Learn easy ways to solve QuickBooks error 15106: The update program cannot be opened:
QuickBooks has evolved as the leading software for accounting and bookkeeping for all types of business owners. This software is introduced by Intuit to meet the requirements of business enterprises in matters of accounts. Intuit is serving the best services to the people for many years and is proving itself. Being software, it sometimes encounters some issues either technically or in the access.
Most of the frequent (15XXX) plethora of issues that impact QuickBooks is “QuickBooks update error 15106“. The upgraded function is mainly affected by this error, and whenever a user attempts to upgrade QuickBooks or payment, they see the following text:
|Problem||Error 15106: Your update software is corrupted, either Error 15106: The update application can even be launched.|
Payroll system update problems, unlike many other (15XXX) serial problems, are caused by the lack of administrator privileges and security limitations mostly on the QuickBooks task scheduler. The Microsoft Installer is a software program that assists in installing and uninstalling programs and upgrades on the Windows operating system. Under certain untoward circumstances, when the installation becomes corrupted or faulty, certain apps begin to generate errors throughout the installation phase. The same issue occurs while using QuickBooks whenever the Microsoft Installer becomes corrupted or faulty, as such, resulting in the QuickBooks error code 15106. The error shows up whenever the QuickBooks user attempts to download or upgrade the payment.
Therefore, whether people have run into QuickBooks Payroll Error 15106, they will have to follow all necessary measures to fix the installation and uninstall any third-party programs that are forcing it to malfunction. Let us first get a rudimentary overview of the error code, following which, we shall dive into the causative factors and the fixes for this error.
Read it also: How to fix QuickBooks Desktop Install Errors?
What is QuickBooks Error Code 15106?
The QuickBooks software has always amazed its users with its extraordinary and unprecedented features. But, users sometimes face specific errors during their access to this software and one of them is the error code 15106. This error code usually arises when there is a specific issue with the update program. Sometimes, When you try to update the payroll, then the QuickBooks Update Error 15106 can occur. When this error occurs, you get a message on your screen stating the following line:
|Error 15106:||The update program damaged or the update program cannot be opened|
|Error 15106:||The update program is damaged|
What Leads to Error 15106 in QuickBooks?
There seem to be a variety of reasons why issues occur with upgrading payments or downloading QuickBooks upgrades. For example, QuickBooks desktop error 15106 occurs whenever the QuickBooks installer’s program becomes corrupted, or the user may not have the necessary permissions to complete the Upgrade on the PC. Therefore, all of the possible causes of Payroll Update Error 15106 are given here.
- QuickBooks refuses to download all of the extra tools needed to upgrade the software and paychecks afterward.
- Users may have Webroot virus protection loaded on the machine, identifying QuickBooks installation as a possible danger and preventing it from running on Windows.
- QuickBooks Update Error 15106 may also occur when a user profile does not have Microsoft management permissions.
- When Spy Sweeper is present in the Webroot anti-virus software.
- Users might not have logged in with the username having admin level rights.
- The Windows User Account Control options are configured to moderate, and this causes the QuickBooks upgrade to fail.
- Security or anti-malware software from a third party blocking the QuickBooks latest versions i.e. QuickBooks desktop 2022.
Steps to Resolve QuickBooks Update Error 15106
Let us now check out the apt solutions in order to resolve the QuickBooks error code 15106. Since there are several reasons behind the error code, consequently, the error may be fixed by any of the below-mentioned solutions. So, make sure to perform each solution till the end in a proper sequence.
Solution 1: Register to the PC as an admin
- Tap Control Panel from the Menu bar, or hit (Windows + R), type ‘Control Panel’ into the Run window, and push the Enter key.
- Hit on the User Profile after choosing User Accounts and Family Safety.
- Opt for Control other profile, then, and if prompted, input the administrator password.
- The profile category is displayed properly below the username. When the profile becomes an administrator account, head to the next troubleshooting solution.
Solution 2: Perform a clean install in Selective Startup
- Click on the Start menu and type “MSConfig,” followed by hitting the “Enter” key.
- Now, you need to visit the “General” tab.
- Within this tab, choose Selective Startup and Load System Services.
- Here, ensure to “Hide all Microsoft Services” after clicking on the “Services” tab.
- Opt for “Disable All.”
- Afterward, you need to remove the check mark beside the “Hide all Microsoft Services.”
- You should then save these changes by clicking on “Ok.”
- After restarting the system, the Selective startup mode is now operational. You now need to visit the Control Panel and then enter the “Programs and Features” tab.
- Make a choice for “QuickBooks Desktop” and hit on the “Uninstall/Change” option.
- Hit on “Uninstall” to get QuickBooks removed from your system.
- Then restart your computer.
- Now, you should reinstall QuickBooks Desktop using your product and license keys.
Click here to perform a clean installation of the QuickBooks desktop.
Solution 3: Restart QuickBooks desktop update
- Launch the QuickBooks software and advance to the Help tab, then opt for Update QuickBooks.
- Head to the Settings panel and choose Mark all.
- Hit on Save, then advance to the Update Next page.
- Make a checkmark. Choose Receive Upgrades after resetting the Update next option.
- If you continue to receive Error 15106 when updating payroll, implement the following solution.
Solution 4: Restore the QuickBooks Desktop
- in the beginning, hit the [Windows + R keys], then input “appwiz.cpl” and then hit the ‘Enter‘ key.
- In the Uninstall or Change a Program box, scroll to the bottom and double-press QuickBooks from the menu of downloaded software.
- Hit Next after opting for Change / Remove.
- Pick the Repair option from the drop-down menu and tap Next.
- Thereafter, hit on Repair to resolve Error 15106.
- If the error notification ‘File in Use’ appears, choose Ignore and proceed only with Repair.
- Afterward, reboot your pc and launch the QuickBooks program.
- Whenever users receive the QuickBooks that have recently installed an upgrade box, hit on the Install Now option.
Solution 5: Uninstall Webroot Spyware Sweeper
- Advance to the Control Panel from the Start menu on the client’s computer.
- Choose the Add/Remove Programs from the drop-down menu.
- From the menu, double-click “WebRoot,” then opt for Uninstall/Remove.
- Hit Next after choosing Uninstall.
- To entirely uninstall the program via Windows, follow the on-screen directions.
- Open your web browser and attempt again to Download QuickBooks updates.
- When the issue gets resolved after uninstalling Webroot, restore it after the Upgrade.
Solution 6: Turn Off User Account Control (UAC)
- First of all, hit the Windows + R keys to launch the Run window.
- After that, type ‘Control Panel’ and hit the Enter key.
- Now, choose the User Accounts and then opt for User Accounts (Classic View).
- Opt for changing User account control settings. If you are prompted by UAC, opt for Yes to proceed ahead.
- Move to the slider.
- You need to set it to Never Notify and choose OK to turn UAC OFF
- You need to set it to Always Notify and choose OK to turn UAC ON ( Note: if prompted by UAC, select Yes to continue.)
- Finally, reboot the computer.
You may see: How to Troubleshoot QuickBooks Error 41?
Solution 7: Login as System Administrator
- Open C Drive from my computer.
- Then, open C :\ Program Files\ Common Files \ Intuit\QuickBooksxx\Components
- Navigate the folder named ‘downloadqb’ and rename it to ‘download.old.’
This will definitely solve the issue but, if you still face this error then you can try the other solution given below.
Solution 8: Uninstall your antivirus software
under certain instances, the antivirus software obstructs the normal functioning of the QuickBooks software, thereby, provoking the error code 15106 in your system. If none of the above-mentioned solutions work in your favor, you should remove the antivirus software from your computer. To do that, follow the lead:
- In the Search field of the Start menu, type ‘Control.’
- To access the Control Panel, double-click on the Control Panel and hit Enter tab.
- After picking Programs, advance to the Programs and Features.
- Choose your antivirus program from the list.
- Opt for the Uninstall/Change button.
- Choose Uninstall and wait for the procedure to finish.
- Open QB Desktop once more.
Solution 9: Rename the folder & disable your antivirus
- The first step is to terminate all your antivirus-related processes. For that, head to the Task Manager by holding the “Ctrl + Shift + Esc” keys.
- Once the task manager window opens, the “Processes” tab needs to be chosen.
- Herein, choose the process(es) related to your antivirus.
- After clicking it, hit on the “End Task” option.
- Once the antivirus processes are terminated, the next step is to rename the folders associated with the QuickBooks update. For this, you should initially open the file explorer.
- Head to Drive C, followed by moving to the Program files. Within Program Files, look for intuit folder and then head to the folder named QuickBooks.
- Herein, you are supposed to search for the QB file and change its name by right-clicking and choosing Rename. All you need to do is add a .old extension at the end of the filename.
- After all the above-mentioned steps have been complied, open QuickBooks once again and attempt to update your accounting software once again to check if, this time around, the error vanished.
That concludes the article. This piece of writing entailed all the possible QuickBooks error code 15106 remedies. When the following procedures fail to wipe out this error from QuickBooks software, you can contact our QuickBooks error support number i.e., 1-800-615-2347 for more help.
To thoroughly remove common QuickBooks errors from the system, experts may have to establish a remote connection with the user. Thanks for spending your valuable time reading this article. We hope that at the end of this article, you might be able to get rid of the issue.