewall is a security application that helps protect your computer from unauthorized access and data theft. It can also block certain applications, including QuickBooks, from accessing the internet if it is misconfigured.
There are several other payroll errors related to QuickBooks Error 12029 that users may encounter. Some of them are:
QuickBooks Error 12002, Error 12007, Error code 12031, QB Error 12152, Error 12045