A Complete Guide to Fix QuickBooks Statement Writer Errors:
The QuickBooks statement writer add-on is a holistic feature that has accentuated financial operations by aiding in the generation of Excel-based financial statements from QuickBooks. However, while using the tool, majority of QB users have been witnessing an error message related to the Statement Writer.
This error obstructs any attempts to modify the .qsw file. This current discussion shall thoroughly elucidate the conspicuous causes, associated signs and symptoms, and practical solutions for “QuickBooks statement writer errors” and “QSW Error: Office document customization is not available” error. Thus, keep read on!
What is QSW Error: Office Document Customization is not Available?
QuickBooks statement writer error prevents users from accessing and modifying the QSW file. A major cause of this error is an outdated QuickBooks version. An erroneous Windows configuration may also incite this snag. Other plausible causes of this error include difficulties in gaining QSSH authorization, technical errors with the .log file, and statement writer diagnostic issues.
How do I Recognize QuickBooks Statement Writer Errors?
An error message stating “Microsoft Office document customization is not available” is the most common sign of a QBSW Error. The document’s activity will disappear in Microsoft Excel as soon as the error message pops on the screen.
You might also see the following error message on your desktop screen:
|Unsupported Folder Location
|Office document customization is not available.
|The customization assembly could not be found or could not be loaded. You can still edit and save the document. Contact your administrator or the author of this document for further assistance.
You might also read: Fix your Beginning Balance in QuickBooks Desktop
Solutions for the QSW Error – Office Document Customization are not Available
Following are the quick methods in order to resolve the QSW Error – Office document customization are not available in QuickBooks desktop:
Method 1: Rename the Company File
Be sure that the length of your company’s file name is no more than 11 characters. Assuming that it is not:
- Determine how many characters are in the file containing information about your company (it will have the extension.qbw, such as (“mycompanyname.qbw”).
- If the filename has more than 11 characters, shorten it.
- Now open the Statement Writer.
Method 2: Use the Network Fix Tool to Fix Redirection
Be aware that to complete these actions; you will need to log in as an administrator on Windows.
- Start QSW if you receive a notification about an issue with Office Documentation Customization.
- Bring QSW to a close.
- Go to Reports > QuickBooks Statement Writer > Preferences and Formats.
- Make sure the reports and templates are pointing to a Network drive:
- The server path should get shown if the My Documents folder has been redirected. Providing My Documents is not being turned; users may provide whatever custom path they choose.
- If you see C and want to redirect My Documents to a different network drive, you may replace it with the path you determined in Step 1 (if My Documents is turned).
- If My Documents is already on your local machine, you don’t need to worry about changing its network location. If, for whatever reason, your My Documents folder is being moved to the H: disk, you may keep the choice as is, but you’ll need to organize your files consistently with the idea.
- Note: If you wish to access QSW over a network, you will need to manually create three additional folders on the network disk (from whatever route you choose to access QSW):
- Intuit will serve as the parent directory.
- Make a new folder called Statement Writer within the Intuit folder.
- Make a Templates folder within the Statement Writer folder.
- You may dismiss the Preferences dialog by selecting OK.
- To use the ISW Network Fix Tool, you must first download it and save it to your computer’s desktop in Windows.
- Please note that this file verifies whether or not the My Documents folder has been redirected and then, using the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 assemblies provides complete trust to the particular network location of the My Documents folder.
- Double-click the Primary file after downloading (you’ll need to unzip it to your desktop first), then go with the on-screen directions (if you are using Vista or 7, you may need to click Yes to the UAC prompts a few times). Note: Please place the tools from this zip file directly on your desktop rather than in a folder.
- Launch QSW after the tool is running to ensure it is functioning correctly.
Read also: How to Fix QuickBooks Unrecoverable Error?
Method 3: Launch the Second QSW Network Repair Program (Secondary)
The following has to be done for each user account that will be accessing the QSW.
- Launch the ISW Network Fix tool, and then launch the Secondary ISW Network Fix that was dumped into your desktop.
- When you think the error is fixed, please reopen QSW. If it doesn’t fix the error, go on to Method 4.
Method 4: Verify whether the directory or file name is being tampered
Step 1: Show file extensions in Windows
Applicable with Windows 10 and 8:
- To access Windows Explorer, just hit the Windows key and the letter E.
- To modify your folder and Search settings, go to View > Options.
- Go to the View menu.
- Remove the checkmark from the Hide extensions box for recognized file types in the Advanced Settings section.
- Do this: choose those above, and then click Apply > OK.
With Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008:
- Simply opening any folder will launch Windows Explorer.
- Select Folder and search options from the Organize menu.
- Open the View menu.
- Remove the tick from the box labeled “Hide extensions for recognized file types” in the “Advanced” section of the options menu.
- Please note that this selection must be selected if file name extensions are to be concealed.
- Proceed by clicking OK.
Step 2: Return the QSM file to its original name
- Find the file ending in qsm: C:\Users\Intuit\Statement Writer\Financial Statements\Report Template.qsm.
- Using Windows Explorer, go to the location of the QSM file.
- To rename the QSM file, just right-click on it.
- Type the new character and press Enter to change the file’s extension.
Step 3: Rename the file to its original form and open the statement
- To restore the original name of the QSM file’s location, rename the folder holding it.
- Using Windows Explorer, go to the folder where the QSM file is stored.
- Rename the QSM file’s location by right-clicking on it.
- To the folder’s name, add a Character.
- Put the folder back under its original name. See whether the statement will open by trying to open it.
Step 4: Rename (then revert) the names of the additional folders
The culminating step is to rename the additional folders in the directory. When that is done, check if the QSW Error has been successfully resolved.
Still getting QSW Error: Office Document Customization is not available problem? We’ve previously established that this is a typical error that an excessively lengthy company file name may bring on. If the steps above do not work, the QuickBooks Statement Writer might likely be flawed. The best course of action in such a predicament is to call our toll-free QuickBooks support phone number, i.e., 1(800) 615-2347, and speak with a representative of our technical support staff right away for assistance.