Users of QuickBooks may face different forms of error codes in different instances. QuickBooks installation errors are pretty common and reveal themselves when users try to go for QuickBooks updates. This peculiar update error pops-up as an error message stating “Error 1612- The update installer is not accessible”.
This article has earmarked all the viable causes and troubleshooting methods that shall guide you to fix Error code 1612 in QuickBooks, and make your update process hassle free. The error message that appears alongside this error code is:
|Error 1612 – Update installer not accessible.
We encourage our readers to go through the full article to find viable solutions to fix QuickBooks Error Code 1612. Keep read on.
Common Causes Leading to QuickBooks Error Code 1612
Some of the most prominent causes of this QuickBooks update error include:
- A corrupted Windows registry entry could incite this update error.
- The last QuickBooks installation was incomplete
- The corrupted company file could lead to this error in some cases, although the chances of this are rare
- During the previous update attempt, the system was abruptly shut down
- Accidental file deletion in the QuickBooks installation folder can be a direct contributor of this error
- A malware or virus attack damaged the installer files
Symptoms related to Update Error 1612 in QuickBooks Desktop
Some of the most commonly observed symptoms that come along with this update error in QuickBooks are:
- QuickBooks desktop goes through a loop of recurring freezes, hanging, and shut downs.
- The update process gets halted all of a sudden and the error message stating the error code appears on the screen.
- The O/S restarts repeatedly.
- Windows takes unacceptably long time to process user inputs, especially when QuickBooks is running.
You may also like: How to Fix QuickBooks Web Connector Error QBWC1085?
Different Strategies to Troubleshoot QuickBooks Error Code 1612
To resolve this error, you can try the following steps:
Solution 1: Setting up the Patch
Users should get the patch installed as a first practicable measure to fix QuickBooks Error message 1612. The procedure is:
- The first step is to visit Intuit website and from there, download the patch.
- Once done with that, head to the Share Download folder, and therein, hit on OFF tab, and then click on Save.
- The same can be restarted by hitting on ON button and then tapping on Save.
- If this doesn’t fix the ongoing issue, try using the SFC command (explained below).
Solution 2: Run the System File Checker (SFC command)
Since this error can be a result of corruptions in the system files, using the System File Checker can prove to be an effective resolution to this. Follow the guidelines below:
- Initially, hit on the Start button, and thereafter, search for ‘cmd’.
- This will reveal the Command prompt icon in the options. Right-click on cmd and hit on Run as Administrator option.
- When the Command prompt appears, type the command “sfc/scannow” in it, and press Enter key.
- This will start a stream of operations. Make sure not to tamper with the process and wait for its completion.
- Once done, restart QuickBooks and try the update process again to double-check if Error code 1612 is no longer existent in QuickBooks.
Solution 3: Uninstall Any Conflicting Apps
Multiple corrupt applications in the background may be inciting QB Error Code 1612. As such users should get them uninstalled in the Control Panel at earliest. The steps are:
- Launch the Control Panel and hit on Programs and Features.
- Herein, the user should click on the program that he/she suspects to be conflicting with the QuickBooks update installation.
- Upon choosing the programs one by one, right-click them and click on the Uninstall option.
- Follow up, by retrying the update process.
- If the running error code is not vanished yet, users should try configuring the firewall settings, as enumerated in the next solution.
Solution 4: End QuickBooks Processes in the Task Manager
Another viable option to fix this error is to terminate all QuickBooks processes, including QBupdate.exe. The steps for which are given below:
- Initially, you need to press the Ctrl + Alt + Delete keys together and then choose the option to Open Task Manager.
- Now, hit on the Processes tab and search for all QuickBooks processes and end them one by one.
- Do the same with services as well.
- Once done, try to update QB Desktop.
Read it Also: How to Fix QuickBooks EXEAdapter Installation Error?
Solution 5: Uninstall Windows Installer
The steps to uninstall the installer are as follows:
- Open the Control Panel through the Start menu.
- Head to Programs and Features.
- Now, click on Windows installer and hit on the Uninstall option.
- Follow up the onscreen directions to successfully uninstall the installer.
Solution 6: Try the Update in Safe Mode
The process to update QuickBooks in the Safe Mode is given as under:
- Hit the Windows key on the keyboard and then type MSconfig, followed by hitting the Enter key.
- Now, mark Selective Startup and also mark Load Services.
- After that, restart the system and then tap the F8 key.
- Choose Safe Mode with Networking and press Enter.
- Now, try to update the software manually through the website of Intuit.
Also Read: How to Troubleshoot QuickBooks Error 2107?
Solution 7: Disable any antivirus software or firewalls temporarily during the QuickBooks installation process
To resolve this issue, you can temporarily disable any antivirus software or firewalls before starting the installation process. Here’s how to disable antivirus software or firewalls temporarily:
Disable Antivirus software:
- Locate the antivirus software icon in your system tray or taskbar, usually at the bottom-right corner of your desktop.
- Right-click on the icon to open the context menu.
- Select “Disable” or “Turn Off” from the context menu.
- Confirm that you want to disable the antivirus software for a certain period, such as 10 minutes, 30 minutes, or an hour.
- Start the QuickBooks installation process.
- Press the Windows key + R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Type in “Control firewall.cpl” and press Enter key.
- In the Windows Firewall settings window, click on “Turn Windows Firewall on or off” on the left side of the screen.
- Select “Turn off Windows Firewall (not recommended)” under both the “Private network settings” and “Public network settings” sections.
- Click “OK” to save the changes.
- Lastly, begin the installation process one more time.
Solution 8: Run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool using tool hub program
Users can also make use of the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool to diagnose any installation issues, including the QuickBooks Error code 1612:
- First of all, access the Intuit website, and from there, download QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Install the tool and then run it.
- Once within the Tool Hub, the user needs to open the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool and proceed with the Scan.
- This tool will fix any issues impeding the update process, including the corruption in the Windows Components.
- When the tool is done with the operations, make an exit from it and run QuickBooks.
- Now, from the Help tab, click on the Update QuickBooks Desktop option.
- Follow up as per the onscreen instructions, and finally, hit on Get Updates to start updating the accounting program.
See Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 15221?
Solution 9: Repair QuickBooks Desktop
Repairing QB from the Control Panel can resolve the QuickBooks update error 1612. For this follow the guidelines:
- Start right-away by clicking on the Start menu, and from there, searching for “Control”.
- Now, open the Control Panel and then proceed to the Programs and Features tab.
- From here, choose QuickBooks and follow it up by opting for Uninstall/Change tab.
- Now, click on the Repair button and proceed as per the instructions on the screen.
- Lastly, try the update process again.
Solution 10: Remove the corrupted installer database file
The corrupted Windows installer database file (.msi) could be potentially resulting in Error code 1612. Users should uninstall file by adhering to the points given below:
- Open the Control Panel upon hitting on the Start menu.
- From there, make a move to the Programs and Features tab.
- Herein, look for the corrupted .msi file which you installed previously. Afterwards, hit on Uninstall/ Change, and proceed with the Uninstall option.
- Abide by the onscreen directions and get the file removed from the system.
- Now, run QuickBooks Desktop and try the update process again.
Also Check: How to Resolve QuickBooks Error Code 267?
The current discussion earmarked important troubleshooting methods to fix QuickBooks Error message 1612. If you stumble upon any technical issues that deter you from updating QuickBooks, or face any other technical issue in your accounting software, just give our QuickBooks desktop error support experts a call at the helpline i.e., +1-800-615-2347.