New users of the QuickBooks Desktop software are required to register their QuickBooks Desktop version after installing the accounting software on their computer systems. In this pursuit, several users have been facing technical hindrances in the form of the QuickBooks desktop registration Error. This error prevents the users from registering their software, which in turn prevents them from getting full leverage of the impeccable features offered by Intuit. There are several reasons due to which the registration error may manifest itself. Through this article, we shall accustom you to all the plausible and effective methods for fixing the QuickBooks registration Error.
All you need to do is adhere to the instructions provided in this article till the very end while ensuring a careful implementation of all the troubleshooting solutions to oust the errors related to the registration of your favorite QuickBooks accounting software. If you feel a need for technical assistance, you may reach our U.S based Technical Support Team via the helpline. We are also accessible through the Live chat, available on our homepage.
What Factors Lead to the Registration Error in QuickBooks Desktop?
There are several factors that can embolden the QuickBooks registration error. These encompass the following:
- Poor internet connectivity can potentially cause the registration error. As such, you are required to use uninterrupted and seamless internet while you ensue the registration process.
- Erroneous settings within the Windows firewall might be causing the error.
- The product and license numbers might be wrongly entered by the user.
- Using an outdated version of the QuickBooks software.
- Specific issues within the MSXML file can also lead to this error.
- Incorrect date and time on your PC can also instigate the registration error.
Take note of the following pointers before proceeding ahead
Before you start fixing QuickBooks Registration Error, there are several precautionary measures you should keep in mind:
- Make sure to type in the correct product and license keys.
- While you go through the registration process, make sure that you make an exit from all the other programs running in the background.
- Your Windows must display the correct date and time, if not, you must adjust the date and time settings.
- To activate QuickBooks, you must be logged in with a Windows admin account.
Read Also: What Causes the QuickBooks Error Code PS038?
Effective Solutions to Fix QuickBooks Registration Error
Here, we’ve listed a few efficient troubleshooting techniques that might assist you in removing the QuickBooks Registration Error as soon as possible:
Solution 1: Disable Antivirus temporarily while you register QuickBooks
You should consider temporarily turning off the antivirus program before registering the QuickBooks Desktop. This action will ensure that the security software is not tampering with the registration process.
- To start off, hover the mouse pointer over the bottom right corner of the taskbar and then right-click the Antivirus icon.
- After that, you need to choose the option for Turning off the Antivirus program temporarily till the next restart.
- Now, make an attempt to register the QuickBooks software.
- If the error still shows up, it is still recommended to keep the Antivirus disabled while you perform the subsequent troubleshooting methods.
Solution 2: Altering the settings within the Windows Firewall
It may be possible that the Firewall is disrupting the QuickBooks registration process, thereby evoking the registration error. As such, you should consider the option of configuring the Firewall settings. Follow the brief walkthrough below:
- The first step requires you to access the Windows Firewall. For that, you need to hit on the Windows Start menu and then type “Firewall”
- Now, double-click on the Windows Firewall icon within the Start menu.
- Having opened the Firewall Window, you need to head to the Advanced Settings tab.
- Thereafter, you are supposed to choose New Rule after right-clicking the Inbound Rules.
- Additionally, choose the Port option and then hit on Next.
- Make sure to place a checkmark beside the TCP option.
- Also, choose Allow Connections, and then hit on Next.
- Now, you need to input a new name for the rule. Once done with that, conclude the process by hitting on Finish.
- Now, try registering the QuickBooks software once again to check if the error got uprooted.
Solution 3: Assign Administrative Rights to the User Account
At times, the Registration Error may show up due to insufficient admin privileges. In this regard, you are supposed to grant the administrative right. You can do that by following the lead below:
- The first step requires you to hit on the Windows Start menu and then move on to the Control Panel from there.
- Within the Control Panel, you are supposed to navigate to the Accounts tab.
- Within the Accounts tab, head for the Family and Other Users option.
- Then, choose the user to whom you wish to grant administrative rights.
- The next step requires you to choose the Administrator option from the Account Type column by tapping on the Change Account Type.
- Opt for the Change Account Type option and then sign in to Windows once more.
- Herein, you need to Modify the Account Type.
- Having transferred the administrative rights to the user, restart the QuickBooks accounting program and then try registering once again. If the error persists, use the QuickBooks File Doctor tool in the Tool Hub (Solution 4)
Solution 4: Use the QuickBooks File Doctor to rectify the registration error
Occasionally, corrupt company files or some Network related issue might also cause a QuickBooks registration issue. You should use the QuickBooks File Doctor in such situations. Use the below-mentioned procedure to run the tool and fix the QuickBooks registration Error:
- You are initially supposed to Download the QuickBooks Tool Hub. It is pertinent to note that various features like the Quick Fix My program, QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool, and the File Doctor tool are all subsumed into the QuickBooks Tool Hub. So, to avail of these features, downloading the Tool Hub becomes indispensable.
- After downloading the Tool Hub, double-click on the downloaded file to install the tool on your computer.
- Launch the tool hub thereafter.
- Herein, you are supposed to move to the Company File issues, followed by heading to the Run QuickBooks File Doctor Tool option.
- Now, check for any network issues, and let the utility resolve any identified issues within the QuickBooks software.
- Finally, restart the QuickBooks software and try to register your accounting software once again.
Solution 5: Register MSXML Files
- To start off, you need to hit on the Window + R keys in order to show up the Run box.
- In the subsequent step, type in “cmd” in the Run window and then hit on the Enter key.
- The previous action will reveal the command prompt window on your screen.
- Having opened the Command prompt, you are supposed to type in “cd\ windows\ syswow64”, followed by hitting on the Enter key.
- Also, type in “regsvr32 MSXML4.dll” and then hit the Enter key.
- Thereafter, type “regsvr32 MSXML6.dll” and again hit the Enter key.
- Finally, try registering your QuickBooks Desktop software once again and examine whether the error shows up this time as well. If it does, then use the composite features of the Tools Hub, elaborated in the next troubleshooting solution.
Solution 6: From the Tool Hub, run the Quick Fix my Program
The Quick Fix My program feature within the Tool Hub can potentially resolve the registration Errors in QuickBooks Desktop software. To use the feature, you are required to follow the directions given below:
- In the beginning, it is required to download the QuickBooks Tool Hub from the Intuit website. You should’ve already downloaded the tool in the foregoing Solution 4.
- After downloading the Tool hub, install the same by double-tapping on the downloaded .exe file and following the on-screen instructions to download the software successfully.
- Thereafter, launch the QuickBooks Tool Hub and head for the Program Problems tab.
- Herein, you are supposed to proceed to the Quick Fix my Program tab and let the scan take its time to finish.
- When the process concludes, restart your QuickBooks Desktop and proceed to the registration process to check if no error shows up this time around.
You might also see: How to upload and manage receipts in QuickBooks Desktop?
Solution 7: Removing the Entitlement file can get rid of the Registration Error
The entitlement file is an essential file that contains necessary information related to the registration attempt, including the license and the product keys. It is recommended that you wipe off this File to reset all the previously entered information while registering/activating the QuickBooks Desktop software. Follow the instructions below:
- You are initially required to navigate to the folder/directory containing the Entitlement file. For that, you need to launch File Explorer. The same can be accessed via the Start menu or by pressing the Win + E keyboard keys.
- Once the Explorer window shows up, navigate to the following path:
- If the v8 folder is not available, then you should head to the following path:
- Once you have successfully navigated to the above-mentioned path, search for the EntitlementDataStore.ECML file in the v8/v6 folder.
- When located, you are supposed to right-click the File and then pick the Delete option.
- Another avenue that you can go for is to rename this File by adding “.old” towards the end of the filename. This action restricts the QuickBooks application from accessing the previous Entitlement file, and it creates a new one instead.
- Having deleted or renamed the Entitlement file, you need to restart your QuickBooks Desktop and try registering the software this time around. Hopefully, the error won’t show up this time around.
Solution 8: Correct system time and date
Take a look at the bottom right corner of your taskbar and check whether the system time and data have been correctly set. If not, you are supposed to rectify them because this may also be a cause behind the error.
- If the system date and time are incorrectly set, hit a right-click on time and hit on Adjust date/time.
- After that, choose the right time zone and also change the time and date.
- Having set them correctly, restart QuickBooks and register the product.
See it Also: How to Open QBW File Without Using QuickBooks?
Let us conclude!
The article entailed all the viable measures to get the QuickBooks registration error rectified from your system. If the error stands its ground even after implementing all the solutions earmarked within the purview of this article, then we suggest you reach out to our QuickBooks error support Team for timely assistance. Our team can be reached via the helpline at 1-800-615-2347 and is accessible 24/7.