Are your QuickBooks operations derailed due to the payroll update error 12031 and you are unable to decide what to do? Need not to worry, as this is a comprehensive guide that would cater you with the best possible solution steps to get rid of the QuickBooks error code 12031 with much ease, along with the factors triggering to this error. You are suggested to scroll through the segment with much concentration, so as to avoid any sort of further mess.
What is QuickBooks update error 12031?
This particular error can be seen by you when you try to update QuickBooks payroll service. You might bump upon QuickBooks error 12031 due to network timeout. This basically restricts the software from accessing the server. You will further encounter such an error, due to any firewall or security related bug. This is a pretty common error that could be tackled using some practical steps.
What instigates QuickBooks payroll error 12031?
There can be a handful of factors triggering QuickBooks Error code 12031, out of which the common ones are listed below:
- Often the internet connection issue might trigger this error. When the internet works on alternate connections and it stops proper software working.
- If the server is taking a bit too long to respond, then such an error can be seen.
- Furthermore, just in case the internet explorer isn’t the default browser, then it might restrict the software functioning.
- If several times the internet or firewall security settings are blocking the connection or pages needed for the software to download an update.
You may read also: Fix Company File and Network Errors with QuickBooks File Doctor
Methods to Resolve the QuickBooks Error 12031 Successfully
You can implement the below procedures, so as to rectify of the QuickBooks error code 12031 successfully:
Method 1: Configure your Internet Settings
- Start off with closing QuickBooks software.
- Make sure to click on Internet browser.
- Hit a click on Tools and Internet options.
- Choose Security tab and also click on Globe icon.
- Hit a click on Content tab.
- Press the Content advisor button, in case it says disable, then enter the password and disable the Content advisor.
- Further, click on Connections tab:
- Choose Never dial a connection option, in case you do not use the dial up node.
- Else use the Dial up node and make sure that you have entered the correct ISP.
- Hit OK tab.
- Press LAN settings tab.
- Make sure that Automatically detect settings option is checked.
- You need to Verify use a proxy server checkbox is cleared.
- Use the Proxy server and document the complete address and port.
- In case the port is other than port 80, avoid unchecking use a proxy tab. And use the proxy box for testing purposes. In case the port is Port 80, then you can simply uncheck.
- Now, select OK on the LAN settings.
- Choose the Advanced tab
- Click on the Restore advanced settings.
- Now in the Settings tab, scroll to find use TLS 1.0, USE TLS 1.1 and Use QuickBooks TLS 1.2 options.
- Make sure that USE TLS 1.0 is checked and USE TLS 1.2 s not.
- You further need to click on OK tab and close the Internet options window.
- And close Internet explorer and reboot the system.
- You then need to open QuickBooks and try to update QuickBooks desktop again and check if the issue is rectified.
Method 2: Inspect your Internet Connection and try to update QuickBooks Desktop
- In this particular method, you need to click on Help tab.
- And further click on Internet Connections setup.
- You are then required to click on Option stating Use my computer’s internet connection settings to create a connection when the app accesses the internet.
- Further, click on Next tab.
You then require to update again:
- You need to select Help, and click on update QuickBooks desktop. In QuickBooks 2008 and later versions, you need to select Update now tab.
- If you are using 2006 and earlier version, choose File, update, QuickBooks, and Update now tab respectively.
Method 3: Check the Advanced settings in the Internet properties
- Under this method, you would have to open the menu for Internet connection setup available in QuickBooks.
- And further click on Internet properties.
- You can see several tabs in the Internet properties.
- From the available selections, click on Advanced tab.
- Ensure that the Advanced setting matches.
- And click on Apply tab.
- Moreover, click on Save tab.
- At last, close QuickBooks and open it again and also try the payroll updates process again.
Method 4: Use the safe mode to update Quickbooks
- This method requires you to click on Strong and update now tab and select Strong tab.
- You are then required to select Reset updates checkbox and click on Get updates tab.
If the program update doesn’t work, then you would have to perform the following steps:
- You will have to check the Internet connection.
- Now, you would have to start Microsoft Windows in the safe mode and download it again.
- To start using the system in the safe mode, follow the steps below:
- Restart your system and tap on the F8 keys repeatedly. This shall take you to the Advanced Boot Options.
- Afterward, use the arrow keys to choose the Safe mode with Networking option. Follow it up by hitting the OK button.
- When the system starts up, try updating your system once again.
Method 5: Make changes to the firewall settings
- To start the process, head to the Start menu.
- Then, in the Search field, type in “Firewall“.
- From the list of results, double-click on the Windows Firewall.
- Now, you need to opt for ‘Allow a program or feature over Windows Firewall.’
- In the following window, hit on Change Settings.
- After that, mark the checkbox to allow the software. Depending on whether the network is private or public, the same can be done.
- Upgrade QuickBooks and see whether the error still exists.
Method 6: Use the selective startup to Uninstall & reinstall QuickBooks software
Step 1: Use the Selective startup mode option
if none of the previously mentioned methods work out to solve the error 12031, you should consider uninstalling and re-installing the software in the selective startup mode. the directions to be followed are as follows:
- To accomplish this method, tap the Win + R keys simultaneously. This action shall let the Run window pop up on the screen.
- Within this window, type in ‘Msconfig‘ and hit the Enter key.
- A window titled System Configuration will show up.
- Within this window, choose the General tab.
- Go for the Selective Startup option and deactivate the Load startup items checkbox.
- Then, hit on OK.
- Start your computer up once more.
- Once the above steps are followed properly, you now need to uninstall the QuickBooks software. Continue as follows:
- Open the Control Panel from the Start menu.
- Then pick Programs and Features.
- Find ”QuickBooks” in the lengthy list of installed programs. When located, hit a click on it.
- Choose Uninstall/Change
- After that, choose the Uninstall option.
- Hit on Finish to uninstall the software.
- After QuickBooks Desktop has been successfully removed, move to the downloads folder and search for the QuickBooks installation file (with the “.exe” extension).
- Double-click the file to install the QuickBooks program again.
- The Install Wizard shall start installing the software, where you must choose the suggested options.
- To finish the installation, adhere to all of the on-screen directions.
- In the end, hit on Finish.
- Launch QuickBooks and attempt an update right away. The Error should be fixed. If that is the case, then attempt switching to the Normal Startup mode.
Step 2: Revert back to the Normal Startup mode
- You need to tap the Win + R keys to bring up the Run window.
- In the Run window, type “Msconfig” tab.
- Hit on the Enter key. and then choose the Normal Startup as your startup type.
- Subsequently, hit on Apply and hit a click on OK tab.
- Restart your computer system.
Read Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 15221?
The bottom line
That was all you need to know about fixing the QuickBooks error 12031. As always, for further queries, please connect with our QuickBooks error support that is readily available to resolve all your QuickBooks and other accounting-related issues in no time.
So, without wasting another second, call our experts and get your doubts, queries, and technical difficulties resolved.