Convenient Ways to Resolve QuickBooks Unrecoverable Error Like a Pro
QuickBooks is a versatile bookkeeping and accounting software that helps small and mid-sized business owners do multi-tasking in a seamless manner. With the help of this robust software, business owners can perform most of the complex tasks, such as tracking expenses, managing cash flow, creating invoices, preparing for taxes, etc., with ease. Over the years, several features have been introduced in the software which will assist you in performing your accounting tasks easily without having to face any difficulty.
However, sometimes, you might face some unknown and undefined error with a code like “XXXXX-XXXXX” written on the dialog box. Such errors are termed as unrecoverable errors on QuickBooks desktop and can occur any time. There is no restriction or particular definition about when or how these errors will occur. So, preventing them is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.
The only thing one can do is to troubleshoot the general unrecoverable errors appearing on the QuickBooks desktop. However, before that, it will be better if you knew the circumstances where the unrecoverable error codes can pop up all of a sudden.
What does QuickBooks Unrecoverable Errors means?
Unrecoverable Errors XXXXX XXXXX are often found with QuickBooks desktop, and caused due to faulty installation of the software. This type of error can also be seen as a result of an update as well as data corruption, which needs immediate resolution for smooth working of the software.
Here, In this post we are going to discuss about the possible solutions steps of QuickBooks unrecoverable error. However, if you are looking for instant resolution of this error or you want to save your time and efforts please contact our QuickBooks support team. Before starting the solution understand the possible reasons behind the error occurring.
When does the QuickBooks Unrecoverable Error occur?
Unrecoverable Error XXXXX XXXXX can happen in a variety of circumstances, including but not limited to the following factors:
- At the time of creating or modifying a portable file type.
- Downloading any kind of updated file based on the payrolls.
- Sending the payroll files via Direct Deposit.
- While closing any sort of open tab or window in the Company File.
- At the time of create backups for any Company File or transaction details.
- Saving and updating any accounting transactions.
- Using certain in-built features of QuickBooks like Verify, Rebuild, Close, and so on.
- Recording transactions
- When creating a file backup
- Whenever a user tries to open a company file
- Shutting off any open windows in a company file
- Making use of the Open Previous Company function.
Common QuickBooks Unrecoverable Error Codes
The list is not inclusive and you might encounter a different error from the scenarios given.
|00000 14775||20888 41171||00000 15204|
|00227 55008||19758 63847||13730 84631|
|20103 33023||00551 46274||02457 79428|
|19062 00238||14070 43851||12565 30728|
|13824 75582||15563 13890|
Situations when QuickBooks unrecoverable error might occurs
You might see unrecoverable errors (XXXXX XXXXX) in the following situations:
- Unrecoverable error when opening a QuickBooks Desktop file on a workstation
- Unrecoverable errors when printing, emailing, or saving as PDF out of QuickBooks Desktop
- Target Chaining or Unrecoverable Error when running Rebuild utility
- Unrecoverable error when performing a bank reconciliation or viewing previous reconciliation reports
- QuickBooks Unrecoverable Error when importing Accountant’s Changes
- Unrecoverable error when writing checks with QuickBooks Online Bill Pay
Easy Steps to Fix the Unrecoverable Errors on QuickBooks Desktop
There are different ways in which you can fix the unrecoverable errors (XXXXX XXXXX) when it will appear on the QuickBooks Desktop. In this section, we have described the most efficient methods of troubleshooting this error which won’t cause any data loss or damage to the Company File and others.
Checkout the manual solution steps given below to fix this error:
Note: Before you attempt the provided solutions, make sure your QuickBooks is updated.
Solution 1: Identifying the total number of users who are getting affected
First, you need to identify the number of users who are getting affected by the unrecoverable errors having the same code. If several users are getting affected, you need to check the issue at the admin user level for which you will need the QuickBooks File Doctor software. But, if the issue is occurring for an individual user, it means that the credential has become corrupted or is damaged and you will have to recreate it.
- Head to the Company menu, from where you need to choose “Setup users” and then select on “Passwords”.
- Once done, hit on Add Users and then enter new login details with a username and a password. While doing so, always choose a new credential set to prevent further damage.
- You can Customize the username to make it more unique. Once done, tap on Next and then on Finish. Logout from the Desktop and again try to login with the new credentials.
Solution 2: Prevent QuickBooks from opening multiple Windows during Start-up
- Tap on the ALT key on your keyboard while double-clicking on the QuickBooks icon on the desktop.
- Let go of the ALT key when a window pops up for you to put in your Password.
- Type in the User password and hit the OK button.
- An application will open, push the Alt key again.
- Wait until the file is open and release the Alt key.
Solution 3: Save the form differently
- You can use Save and Close or Save and New tabs towards the bottom of the form in order to save the transactions.
- Make sure you don’t leave the cursor anywhere on a blank like on the form while saving that. The cursor shall always be on a line that has some items written.
- You should tap on To Be Printed prior to saving the transaction.
- Give Print commands from File and Print forms.
If the QuickBooks desktop unrecoverable error appears while giving print commands, making changes or editing your preferences, follow these steps:
- head to Edit Menu and hit on the Preferences option.
- Before you proceed to the Print check box, tap on Clear the Save transactions beneath the Company Preferences Tab.
- Hit on OK and save changes.
Solution 4: Suppressing the Desktop while using QuickBooks
For suppressing the Desktop during opening the QuickBooks, you need to follow these steps:
- Tap on the Ctrl key and hold it after which you need to double-click the QuickBooks program icon.
- You need to hold the key in the pressed position until the No Company Open window pops up.
If you want to suppress the Desktop at the time of opening a Company File, follow these steps:
- Choose the company file name from the No Company Open box and then hit on the Alt key and keep holding it.
- Subsequently, choose the Open option. If you are asked to enter the login credentials, you can release the Alt key and then enter the credentials.
Solution 5: Opening a sample of a company file
If you open a sample company file and face the unrecoverable error, it means that the particle file is corrupted and there is nothing wrong with QuickBooks account. So, to open the Company File sample, follow these steps:
- Hit on the option saying Open a Sample File present on the No Company Open Window and then choose the sample file you want to open. Save it somewhere in a folder.
- Move to the QuickBooks Desktop and create a new a folder with name Test. Once done, open the folder where you have saved the company file sample. Copy the file and then paste it in the blank folder present on your desktop.
- Try to open the file from the Test folder. If the sample file opens up, the Unrecoverable error is resolved and you can continue with your work.
Note: If you receive a prompt to initiate a restore/update operation, click ‘OK’. In case the sample file opens without any issue, it means the company file that was receiving the error may be corrupted or damaged.
Solution 6: Use Auto Data Recovery tool
Auto Data Recovery (ADR) is a tool in QuickBooks Desktop that automatically creates a backup copy of your company file. If your QBW file becomes corrupted or damaged, you can use the ADR tool to recover your data.
- The ADR folder is located in the same folder as your QuickBooks company file. By default, the folder is named “AutoRecovery.”
- There are two types of ADR files, .ADR and .QBW.adr. The .ADR file is a temporary file and the .QBW.adr file is a permanent file. Check the size of the .QBW.adr file, which should be larger than the .ADR file.
- Copy the .QBW.adr file to a new folder or location to ensure that you don’t overwrite any existing data.
- Change the file extension from .QBW.adr to .QBW.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop and then open the company file.
- Verify that the data in the company file is accurate and up-to-date.
Solution 7: Copy the company file to your desktop
There might be an issue with the location of the company file you are trying to open. That said, you can act upon the below-given steps to fix the location of your company file.
- Move to the folder in which your company file is stored and find the QBW file using the Locate option. Copy and Paste the file on Desktop.
- Launch QuickBooks by clicking the icon twice while keeping the Ctrl key pushing till the No Company Open message shows up on the screen.
- Hit on Open and browse to the company file you copied on Desktop.
- Finally, open the file.
Solution 8: Update QuickBooks Desktop
If none of the above-mentioned solutions work, that means there is some issue with your QuickBooks software or with the installation. You can perform the following steps to update your QuickBooks desktop to latest release version.
- Hit the Ctrl key and double-click on QuickBooks icon to open it.
- Head to the Help tab and Update QuickBooks.
- Tap on Update Now on the Update QuickBooks screen.
- Choose New Features and hit on Get Updates‘
- Exit QuickBooks after the update is complete.
Solution 9: Repair the QuickBooks desktop software
- Hit on the “Start” menu to access the Control panel.
- Then ho to the “Programs and Features” option.
- From the lengthy list of installed programs, look for the “QuickBooks” software.
- Once selected, hit on ‘Uninstall/change’ from the menu.
- Next, choose the “Repair” option.
- Wait for the end of the process.
- Restart your computer once you’re done, then open QuickBooks to see if the issue has disappeared.
Solution 10: Create New Windows Admin
The QuickBooks Desktop unrecoverable error (XXXXX XXXXX) can be fixed by crafting a new administrator user. Simply adhere to the instructions listed below. Different operating systems have different processes for creating administrators. As a result, make sure you follow the instructions provided under the O/S that is currently installed on your computer.
For Windows 10:
- Hit on the “Start” menu. After that, choose “Settings.”
- Then pick ‘’Accounts’’, then hit on “Family & Other Users.”
- Add a computer user under “Other Users.”
- Tap on the option “I don’t have this person’s sign-in details for a system.“
- Next, choose “Add another user” without first creating a Microsoft account.
- Change the account’s name next, and then hit on the “Finish” button.
- Finally, opt for an administrator and then hit on “OK.”
For Windows 8, 8.1, 7 & Vista Users:
- The first step is to access the ‘Run’ window. The ‘Run’ window can be opened by hitting the ‘Win + R’ keys simultaneously.
- Hit on the “Enter” key after typing “Control” in the “Run” box.
- Choose the option for “User Accounts.”
- Then opt for “Manage another Account.’’
- Choose the option labeled “Establish a new account.”
- Now, type a new account’s name.
- Finally, hit on the Administrator and then choose the “Create Account” button.
For Windows Server users:
It is important to note that a professional computer technician maintains the servers before moving on. Follow the steps listed below:
- Access the database server manager at startup.
- After that, opt for the “tools” menu and then the “Computer management” option.
- Thereafter, you must increase the local users & groups. After that, choose ‘group’ from the menu.
- Next, double-click the “Administrator group” to choose it.
- Hit on the “Administrator Properties” tab next.
- At this point, you must pick the “Add” option.
- After that, navigate to Users, computer systems, service accounts, and groups.
- At this time, enter the name of the account you wish to include in the local admin groups.
- In the end, tap on the “Ok” button.
Solution 11: Create a backup of your company file
Creating a backup of your company file is an important step to protect your financial data from loss or corruption.
- Initially, you need to open your QuickBooks and log in to your company file as an System Administrator.
- After next, go to the File menu and select Backup Company and then hit a click on Create Local Backup.
- In the window that appears, select Local Backup and hit a click on Next option.
- Now choose a location to save the backup file.
- Next, click on the Options button to set your backup preferences.
- Also, hit a click on the Next button to continue.
- Review the backup settings and click on the Save button.
- After following the above steps QuickBooks will start creating the backup file.
- Once the backup is complete, you can click on the Finish button to close the Backup Company window.
Solution 12: Move your file to a different folder
Moving your QuickBooks company file to a different folder is a simple process.
- Initially, you need to open QuickBooks and log in to your company file.
- Naviagte to the File menu and select Close Company/Logoff.
- After that go to the current location of your QuickBooks company file. The default location is [Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks folder.]
- Now hit a click on the file to select it and press Ctrl + C keys on your keyboard to copy it.
- Also, go to the new folder where you want to move the company file.
- Here you need to press Ctrl + V keys to paste the company file.
- And then open QuickBooks and go to the File menu and choose Open or Restore Company.
- Then, hit a click on Open a company file.
- In the next step, browse to the new location where you have moved the QuickBooks file and select it.
- In last step hit a click on the Open button to open the file.
Solution 13: Run Quick Fix my Program from the QuickBooks Tool Hub
Quick Fix my Program is a tool available in the QuickBooks Tool Hub that can help to fix common QuickBooks desktop issues. Here are the steps to run this option from the Tool Hub program:
- Download and install the QuickBooks Tool Hub from the Intuit website if you haven’t already done so.
- After that open the QuickBooks Tool Hub and click on the Program Problems tab.
- Also hit a click on Quick Fix my Program to run the tool.
- The tool will scan your QuickBooks installation for issues and try to fix them automatically.
- Once the tool has completed its scan and repair, restart QuickBooks and try to open your company file again.
In case the Quick Fix my Program doesn’t fix the issue for you, then you can try running the other tools that are available in the QuickBooks Tool Hub program.
In the above article, we have explained the circumstances during which the QuickBooks desktop unrecoverable error usually pop-up and prevent you from doing your general task. So, to solve the issue, we have explained a step-by-step troubleshooting guide that will definitely help you in resolving the issue and continue with whatever you were doing. Also, these troubleshooting steps will prevent any damage to the files or worse, permanent removal of any data.
However, if you want our technical support team to resolve the error on your behalf, then you can simply get in touch with our QuickBooks error support team. Our team will ensure to provide you with immediate technical assistance and also resolve the error on your behalf.
Other helpful resources: