A simple guide to fix QuickBooks Error H101, H202, H303 or H505 on your own:
QuickBooks is a popular accounting software widely used by small and mid-sized businesses and individuals. It helps business owners to meet their business goals by managing their business adeptly and allowing them to focus on other non-accounting tasks. But sometimes this robust software receives errors that may be annoying and time taking. In this blog post, we are going to educate you on QuickBooks Error Codes H101, H202, H303, or H505. The errors are also called H series errors that generally appear when you try to open QuickBooks company files that may be stored on a different computer.
These are common errors, especially QuickBooks Error code H202 and Error code H505, and can be fixed by following some simple troubleshooting steps. But before we move on to the solution part, it’s imperative to understand about these errors and the reason behind to this error. For more details and solutions for these error codes, you can simply get in touch with our QuickBooks support team. We own a team of experts and certified professionals who leave no stone un-turned to provide the best possible support services.
You might also like; Resolve the Balance sheet Out of Balance error in QuickBooks
An overview of QuickBooks Error H101, H202, H303 and H505
H Series Error Codes like (H101, H202, H303, or H505) are extremely most common errors that occurs in multi-user environments. These errors may occur while attempting to transfer a company file from one computer to another computer. During the process, you may be obstructed by this error. To fix these type of errors, we recommend you to run the QuickBooks file doctor tool which is designed to deal with these type of errors. The another reason for occurring these errors might be you don’t have QuickBooks desktop installed on your server along with the QuickBooks database server manager. We also recommend you to add it on your server to get rid of from these errors..
Conspicuous Causes Behind QuickBooks Error H101, H202, H303 and H505
There may be numerous reasons that may trigger these errors. When you try to open a QuickBooks company file in multi-user mode, you may receive the following errors-
QuickBooks Error Code H202:
When Error code H202 occurs you may see the following image on your desktop screen:
- You’re trying to access a QuickBooks company file stored in another computer and this QuickBooks replica can’t reach the server on that computer.
- Your QuickBooks accounting software may not be able to communicate with the server and causing this error.
QuickBooks Error Code H505, H101 & H303
- You’re trying to open a company file stored on a different computer and the other computer requires extra installation and setup.
One or more of the following causes may trigger H series error-
- QuickBooks file hosting configuration/setting is wrong.
- QuickBooks communication blocked by system firewall.
- QB workstation can’t ping the Host computer, i.e., IP address is not reachable.
- Database server manager is conflicting with DNS Server.
- Some QuickBooks Services or components damaged.
- Multiple Database Server Manager versions that are running may be clashing.
- QuickBooks Error Code H202 port is unavailable.
Important points to consider before proceeding with the troubleshooting
Essential pointers to consider before you head further:
- Ascertain that QuickBooks is installed on the server system.
- QuickBooks needs to be installed on the server before you initiate.
- It is installed with or without a license.
- In case QuickBooks application isn’t installed on the server, then you will be unable to use or access the multi-user environment.
- Download the QuickBooks software from official Intuit’s website.
Read Also: How to resolve QuickBooks error 6175?
Steps to Fix QuickBooks H Series Error (H101, H202, H303 and H505)
The solutions to H series errors in QuickBooks accounting software are different depending on the cause of the error. The troubleshooting is, however, pretty much similar in most of the cases. You need to check out this infographic to see quick steps to resolve the issue. However, the step-by-step walkthrough will assist you.
1st Solution: Use QuickBooks File Doctor tool to fix QuickBooks error h101 h202 h303 or h505
If you already have an updated version of QuickBooks File Doctor tool, you can use it or install and run the repair tool to fix H series errors and other multi-user errors. If the error persists, try the next solution.
2nd Solution: Verify hosting and services
- Launch QuickBooks, head to ‘File‘, and opt for ‘Utilities‘ (do this on all hosting computers).
- Systems showing ‘Host Multi-User Access‘ on the list are not hosting the file. Move to the next computer and consider not making any changes on your workstation.
- Opt for ‘Stop Hosting Multi-User Access‘ option.
- If you see File Must be closed window, hit on the ‘Yes‘ tab.
Verify the services
- Check if the ‘QuickBooksDBXX’ and ‘QBCFMonitor Service‘ are active.
- Tap on the ‘Start‘ button on your computer.
- Hit the ‘Windows + R‘ keys to open ‘Run‘ command.
- Type ‘MSC‘ in the box and hit on the ‘Enter‘ key, on your keyboard.
- In service window, scroll down and choose the ‘QuickBooksDBXX‘ service.
- If QuickBooksDBXX Service is unavailable:
- Use Database Server Manager and check if the Database Server Manager is installed on the server.
- In case you run the complete program on the server, select and verify that hosting is enabled in QuickBooks.
- Double-click on the ‘QuickBooksDBXX service‘ and verify the ‘Startup Type and service status‘ has begun.
- Opt for the ‘Recovery‘ option
- Restart your computer. It will automatically restart ‘QuickBooksDB‘ service if it fails. Repeat the process for Second failure.
- ‘Save‘ all the changes.
- Repeat the above steps for ‘QBCFMonitor Service‘.
- Finally, launch QuickBooks on the computer in ‘Multi-user mode‘.
3rd Solution: Configure Firewall to communicate with QuickBooks
Uninstall any antivirus, windows defender or other protection tools that Windows came equipped with.
- Fix ‘Connection Windows Firewall‘ Settings
- Right-click on ‘Outbound Rules‘, and hit on the ‘New Rule‘
- Opt for ‘Ports‘ and then hit on ‘Next‘.
- Choose ‘TCP‘ in the local ports box.
- Now, hit a click on ‘Next‘ and Allow the ‘Connection‘ tab.
- Tap on ‘Next‘ and enter a file name in the name field, for example, “QuickBooks ports” and hit ‘Finish‘.
- Follow the same steps for the Inbound Rules.
- Now, launch QuickBooks in ‘Multi-user mode‘.
4th Solution: Ensure that your server is added to the Windows host file
- If the issue persists even after configuring system firewall, edit the ‘Windows hosts file‘.
5th Solution: Create a new folder to store QuickBooks company file and share it on all computers by allowing access to share company files
- Create a ‘New folder’ on the hosting computer and share it.
- Set windows to ‘Allow permissions‘ to share company files.
- Save or copy the ‘.qbw file‘ in the new folder.
- Open your QuickBooks company files in multi-user mode.
6th Solution: Repair/Update QuickBooks
- Hit on the ‘Windows‘ button and access the ‘Control Panel‘.
- Tap on ‘Programs and Features‘ and then QuickBooks.
- Now, dive into the ‘Change/Repair‘ option.
- Read the prompts and ‘Allow‘ the positive options.
- Once the repairing is over, Update QuickBooks to the latest release.
See Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 15221?
7th Solution: Open up network ports QuickBooks to Communicate configure the firewall
- The first step is to visit the ‘Windows firewall settings‘.
- And then, go for the ‘outbound rules‘ and then tap on ‘new rule‘.
- After that, the user needs to hit on ‘ports‘ and then tap on ‘Next‘.
- Next step is to choose ‘TCP in the local ports box‘.
- Once done with that, the user needs to opt for ‘allow the connection option’, and then provide the port name.
- Now, hit on the ‘finish‘ option.
- And then, carry out the same steps for ‘Inbound rules‘. All you need to do is to select inbound rule instead of outbound rule.
- The last step is to try to run QuickBooks in ‘multi user mode‘.
8th Solution: Using QuickBooks connection diagnostic tool
- You need to first download and install QuickBooks connection diagnostic tool.
- Furthermore, run the tool and let it scan the QuickBooks company file folder.
- Take note of the IP address shown when the tool runs.
- Enable the ports that have the open ports tab in the firewall status section.
- Carry out the wizard instruction till the end.
- Try opening the file from the system and check if the issue persists.
To Wrap up!
If you implement the above-enumerated solutions carefully, you should most likely be able to fix QuickBooks Error H101, H202, H303, or H505. In case the issue still persists, get immediate solutions from our QuickBooks enterprise support experts.
Other helpful topics: