Get the latest methods to fix Error 1321: The installer has insufficient privileges to modify the file:
QuickBooks is an advanced accounting software that is a favorite for small and mid-sized business owners all around the world. The best part is that it’s developers keep introducing new updates to make it easy to use and error-free. However, we all understand, no software can be completely free from errors. In this blog post, we are going to discuss about QuickBooks Error Code 1321 that appears when you attempt to install or update your company file. While you are installing or updating your software, you might get error code 1321, followed by one of these messages:
- The installer has insufficient privileges to modify the file C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\sdkeventl.DLL
- The installer has insufficient privileges to modify the file C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\CfScan.DLL
- The installer has insufficient privileges to modify the file at C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks YEAR\QBONLI32.DLL
- The installer has insufficient privileges to modify the file 
- The installer has insufficient privileges to modify the file C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks Point of Sale X.0\dataimporter.exe
Note: The actual .dll file name will vary in the error. If you choose the Retry option, you may see more than one error messages and the installation or update process may fail.
How to identify QuickBooks installer error 1321?
It’s simple to identify this error. When it happens, you receive an error message on your computer screen that may read, “System doesn’t have sufficient privileges to modify this file.” One or more of the following reasons may trigger this issue:
- The speed of copying the file is slower than the speed of file update.
- Your antivirus or other security software is blocking QuickBooks.
- The folder that has your company file stored has windows restrictions.
- The QuickBooks file is either in use or is damaged.
What triggers to the QuickBooks error code 1321?
You can bump into such an error due to the following factors:
- Just in case the file copying process is slower than the update process.
- You can also bump into the following error if there is any sort of antivirus or firewall, blocking the software.
- Another reason can be if the file update process is faster than the file copy process.
- You can land into such an error if the windows permission for the folder containing the file has been restricted.
Read also: Tips to Reconcile Accounts in QuickBooks
Steps to settle QuickBooks error 1321 (The Installer has Insufficient Privileges to Modify the File)
You should have to follow these technical methods in order to resolve the QuickBooks error code 1321. Check out these technical solution methods:
Solution 1: Install and run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool on your computer
- Firstly you have to download and install the “QuickBooks Install diagnostic tool” on your PC.
- After that hit a click on “Run” button to execute it.
- Hit a click on “Scan now” button now.
- The “QBinstall tool” will automatically detect the problem and try to diagnose it.
Solution 2: If the speed of copying the file is slower than the speed of file update
- Click “Retry” to allow the update to complete.
- If the update fails then click “Cancel” the error message.
Solution 3: Turn off the Antivirus and try to update the file
- You have to manually disable your antivirus program or system security programs.
- Now try to update your QuickBooks company file.
Solution 4: Create a new user account with administrative privileges
- Click on the “Start” button on the screen or press the “Start” key on your keyboard.
- Go to “Control Panel” and choose “Users/Accounts“.
- Then select “New User.”
- Provide a name for the account and set it as an administrator.
- Now hit a click on “Create account” to create a new one.
- Log out of the current account and log in to the new account.
Solution 5: Update the user privileges to modify your file
- The error message box will exhibit the error generated during the update installation process. In the given example, “AcrobatConnect.cfg” produced the error message.
- Error 1321: The Installer has insufficient privileges to modify the file. C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerTrust\AcrobatConnect.cfg. Action ended xx:xx:xx: Install Validate.
- Now you can set the privileges for the folder stated in the error message, for example, “\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerTrust\AcrobatConnect.cfg“
Changing permissions in Windows XP Professional
Before you begin, check out hidden files in the computer and ensure that simple file sharing is disabled. Check Display hidden files and folders, and simple file sharing on the support website of Microsoft.
- In Windows Explorer, go to the parent folder listed in QuickBooks error 1321 message in your log file.
- For Example, in the path “c:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerTrust\AcrobatConnect.cfg” the parent folder is always “FlashPlayerTrust“. In the error message that you received, the parent folder could be different.
- Right-click on the parent folder and select “Properties” tab.
- Open the “Properties” window and click on “Security tab” .
- Select “Administrators” in Group Or User Names.
Changing permissions in Windows XP Home
- Restart your computer.
- Press the “F8 key” on your keyboard as soon as the “Windows logo” appears. Using the down arrows key and select “Safe Mode” with Networking and hit “Enter” key.
- Follow the instructions provided in “Update user privileges” in Windows XP Professional.
- Restart the computer again before reinstalling your software and tools.
- Select “System in Group” or “User Names“.
- In Permissions for System field, Full Control should be allowed.
- While in the “Security tab“, click on “Advanced“.
- Once in the “Advanced Security Settings” window, verify you are on the “Permissions” tab.
- Select “Replace Permission Entries on All Child Objects with Entries Shown Here That Apply to Child Objects” and then select “OK” button.
- Click “OK” and close the “Properties” window.
- Install/Update your QuickBooks file again.
Changing permissions for Windows 7, 8 and 10 (32 bit and 64- bit version)
For 32-bit version
- In order to open the “Run Box“, the user is required to press “Windows + R key“.
- And then, enter the “Location or Path” for the folder that contains QB program files in the open field. After which the user is required to press the “Enter key“.
For Desktop Enterprise:
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\Enterprise Solutions 20.0
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\Enterprise Solutions 19.0
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\Enterprise Solutions 18.0
For Pro and Premier:
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 2020
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 2019
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 2018
Point of Sale:
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks Point of Sale 12.0
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks Point of Sale 11.0
For Desktop Enterprise:
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\Enterprise Solutions 20.0
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\Enterprise Solutions 19.0
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\Enterprise Solutions 18.0
For Pro and Premier:
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks 2020
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks 2019
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks 2018
Point of Sale
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks Point of Sale 12.0
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks Point of Sale 11.0
- Next step in the process is to select “View” and then customize the folder in the new window.
- After that, move to the “Security tab” on the properties window.
- Followed by, clicking on “Administrations” that is located on the properties window.
- The next step is to select “Allow” that is right next to the “Full Control“.
- Moving ahead, you need to move to the “Security tab” and then opt for “System User“.
- Now you need to click on “Allow” again.
- And then, hit a click on “OK“, in order to close the properties window.
- Last step is to perform a clean install of QuickBooks desktop.
Solution 6: Retrying update
- You need to click on retry tab if you face issue when updating and complete the update process.
- Furthermore, you need to click on ignore/cancel icon and click on options tab.
- Heading forward, you should disable or turn off the antivirus for a temporary basis.
- End the process by installing QuickBooks again properly.
We hope that by the time you reach this part of the blog post, you’re able to resolve the QuickBooks install error 1321. In case the same issue persists, you can contact our certified 24/7 QuickBooks support team for quick and precise solutions.
Other helpful posts: