Here are the most common reasons and solutions for QuickBooks Error H505:
Small and mid-sized businesses all around the globe have established a firm reliance on QuickBooks for its user-friendliness and multitasking features. It is robust accounting software that more than one user can use simultaneously (depending on the version you buy) and from remote locations. However, the software does receive some errors occasionally.
Mostly, the issues can be fixed using the prompts offered by the software. And sometimes, they may require some troubleshooting by users or an expert. One such error confronted by QuickBooks users is the ‘QuickBooks error code H505′.
A Brief About The QuickBooks Error Code H505 and Reasons for Its Occurrence
One common issue that we are going to discuss in this article is QuickBooks Error Message H505. This issue occurs with a multi-user hosting setup. You may face it when attempting to access your QuickBooks file on a different computer that has specific issues with the installation setup. When a user tries to open a company file on a computer from a different computer this error appears on the computer screen.
You may get the following image if QuickBooks error code H505 occurs on your software:
Important: This error code belongs to a series of errors that involve the hosting setting such as QuickBooks Error Codes H101, H202, H505, etc. All these errors occur due to the same issue – a user trying to open the company file in multi-user mode or a system that has an incomplete installation set-up of the QuickBooks software.
Plausible Reasons Behind the QuickBooks Error Code H505
Some of the possible causes of this error code are as follows:
- The QuickBooks file you are trying to access is located on some other computer.
- QuickBooks installed and available in the system server name is set-up to consent to all the shared connections to the company file, however, the QuickBooks accounting software is failing to communicate resulting in error H202.
- When you try to open your company file stored on another computer that involves additional installation and setup for an appropriate approach resulting in Error Codes H101, H303, and H505.
- Your system’s firewall or antivirus is blocking access to the computer where the company file is stored.
- .ND Network file may be damaged.
- The required hosting configuration setting is not appropriate.
- QuickBooks failed to acquire the Internet Protocol (IP) address of the system where the company file is stored.
Symptoms of QuickBooks Error Code H505
- The QuickBooks error code H505 can be identified easily if the multi-user mode is not accessible.
- If you fail to access the QuickBooks company file stored on the server.
- In case the QuickBooks program window gets crashed, you might encounter such an issue.
- Another indication of the same can be when the QuickBooks error code H505 flashes on the screen.
- If the system or laptop crashes frequently, then it is a symptom of Error code H505.
- Windows might become unresponsive and freeze periodically or software freezes.
You’ll also read: How to Fix your Beginning Balance in QuickBooks Desktop?
Solutions to Troubleshoot the QuickBooks Multi-User Error H505
We are now into the section containing viable solutions for resolving the QuickBooks error H505. Try these solution steps in order to resolve this problem
1st Solution: Modify your System’s Firewall Settings
- Initially, hit on the Windows key on the keyboard and proceed to Control Panel.
- Within the Control Panel. head to the Firewall Settings.
- After that, choose the Allow a Program through your system’s Firewall.
- Hit on Add Program and include QuickBooks 20xx to the exception list.
- Restart your computer to save the changes.
Add the following ports according to the version of your QuickBooks software:
- QuickBooks Desktop 2015: 8019, 56725, 55363-55367
- QuickBooks Desktop 2016: 8019, 56726, 55368-55372
- QuickBooks Desktop 2017: 8019, 56727, 55373-55377
- QuickBooks Desktop 2018: 8019, 56728, 55378-55382
- QuickBooks Desktop 2019: 8091, XXXXX, XXXXX-XXXXX
- QuickBooks Desktop 2020: 8091, XXXXX, XXXXX-XXXXX
- QuickBooks Desktop 2021: 8091, XXXXX, XXXXX-XXXXX
- QuickBooks Desktop 2022: 8091, XXXXX, XXXXX-XXXXX
2nd Solution: Assess QuickBooks Hosting Settings
- In the beginning, launch QuickBooks on both the systems configured as multi-user.
- Hit on File and opt for the Utilities.
- Discontinue Hosting Multi-User Configuration.
- Turn on Hosting through File in one system and then hit on the Utilities option.
- Now, Host Multi-User Configuration.
- Restart QuickBooks software on both the QuickBooks.
3rd Solution: Make Changes to the Setting of Your QuickBooks Folder Location
- Make a New Folder on the hosting system.
- Share the folder.
- Set/change Windows access permissions to share company files (contact an IT professional if you are not able to access the QB file server).
- Now copy the .qbw file and paste it to the new folder.
- Finally, open your company file in multi-user mode.
4th Solution: Leverage From the QuickBooks File Doctor tool
- Firstly, download and Install the QuickBooks file doctor tool to repair the damaged company files.
- Hit on the Run button to execute the file doctor tool.
- This tool will take up to 20 mins time to scan and detect the problem.
Read also: Steps to solve QuickBooks error 6123
5th Solution: Configure the Firewall Ports Settings
- You need to open the run box by hitting on the Win + R keys.
- Use the run command to open the Control panel. For this, type in ‘Control Panel’ and hit on the Enter key.
- Now, choose the System and security option, and following that, open the Windows firewall and network protection.
- You now have to hit on the Advanced settings tab and also choose the Inbound rule.
- Choose a New rule and then opt for a Port and hit on the Next tab.
- Opt for the correct TCP option.
- Enter the port of the QuickBooks year version.
- After the year code has been entered in the respective field, hit on the Next tab and reboot QuickBooks.
6th Solution: Edit the Host File
Step 1: Finding the IP address and system name of the server and workstation
- At the first, hit the Windows + R keys to pop up the Run box.
- Type in ‘Cmd‘ and enter key,
- Open the Command prompt window.
- Type in ‘Ipconfig/all’ and hit on the Enter tab to run the command.
- Find the hostname in the Windows IP configuration section.
- Now, provide the hostname and IP address.
- Repeat the process for all systems with the multi-user setup.
- Move back to the workstation to test the server.
- Move to the Windows start menu.
- Type ‘Run‘ into the search bar and open the Run command.
- Now type in ‘CMD’ into the run window and hit the Enter key.
- Type ‘Ping’ and then hit the Enter tab.
Step 2: Edit the Windows Hosts File
- Shut down the QuickBooks software and move to the start -menu.
- Now move to the PC option and head to the address:
- If you are not able to find the Windows folder, then perform the steps to unhide the folders.
- Hit on the View tab and then choose hidden items.
- Now, right-click the View tab.
- Click on the open with option and open with notepad.
- Fill in the IP address and system name.
- Save the changes and then reopen the QuickBooks software in multi-user mode.
7th Solution: Run the QuickBooks Database Server Manager on Your Server
Step 1: Download and Install the QuickBooks Tools Hub on your Server
- Firstly, close the QuickBooks software.
- After that, download the most recent version (22.214.171.124) of the QuickBooks Tool Hub and save the file on your system.
- Open QuickBooksToolHub.exe file
- Follow the on-screen steps to Install and agree to the terms and conditions.
- Now double-click on the icon to open the tool hub.
Step 2: Run the QuickBooks Database Server Manager on your Server
- Open the tools hub program and choose Network Issues.
- After that choose QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Inside the QuickBooks Database Server Manager, choose Start Scan if you see your company file folder(s). If you don’t, Browse to the location of your company file and then select Start Scan.
- The database server Manager will repair your firewall permissions automatically. Once the scan finishes, hit on Close.
- Open QuickBooks on each workstation where you see Error H202. Pick the File option and Switch to Multi-user Mode. If you use your server computer as a workstation, be sure to check it too.
In case your workstations can go into multi-user mode without any issues, everything is fixed.
The above-mentioned solutions shall enable you to fix QuickBooks multi-user error H505 and resume working. However, on the off chance that the issue persists, you can contact us and speak to our QuickBooks enterprise support experts via our helpline 1-800-615-2347. We’ll be happy to help you in every possible way. So, what is the wait for? Just ring us on our helpline and get your queries resolved.
You may also like: