Learn Simple Steps to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 6189
Bumping into some or the other errors in QuickBooks is pretty much common. QuickBooks error code 6189, 77 is one such error. This particular error belongs to the 6000-error series and further prevents from accessing the company file. Coming across this type of issue can be due to a handful of factors, which we will be discussing later in this article.
One of the common factors triggering QuickBooks error code 6189 can be if there is damaged company file. You might stumble upon this issue when trying to access the company file on QuickBooks. Go through this segment to find out the ideal solution to rectify the QuickBooks error code 6189, 77 successfully.
Following issue might appear on your desktop screen when this error occurs:
|Error||QuickBooks is unable to open this company file. It may have been opened by another user. You should ask that user to switch to multi-user mode so you can both use the company file at the same time. The file could also be located in a read-only network folder. If it is, ask your system admin to make the file accessible. Error codes: (-6189, -816)|
|Warning||“An error occurred when QuickBooks tried to access the company file (-6189, -816),” don’t worry. There’s an issue with your multi-user network, not with your data file.|
Read on this post to know how you can spot, avoid and fix QuickBooks error message 6189 by your own. However you can save your time and efforts by taking help from our dedicated support line to resolve this problem quickly.
What instigates QuickBooks error code 6189, 77?
As we mentioned earlier, there can be some of the factors triggering QuickBooks error code 6189. Let us explore the most common ones below:
- You might face this issue if the Windows system file or QuickBooks related files are infected due to any malware or virus attack.
- Another trigger can be if there is any discrepancy between the QuickBooks company file and transaction log file.
- One more factor causing this problem can be if there is accidental deletion of an essential QuickBooks related file.
- You might come across similar issue if there is damaged, missing, or corrupt QuickBooks company file.
- If one or more users are trying to access a company file in single user mode.
- If partial installation of QuickBooks is corrupted.
Basic symptoms of QuickBooks error code 6189, 77
It will be a little for you to spot the error, exploring the signs and symptoms listed below would surely help.
- One of the basic signs can be each time you open the same program, you might witness your system crashing.
- In case the system hangs for a couple of minutes.
- If the warning message appears on the screen with error description.
- Also, in the event of an active window on the system crashes immediately on the arrival of the issue.
- Another sign can be if the system slows down.
Solutions to be performed to fix QuickBooks error code 6189, 77
Getting rid of QuickBooks error code 6189, 77 becomes a little easy with the steps scribbled below. Let us explore each of the measures that can be taken one by one:
Procedure 1: Reboot the system along with the server
Rebooting the system and the server can be one of the most basic fixes. Restart the systems having company files and along with that reboot the server and head forward till the issue is resolved.
- Restart all computers (in case of multi-user setup) that have access to your company file.
- In case your data is on a server, restart that too.
- Move on to the next solution, if the issue persists.
Solution 2: Install QuickBooks Database Manager on your server
- You can simply download and install the QuickBooks database server manager where all the company files are saved.
- Herein, the verification code isn’t required.
- Additional license is not required during the installation of the Database Manager.
- Install the Database Manager if there is no QuickBooks database user.
- Now you need to restart your server after installation is complete.
- Inside the QuickBooks Database Server Manager, choose Start Scan option.
- Now browse to the location of your company file and then select Start Scan.
- The database server manager will auto repair your Firewall permissions. After that hit a click on Close option once the scan process finishes.
- After the installation process is complete, you are suggested to reboot the server and you are done with the process.
Solution 3: Check if your data file is stored on a network drive
- Ensure that your QuickBooks file is not stored on a NAS device or any other Removable drive.
- These devices are not allowed to run the QuickBooks Database server Manager.
- Sometimes this setup can trigger data corruption.
Read also: How to solve QuickBooks Error code 1935?
Solution 4: Resolve .tlg and .qbw file issue
- Under this process, you need to open the system and browse the transaction log file. Name of the file will be similar to that of the company file, except .tlg extension.
- You need to right click on the transaction log file and go for rename option.
- You now have to insert OLD after the company file, which would look similar to companynameold.tlg
- Moving ahead, QuickBooks will regenerate .tlg files on its own.
- Reboot the system and check if the issue is fixed.
Solution 5: You can use encryption software on your computer
- It’s not advisable to encrypt your company file.
- Don’t encrypt company file in your computer.
Solution 6: Run Quick Fix my Program from the QuickBooks Tools Hub
Step 1: Download install the QuickBooks Tools Hub
- First of all download the QuickBooks Tool Hub file from Intuit site.
- After that save the file into your PC.
- Now open the file location where you saved the download file and double click on QuickBooksToolHub.exe file to install it.
- Follow on-screen instructions and Agree to the terms and conditions.
- Once the installation gets complete click on the QuickBooks Tool Hub icon and open it.
Step 2: Run the Fix my Program from Tools Hub
- Open QuickBooks Tools Hub and choose Program Problems option.
- After that choose Quick Fix my Program.
- Start QuickBooks Desktop and open your data file.
Step 3: Running the QuickBooks clean install tool
- Herein, you need to uninstall QuickBooks desktop, only for Windows user.
- Open tool hub program and navigate to the Installation Issues and hit click on Clean Install Tool option.
- This will take some time to process the command.
- Now it will download QuickBooks clean install tool on your system.
- Further, run the tool to rename the files.
- Perform the steps manually.
- Reinstall QuickBooks software on the system.
Step 4: Run QuickBooks file doctor tool
If none of the above stated steps worked well, then you need to perform the steps below:
- Open QuickBooks tool hub program on your system.
- You need to spot QuickBooks file doctor tool from Company File Issues tab.
- Hit install tab to install it on the system.
- After the installation process completes, run the tool.
- Pay heed to the on-screen instructions.
- Reboot the system and you are good to go.
Read Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Update Error 15106?
Solution 7: Back up and restore the file
- Create a backup file on the old system.
- Copy all backup files to the new system.
- With the help of flash drive or another external device.
- In case use a network, if the systems are connected.
- Restore the backup on the new system.
Solution 8: Download and run QuickBooks refresher tool
- You need to download the QuickBooks refresher tool and install the files from it.
- Save the files to access them easily.
- Keep a check whether no other task is running on QuickBooks desktop.
- Check and close all the versions of QuickBooks running on the system.
- Double click on the QBRefresher.exe file to run the program.
- The QBRefresher runs in 30 seconds, and perform the onscreen steps.
- When the installation is finished, you will have to reopen QuickBooks desktop.
Solution 9: Close QuickBooks from all workstations
- You need to ensure that no company file is being accessed from anywhere.
- Furthermore, reboot the workstations.
- Heading forward, navigate to the company file to the local drive of the system and head back to the original location.
- Try to access the file in QuickBooks.
- Ascertain that the issue is resolved.
Solution 10: Running full malware scan in the system
- You need to locate and run malware scan on the system.
- It will detect and correct all the issues on its own.
The above-mentioned methods should enable you to resolve QuickBooks error code 6189. However, these do-it-yourself methods don’t work all the time. In case the issue still persists after performing the given solutions, you should not waste any more time and immediately contact our 24/7 QuickBooks enterprise error support geeks.
Our tech professionals will surely come up with the most appropriate solution for you. We boast a team of experienced U.S based accounting professionals who can provide you with precise solutions in no time.